Sports Returns-The Bubbles Will Probably Break

The indoor sports for sure. I think colleges are going to have a much more difficult time getting started because the conferences are all going to be doing different things and each school in a conference is going to have different standards and on and on and on. It's not like the pro's where the teams are all in lockstep together at least.

And a major difference is colleges and universities are educational institutions that play sports. They are not just football teams. There is more than just potential loss of games and revenue that factor into the decisions. Many more stakeholders involved in College sports extending well beyond the athletic program.

The NHL will be fine. They are going to Canada where they have their sh*t togehter in handing this and all indications are that the players are taking this very seriously with our team here in Columbus. As long as players make smart decisions they should be fine. I know the Penguins are holding some players back as a precaution.

The NBA seems like a trainwreck since I saw a player is now being held out because he walked outside the bubble to pick up a take out order.

And a major difference is colleges and universities are educational institutions that play sports. They are not just football teams. There is more than just potential loss of games and revenue that factor into the decisions. Many more stakeholders involved in College sports extending well beyond the athletic program.
Yep, even including state governments for most major universities given they are public institutions. Obviously the states are all moving in different directions on this as well.

Its only a matter of time before it all blows up. With COVID cases not only still on the rise but continuing to accelerate, there is no way that sports works in a sport that has any kind of physical contact.
Sadly though, its really more about money and about creating the perception of returning to normal than it is about safety anyways.

The NHL will be fine. They are going to Canada where they have their sh*t togehter in handing this and all indications are that the players are taking this very seriously with our team here in Columbus. As long as players make smart decisions they should be fine. I know the Penguins are holding some players back as a precaution.

Thanks for the compliment - it's been tough but we've worked hard at it. Seriously, though - can someone please explain to me why the NHL believes they need to finish the 19/20 season? It's almost August for crying out loud. We haven't had hockey in 5 months. It's 90 degrees outside. Who cares about hockey now?

Finish riding out the storm, and let's make the 20/21 season that much better. My money says if they try what they want to try, they're going to wind up scrapping 2 seasons, not just 1.

Its only a matter of time before it all blows up. With COVID cases not only still on the rise but continuing to accelerate, there is no way that sports works in a sport that has any kind of physical contact.
Sadly though, its really more about money and about creating the perception of returning to normal than it is about safety anyways.

Yes, it’s all about $$$.

Yes, it’s all about $$$.
I feel a little less bad about supporting and watching EPL because England is such a small country and the teams are mostly in London anyways and because they're so aggressive with testing.
I just have zero faith that any of the leagues here in the states are doing anything but hoping it all works out.
MLS had something like 30 cases before the restart tournament even started. I love my Columbus Crew and I'm a season ticket holder but I wont go back to games in person until COVID is done and dusted.
It's the same with racing. F1 is in such a bubble anyways and the travel is so coordinated, not to mention most of the drivers fly private and theres next to zero physical contact.
I just feel like here in the states many are in such denial about COVID still and simply want their sports back because they're bored and dont really care about the risks or possible consequences.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Thanks for the compliment - it's been tough but we've worked hard at it. Seriously, though - can someone please explain to me why the NHL believes they need to finish the 19/20 season? It's almost August for crying out loud. We haven't had hockey in 5 months. It's 90 degrees outside. Who cares about hockey now?

Finish riding out the storm, and let's make the 20/21 season that much better. My money says if they try what they want to try, they're going to wind up scrapping 2 seasons, not just 1.
Revenue in all honestly. I think they still believe next season will be 82 games starting January along with not wanting to have a year where they don’t award the cup.

Revenue in all honestly. I think they still believe next season will be 82 games starting January along with not wanting to have a year where they don’t award the cup.
The almighty dollar again. Interesting bit of research - the two times the cup wasn't awarded were due to a lockout in 2005 and <gasp> a pandemic in 1919.

Not trying to preach anything here, but we have to remember that sports, even at the professional level are just a game. Human life, and the loss of are a very serious issue.

The almighty dollar again. Interesting bit of research - the two times the cup wasn't awarded were due to a lockout in 2005 and <gasp> a pandemic in 1919.

Not trying to preach anything here, but we have to remember that sports, even at the professional level are just a game. Human life, and the loss of are a very serious issue.
It is a game but it is a business just as much. Fortunately these athletes are in peak physical condition which seems to be a big plus since nobody who has contracted it has experienced and major negative symptoms. If one does I think they will certainly reassess. I do think those in charge on both sides as players and the leagues have looked at the available information and are making informed decisions.

I think getting them moving does a lot for morale as well. After 9/11 happened, we had sports to help us come together as a country. With this we've had literally nothing as an entertainment distraction for 3+ months. I'm certainly looking forward to the time we can get people back in the stands so we can get arena workers back to work as well.

There is no way the NBA maintains theirs.
Is been 1 week and already multiple players have broke the bubble

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

There is no way the NBA maintains theirs.
Is been 1 week and already multiple players have broke the bubble

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Spoiled, entitled people are going to test their limits, because often the rules don't apply to them. The fact they've already caught multiple for fairly mild breaches seems to be a good sign and mean they are running a pretty tight ship.

I'm not really going to pay much attention to pro sports this year. Especially the nba. Certainly not going to go out of my way to watch any of it.

About the only sports thing I might keep track of is how well Brady does with Tampa Bay. Not really a fan of his, or the Tampa Bay team. Just curious. Kind of the same curiosity with Newton and New England. McCarthy in Dallas might be interesting too.

It won't surprise me if C-19 actually does shut pro sports down before their championships are decided. Then again, there's all those pay checks involved. Money usually trumps safety.

Back