Spotted Lantern Flies!!

Someone in my town had a couple recently as well

What... are... those... good grief!

1622035327436.gif

I just bought one of these to take down to Mexico.
¡Muerte a todas las moscas!
bug zapper.PNG

Even with the tape and chicken wire to protect against birds getting trapped, I caught a bird so I stopped the sticky trap use. I get an arborist to spray the trees the slf goes after, mostly maples and have had great success for 2 years. It sucks but I don't want to lose any trees or the gardens under them - the honeydew droppings coat everything and kill a lot of plants under the infested trees.

A lot of vineyards have reported 100% loss of grapes vines in the area. It's awful.

The little black and white spotted devils are here. It may be a rough year with lantern flies.
1623680179369.jpeg

I think you are supposed to call someone if/when you see them along with trying to kill them.

I think you are supposed to call someone if/when you see them along with trying to kill them.
Yup, we didn’t have a single one in 2019 and then last year they showed up in full force in August. Our county is in the quarantine zone in Pennsylvania, so they’re pretty much everywhere at this point. But definitely kill on sight!

Yup, we didn’t have a single one in 2019 and then last year they showed up in full force in August. Our county is in the quarantine zone in Pennsylvania, so they’re pretty much everywhere at this point. But definitely kill on sight!
The nymphs are back in my garden. My larger trees have had 1 treatment already, but the smaller trees I use a soil drench so anything feeding on them will not enjoy it. Tough to time it right after flowering so no bees are caught in the cross fire.

Of course I have seen no cicadas where I live, just at Iron valley where my group was attacked, but only during our back swings...

Just cut down some tree limbs and the young nymphs were all over.

I am just hoping this year is better than previous years. You couldn't walk without lanternflies flying around your feet. These invasive bugs are just killing all the trees.

This invasive species came from my neighboring county of Berks PA. Started there and have just progressively moved county to county in PA each year.

They’re here.

I saw a few at a job site out in Lansdale, PA, but here at home, though I saw nymphs a month ago, no adults yet. The treatments seem to be working. I am hoping it is a lighter year.

Nymphs starting to pop up. I hate these things so much.

We dont have these. They seem terrible.

Just saw that one popped up in Buffalo last week. Don’t know much about them but from the sounds of it they’re not good

You can actually track these to Berks County PA being the place they started.

At least they are not as bad as in years past. You would go to swing your club and they jumped on your ball or you. They were like a swarm.

Just saw that one popped up in Buffalo last week. Don’t know much about them but from the sounds of it they’re not good
Kill on site!!!!! They don’t damage any of the plants we have but they were EVERYWHERE last year.

You can actually track these to Berks County PA being the place they started.

At least they are not as bad as in years past. You would go to swing your club and they jumped on your ball or you. They were like a swarm.
Stink bugs, lantern flies, PA needs to be more careful!

Back