Sports Returns-The Bubbles Will Probably Break

ToohipGottaGo

Man That's Some Hair
Reaction score
Handicap
Not Good
With all the sports starting and trying to "bubble them" anyone else think this is going to be epic Failure? I think you have young kids with lots of money that think they're invincible and will break the rules for their own benefit. Just a thought but the NBA and MLS have already had this happen. Baseball isn't technically in a bubble so there will be trouble for them and the NFL is going to be an epic breeding ground for COVID. Something catastrophic is going to happen. I hope not but the numbers don't lie. :confused2::unsure:

With states going backwards I don't see anyway this works for any sport where there is contact involved.

I don't know about catastrophic, but it's definitely not going to work. As a hockey fan, I noted that yesterday Corey Crawford was deemed "unfit to play" by the Chicago Blackhawks. Here's where I think this whole idea starts to get ridiculous. I'm already not a fan of the way the NHL is doing this playoff thing. Now, what's going to happen when a bunch of stars suddenly test positive and can't play? This whole thing is going to come crashing down on them.

I think it's a poorly designed experiment that is doomed to failure.

What would be catastrophic to you?
One of the older coaches or team assistants gets it and ends up in the hospital and dies. I wouldn't limit this to older either, as Florida has proven even young people will get this and die. Not to be morbid but I think it will happen. It's not if but when.

One of the older coaches or team assistants gets it and ends up in the hospital and dies. I wouldn't limit this to older either, as Florida has proven even young people will get this and die. Not to be morbid but I think it will happen. It's not if but when.
So not any different than everyday life currently? Except your contacts are monitored and controlled.
The "bubble" concept isn't perfect, but I bet the risk is much less than going to the grocery store or a restaurant.

Probably not any worse than things seem to be elsewhere. I mean the NBA should already know there are going to be people that get it. Teams are not going to sit alone for the months or so that this season takes to finish. Look at PGA the most socially distant activity/sport you can do any caddies/players tested positive. It will happen what are they going to do to limit spread/peak.

So not any different than everyday life currently? Except your contacts are monitored and controlled.
The "bubble" concept isn't perfect, but I bet the risk is much less than going to the grocery store or a restaurant.
I don't disagree with that. My point is if say someone like "Pops" or "Torts"(even though he is a few years younger than Pops) gets sick even in a controlled environment there will be hell to pay for that. I don't want anything to happen to anybody but as @jdtox said earlier, this still isn't going to work for the most part.

I would bet money none of these leagues have fans in 2020. I doubt college football plays at all.

Unfortunately I have a feeling any sports bubble outside of golf will pop very quickly!

As far as I can tell we are not in a totalitarian regime (although many in this country seem to think so) so all of the players/coaches/support staff are able to decide whether or not they want to participate in their job going forward.

Not participating may impact their future employment and ability to pay their bills going forward, participating may increase their risk of getting covid-19 and the risks that entails.

Like every business they are having to make the best of the poop sandwich that is 2020 in USA. I hope sports return, and I hope that everyone (affiliated with sports or otherwise) doesn't get it and we move forward.

As long as the leagues are doing it in the safest way they can, then I have no issue with it. If we were short of tests, short of medical services and they were putting the general public in danger, I would start to be concerned, but as it stands if I was in their shoes I would be pushing ahead full steam as they seem to be.

This thread is going to end up going south.

I don't disagree with that. My point is if say someone like "Pops" or "Torts"(even though he is a few years younger than Pops) gets sick even in a controlled environment there will be hell to pay for that. I don't want anything to happen to anybody but as @jdtox said earlier, this still isn't going to work for the most part.
Who has hell to pay?
Everyone knows the risks.

same as the millions of people going back to work in factories, offices, etc. No clue who pops and torts are but they aren't any different.

I fear the worst, but I hope it works out.

Unfortunately I have a feeling any sports bubble outside of golf will pop very quickly!
agreed... I would love to talk to the planner that did the NBA... maybe I need to read a little deeper, but all the playoff contenders play in Disney World... then what bed time after showers?

its been proven COVID is spreading at bars because social distancing doesnt exist. not saying the players go to bars, but can guarantee they dont sit around with cards...

What are PGA Pros allowed to do during Tourneys? they have to report Mondays for checks? they rent a house for the week and just chill by their lonesome?

Who has hell to pay?
Everyone knows the risks.

same as the millions of people going back to work in factories, offices, etc. No clue who pops and torts are but they aren't any different.
In this day and age you honestly can't tell me if something happens to someone, the family is going to hold the league responsible for restarting. Whether they agreed to their family member doing it or not this is the way America works. It's a very litigious country and it will happen. It will turn into a crapshow no matter what.

Greg Popovich-NBA
John Tortorella-NHL

To very popular coaches, over 60 that are very outspoken.

I don't want this thread to go south. I know everyone has their opinions on the subject but just putting this out there to see how people think. We all live in different parts of the country with very different rules on how this is being played out.

I see team sports going south and cancelling all together. But I think, golf, tennis and these individual type of sports can continue. I just hope they let them if the "big" team sports shut down again.

In this day and age you honestly can't tell me if something happens to someone, the family is going to hold the league responsible for restarting. Whether they agreed to their family member doing it or not this is the way America works.

Sadly the truth. No one wants to take personal responsibility. Don't worry about keeping yourself safe, expect the government others to do it for you. Then sue, because freedom or something.

I knew "Pop".

I'm not an NBA guy but I know him as Pop and Pops. Very respected coach.

Where's @Molten when you need him. Chime in here brother with your take. I know you've got something to say. ;)

With states going backwards I don't see anyway this works for any sport where there is contact involved.

I agree. It's not only contact but also the fact that the players will be in close proximity to others. Even without contact, there are concerns.

Well the local pro soccer team played this past weekend, and was 30% capacity with fans.
I went to the game, but not sure I will go to the next. In general, rules were followed, but I was shocked how many people did not follow the mask rule, nor did they stay socially distant. While the stands had seats blocked off to promote distance, the concourses and standing areas had pockets of people that were a bit crowded. I won’t be surprised if they go back to no fans.

I'm not an NBA guy but I know him as Pop and Pops. Very respected coach.

Where's @Molten when you need him. Chime in here brother with your take. I know you've got something to say. ;)
I do? Well, ok. I’ll try but I’m really not all that opinionated on this one. I think basketball has the best chance of pulling it off of the contact sports. Football seems really difficult but I haven’t seen the plans, so I’ll reserve judgment. Baseball doesn’t have a bubble, so it’s got no shot. Golf? Golf is good.

I know I would opt out if I was a star athlete based on the unknowns, but also because stars are already filthy rich.

I want to see sports, but I am skeptical how they don't have an impact on the numbers going up even with partial crowds and precautions in place.

They should start worrying about 2021 and beyond, too.
The indoor sports for sure. I think colleges are going to have a much more difficult time getting started because the conferences are all going to be doing different things and each school in a conference is going to have different standards and on and on and on. It's not like the pro's where the teams are all in lockstep together at least.

Back