Squaring the club face

Pirate95

Let it snow......
Reaction score
Handicap
OOB 13.6
I have a problem getting the club face square at impact, but only with my driver-3w and 3/4 hybrids. I seem to have no problems with my irons. I know it's hard to say without seeing my swing, but, could this a grip issue or more likely a swing flaw? I've been compensating by turning the club face closed, it looks exaggerated at address but sure enough the ball flies straight.

Good question. My thoughts are that it would be more of a grip issue that is not allowing you to square up. When you grip the club I want you to look at the crease or "v" between your thumb and hand is pointing. I want the v's of both hands to be parallel to each other and they should point to the right shoulder (for right handed players). Give that a try and see what you get. Let me know.

Thanks for the tip. I've been to the range 3x since adjusting my grip. My problem was my left hand, it was not on top enough. I used to leave my thumb straight on top of the grip when I put my right pinky between the left index and middle fingers. Now I take my left thumb and wrap it around the grip, allowing my hand to move on top more,before I tuck in the pinky. It took a little getting used to, not much really, but this totally stopped my late slice. I couldn't believe how such a simple change could make such a dramatic difference in ball flight. You probably just took 10 strokes off my handicap. My second shot will no longer begin with trying to find my ball then having to make my best shot just to recover from my drive.

You really are a Pro ! Great job and many thanks!

Back