Spinoff: Poor Golf Course Conditions

DataDude

I Hate LIV
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
My question on layout or conditioning brought me to another question. Where is the line crossed for a course to be in poor condition verses it being in ok condition. Obviously all courses are not pristine so where does a course cross the line into "I don't really enjoy playing there anymore"?

My question on layout or conditioning brought me to another question. Where is the line crossed for a course to be in poor condition verses it being in ok condition. Obviously all courses are not pristine so where does a course cross the line into "I don't really enjoy playing there anymore"?

When it becomes less about weather caused or people caused and more about the course not being able to care for it anymore.

When it becomes less about weather caused or people caused and more about the course not being able to care for it anymore.
I hate when I read reviews and someone is blaming weather related issues on the maintenance crew. Last year we had more rain in Louisville than any year in recorded history and people were giving courses 3* reviews because of spots with standing water, this year we have had 2" of rain over the last 4 months and people are complaining about brown grass. It's like people expect golf course crews to make the course impervious to weather.

T

I think it’s a question of whether conditioning is a priority for the course owner. If it’s a Municipal owned facility, they may have a more limited budget or revenues may be going to fund things other than the golf course.

It usually starts with the greens; if they are in really poor shape - effecting the true roll of the ball, causing you to miss putts, then that course is pretty much a "no go".

When it’s obvious the ownership isn’t trying. Oil spots on the greens, when you see the staff picking up range balls with a shag bag.
There comes a point when it’s just time to let it go.
Otherwise if I’m paying premium prices and they’re not trying to provide a premium experience.

I think the greens and bunkers are the key to the final decision.
If a course is in meh condition but the greens are rolling nice and the bunkers have sand in them it probably jumps up into "ok".
If a course meh and then the greens are slow or shaggy and the bunkers are bare I'm not going back.

We get so much rain here that it takes a lot of effort for courses to keep bunkers in good shape, hence why it's a good way to tell which courses have a higher "give a crap", or at least maintenance budget.

I think the greens and bunkers are the key to the final decision.
If a course is in meh condition but the greens are rolling nice and the bunkers have sand in them it probably jumps up into "ok".
If a course meh and then the greens are slow or shaggy and the bunkers are bare I'm not going back.

We get so much rain here that it takes a lot of effort for courses to keep bunkers in good shape, hence why it's a good way to tell which courses have a higher "give a crap", or at least maintenance budget.

yeah. Bad greens can definitely make or break a course for me.

The line is crossed when you get continual bad conditions when you’ve tried at a particular place multiple times over the course of a season.

I think the green and green surrounds are what separate things for me. I get that fairways and the rough near the fairway, heck even the tee boxes, might suffer from time to time but if the area nearest the hole is good, I’m good. In theory those should get the most attention in my book

The wife and I play a local 9 hole executive course once or twice per week and the greens are watered nicely, if not too much (huge divots when landing on the green), but the fairways are hard as rock. My wife hits the ball very low and not very far, but it rolls right up to the green. Kind of gives her a false sense of security. Hoping for some rain to help things out as they don't water the fairways there.

I'm not too worried about the bunkers honestly. If they're in bad shape, they'll penalize a bad shot. Coincidentally, that's what they're supposed to do. If you don't like them, don't hit I there.

Greens are the key. Fairways are nice and tees boxes are appreciated.

The greens have to be in reasonably decent shape and the fairways next. Not a lot if dead patches, bald spots in the fairway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back