Spotted Lantern Flies!!

FrancisD

Reaction score
Handicap
Anyone else dealing with these? If so are you using a pet friendly spray? At this point I don't think I could spray enough...

image000000 (1).jpgimage000000.jpg

Ugh. I'd be using a flamethrower!

What are they? Why do you need to spray for them? What good do they do? What harm do they do?

Wow. I haven’t heard of those before. Did a google search and after learning about them, I don’t think @Snowman is wrong - I’d use a flamethrower too!

What are they? Why do you need to spray for them? What good do they do? What harm do they do?
Apparently they are an invasive species from China that have no known natural enemy. They kill lots of plants and trees. And they are freakin annoying, they jump all over the place including on me.

Praying Mantis I do believe they have a uncanny ability to hunt invasive species. Have you tried calling the ag department to see if they can take care of them or if they have a safe recommended spray.

Call in a air strike!

😎

I’m on the west side of Lebanon County and we’re just starting to see them. 20 minutes east they’re pretty abundant already. My parents are in Allentown and they’re everywhere. Kill on sight!

Damnit PA, take care of your business!

I’ve got enough problems of my own.

Thank you China for another infection ! :mad:

From the state that brought you stink bugs, we now bring you spotted lantern flies!

Never seen those before. Would be cool to unleash an army of praying mantii upon them. :cool:

tenor.gif

Never seen those before. Would be cool to unleash an army of praying mantii upon them. :cool:

How does one find an army of these?

In my experience, if you want to find the Army, you look in the back of the planes that the Air Force flew into the combat zone... or maybe look for them to jump out the back over the combat zone.

I honestly have no idea. We happen to have a friend who brings us an egg sack every once in a while so we can hopefully get more around our house but it hasn't worked yet.

If you really wanted to pursue it, I'd try to find local nature centers, garden centers, entomologists, etc to talk to.

Hate these things. About three years ago my area was infested to the point that you couldn’t walk three steps without stepping on one. By last fall they were all but gone, apparently they migrate in droves. Now this year I’m starting to see them again. Regular bug spray doesn’t work on them, but brake part cleaner does.

Some people look for the perfect Christmas tree, but I look for the one with the praying mantis egg sack 😆

Efff these things are now here in full force. I’ve killed 5X more today than i ever have before.

Efff these things are now here in full force. I’ve killed 5X more today than i ever have before.

Unfortunately I cut down the 6 most affected trees because they were so close to the house but I have an abundance of trees and probably needed to do it anyway. I decided against spraying because we have a lot of wildlife on the property so I started using tree tape with chicken wire around it and its been working; we haven't had any animals/birds/bats caught in the tape. I have also started to hunt out their egg masses and started sweeping the property and eliminating them. I heard that dogs can sniff out the egg masses so I put my 13 year old diabetic/deaf/half blind chi-poo on the case but he is failing...

Unfortunately I cut down the 6 most affected trees because they were so close to the house but I have an abundance of trees and probably needed to do it anyway. I decided against spraying because we have a lot of wildlife on the property so I started using tree tape with chicken wire around it and its been working; we haven't had any animals/birds/bats caught in the tape. I have also started to hunt out their egg masses and started sweeping the property and eliminating them. I heard that dogs can sniff out the egg masses so I put my 13 year old diabetic/deaf/half blind chi-poo on the case but he is failing...
I’ll probably be throwing up some tape/wire and looking for egg masses. Our 6 month old puppies fared no better than your pup in mitigating the infestation.

These are a very invasive species. They actually have no sex and are each born with 1000 or so eggs. They have become a major issue here in PA. Two years ago, you couldn't walk outside without having to flick these bugs off you. This year is not as bad.

They were brought over from China and somehow were tracked to my area to be ground zero in Berks County PA. They have slowly moved to cover many counties in PA. The only thing I have seen that works are the praying mantis. The Praying Mantis will eat the lanternflies, but Praying Mantis are few and far from being prevalent

Back