Spyglass Hill 6/28 - What will Heez shoot?

Looks like we are facing the coldest day of the week and 10-15mph of wind. I fear that Spyglass might show her teeth. Who is feeling confident about their guess?

Car is loaded, clubs are cleaned and the shoes are shined. Getting up early to make the drive to the Peninsula. Should have plenty of time to hit the range and practice bunker. Body is feeling good and looking forward to the walk. Finally playing Spyglass!!

Enjoy...43/43...86

Go have a great round sir!

Enjoy the round! Wind picking up doesn't sound promising. I'm going to go with a 92, but I hope it is lower!

Good luck today and take lots of pictures

Enjoy, Gold plays much longer then the started yardage, be thinking an extra club most of your round. Also #5 always has a sneaky breeze, and plays more uphill then it appears from the tee box.

Have fun, one of my favorites.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

7ced647b2abbf4616d9a164aed4d12df.jpg

Getting close.

ba75fde7b0b255af90786e8246be73ef.jpg

And here is the prize.

Time to put the peg in the dirt and get this party started.
354789e4ed47e50eed88a1f26b9cfd40.jpg

Last edited:
Good luck!!

Through 2 at +2. Couple of bogeys.
a4ec074614783ddcbb80b0a461681458.jpg

Last edited:
Now +5 after a double on 4. Not playing bad, but certainly not good. Such a gorgeous course!
cf3c30996426b5d10a414da8cf0f6628.jpg

821ddb3fca61a61026d5e389a5bd76b1.jpg

Might have to slow the updates. Battery taking a hit.

Last edited:
New goal...keep it under 100. Starting to hit golf shots but it’s been ugly. So much fun out here though!
8d95918522a704d99f839f3c18e21135.jpg

Last edited:
Six over through five on the back. Such a fun tough course.
562a35118aa718949ea340794399b6e7.jpg

Last edited:
Four good tee shots on 15 and tap in pars for all. Special moment.
1bf0f6c0bb8acaadd9b43cd1ee6b5f71.jpg

Last edited:
3f7bd44d1053823ade928e22672d7feb.jpg

Got the driver working on the back. I think there was just one correct guess but will confirm. 93 is the final tally. My thoughts later. Time for a beer.

Congrats, even though i know you're not very happy with a 93 - fact is that's a good score for a 10 hcp on that course. You shot a lot better than i thought you would.

Nice. Finished with a par even.

Looks like Spy was showing her teeth out there. Not too shabby playing with that kinda wind

Good job!!!! Thanks for the updates!

Well I wanted to thank you all for following along and a special congrats to @6ixOhFore with a correct guess of 93 on the day! PM me your mailing information and I will get that head cover out to you!

Yesterday was a lot of fun, despite having true issues with my golf swing. After a fantastic warmup an old friend that I hadn't see in awhile crept up on the first tee, the lovely smother hook! My front nine consisted of me trying to fix this issue by playing more to the right and really slinging the ball, it was somewhat playable but just dog $#!T most of the time. My buddy made the observation that instead of trying to correct a flawed swing (& getting worse because of the corrections ie. aiming further right) I just needed to try and hit a cut. So I did and suddenly I was pounding driver and making actual golf swings. I chalk this up to lack of playing time. Despite all this I was pleased with my 93, it is a challenging course and I wasn't too far off my goal of breaking 90!

As for the course, parts of it were magical (I think #1 is one of the better holes on the course), some of it was dumb (three ridiculously downhill par 3s) and all of it was beautifully maintained. I like how on #7 the pond is more an issue on your second shot if you are trying to get aggressive and really not anything if you are playing as a three shot hole. The greens were incredibly tough to read and I can't tell you how many lip outs or hard turns our ball took three inches before the cup. Also, the pins were nasty yesterday! The yardage book on so many holes said "don't want to putt from above the hole", and then the cup is five paces on, over a bunker! Add in the cool temps and the wind that seemed to always be in our face and it was tough!

I struggle to say it is worth what they charge, I think Poppy Hills is every bit the course that Spyglass is (minus the ocean holes), but I had an absolute blast playing with my friends. I think having seen the course and a little cleanup of my game I feel like I could get into the mid-low 80s (I used to be better at this game) and look forward to testing that theory in the future.

Thanks again all, it was a fun journey!

Jealous, I need to get out there and play this one. Such a tough but amazing track from everything I hear.

@TheHeez what yardage did you play? Also thanks for sharing your experience!

Well I wanted to thank you all for following along and a special congrats to @6ixOhFore with a correct guess of 93 on the day! PM me your mailing information and I will get that head cover out to you!

Yesterday was a lot of fun, despite having true issues with my golf swing. After a fantastic warmup an old friend that I hadn't see in awhile crept up on the first tee, the lovely smother hook! My front nine consisted of me trying to fix this issue by playing more to the right and really slinging the ball, it was somewhat playable but just dog $#!T most of the time. My buddy made the observation that instead of trying to correct a flawed swing (& getting worse because of the corrections ie. aiming further right) I just needed to try and hit a cut. So I did and suddenly I was pounding driver and making actual golf swings. I chalk this up to lack of playing time. Despite all this I was pleased with my 93, it is a challenging course and I wasn't too far off my goal of breaking 90!

As for the course, parts of it were magical (I think #1 is one of the better holes on the course), some of it was dumb (three ridiculously downhill par 3s) and all of it was beautifully maintained. I like how on #7 the pond is more an issue on your second shot if you are trying to get aggressive and really not anything if you are playing as a three shot hole. The greens were incredibly tough to read and I can't tell you how many lip outs or hard turns our ball took three inches before the cup. Also, the pins were nasty yesterday! The yardage book on so many holes said "don't want to putt from above the hole", and then the cup is five paces on, over a bunker! Add in the cool temps and the wind that seemed to always be in our face and it was tough!

I struggle to say it is worth what they charge, I think Poppy Hills is every bit the course that Spyglass is (minus the ocean holes), but I had an absolute blast playing with my friends. I think having seen the course and a little cleanup of my game I feel like I could get into the mid-low 80s (I used to be better at this game) and look forward to testing that theory in the future.

Thanks again all, it was a fun journey!
Great recap. I agree on your "Great course, poor value" summary...if you're looking for views and being by the ocean that 1-5 provide, Pebble provides that the entire round and isn't that much more expensive. If you're looking for a high quality inland course like holes 6-18, Poppy gives you that for a much better price. Still, it's a pretty special place and number 1 is a GREAT starting hole!

Back