square face at setup- How do you know?

Acesteve

Reaction score
Handicap
Driver
for a while, I have believed that I pull the ball or shut the face early in my putting stroke. After closer inspection, I'm starting to believe I set up slightly closed. I arrived at this by letting the putter set on the floor naturally and noticed it looks a bit open to me. When I grip it to look like it is on the store I notice I'm able to start the ball on a straighter line. I can't rule out user issues.

How do you determin if what you think is square at address is really square?

Have you tried an @seemoreputters before? Their RST does remove the squaring variable.

for a while, I have believed that I pull the ball or shut the face early in my putting stroke. After closer inspection, I'm starting to believe I set up slightly closed. I arrived at this by letting the putter set on the floor naturally and noticed it looks a bit open to me. When I grip it to look like it is on the store I notice I'm able to start the ball on a straighter line. I can't rule out user issues.

How do you determin if what you think is square at address is really square?
outside of trying a SeeMore as @JB suggested I would say a SAM putter fitting. I had no idea my face was closed at setup until then. Square actually looks open to my eye so it takes some getting used to.

I just do

Use a ball with a line drawn around the circumference. Get behind the ball and using the line, aim it at your target. The putter face should be perpendicular to the line on the ball. If the putter is lined up poorly, it will show.

Even if you just grab a lower end model, I can't recommend a Seemore enough for working on alignment. It takes pretty much all of the guess work out of it and let's you focus more on pace.

A fitting will give you the data.

You can get a cheap laser off of Amazon and a small mirror to tape to the face of the club. Use the laser to from beyond the hole looking back at where the putter will be addressed. Then with the laser off take your address with the putter with the mirror attached. Then have someone else turn the laser on and see if it's point back straight at the center of the hole. If it's closed the laser will reflect left for a right handed player, if the face is open the laser will point right for a right handed player.

Edel has special tools for fitting his putters, but this video will give you an idea of the concept:

Square actually looks open to my eye so it takes some getting used to.

i was able to find a square edge on a platform I have with weight equipement on it. square on my putter absolutly looks open. inherently the grip on the putter in my hand makes me want to setup closed. I might need to swap the grip out

I use an intermeadiate (12"-18") inches spot in front of my ball on my chosen line.

I then square my putter face up to that line, and spot.

My feet, and shoulders follow my putter face.

After years of doing this, it's like being on auto pilot.

Mark a 90 square or use brickie,line ( coloured string line ) and use that as guidance , I set up a artifical grass square on a square sheet of timber ply , that became reference for what is square and what appears to be square … which probably won’t be the same for many lol .

That’s a simple way we can all do without instruments or aids … and set up in backyard

Potentially too your perception of square may be influential in your swing too , so repeating what is rather than what isn’t will held all round game

Back