Srixon moving up in market share in golf ball category

Alez367

Formerly Carlos C.
Reaction score
Handicap
Per Noelle this morning, srixon has now surpassed Bridgestone in market share in the golf ball category

https://twitter.com/noelleeeez/status/1155114748549091329?s=21

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

About 20 years ago, when Bridgestone was a year or so into using the Bridgestone brand name for the US market, I think the company had about a 4% or 5% market share. Back then I think Srixon had about a 2% or 3% market share of USA golf ball market.

I played and still play a Srixon ball from time to time. Great performance and a great company. Good for Srixon.

I’ve been playing those balls for years now. Glad I was ahead of the wave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

It will help if they keep offering awesome deals like the Father’s Day BOGO. That beats most of the DTC pricing for urethane balls.

It will help if they keep offering awesome deals like the Father’s Day BOGO. That beats most of the DTC pricing for urethane balls.

I agree. I played Srixon previously because it was a ball that worked well for my swing and was priced really well compared to others. It’s hard to beat they deals for a quality ball.

How long is BOGO sustainable? How much of an impact on sales does it have?

Really happy to hear this. Not surprised, great products.

About 20 years ago, when Bridgestone was a year or so into using the Bridgestone brand name for the US market, I think the company had about a 4% or 5% market share. Back then I think Srixon had about a 2% or 3% market share of USA golf ball market.

Hmmmm. I don’t believe this is accurate. Srixon started selling a small amount of balls in the early 2000s and Srixon came to North America officially not until 2007.

I’ve been playing those balls for years now. Glad I was ahead of the wave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I should have listened to you a couple years ago...

I doubt BOGO is sustainable for very long, I hope they were just trying to get their product into people's golf bags. Because out of all the major brands the Srixon premium tour balls are still the best value at retail prices.

They make a great ball. The Zstar is stellar under any conditions and spins around the greens like crazy.

Srixon moving up in market share in golf ball category

Good for them. Great ball great company.

Just units not $$$ per Noelle on social

Very cool. Been playing the Z-star quite a bit this season and enjoying them quite a bit

Makes sense. Their BOGO was the best deal of the year; happy to see people take advantage of it. Their ball lineup is as good as any imo.

No clue on how long it’s sustainable, but if the response here was any indication of how the market reacted then I’d say it had a big impact on units sold. But they have offered various deals in the past, so I’m sure we’ll continue to see them in the future.

I don’t believe they have the consumer base to compete with the big names at $45+ dozens. But I think they’d be very successful at around $35 a dozen for their flagship lines.

When I sasw Noelle's tweet this morning, that was the first factor that popped in my mind. 'm certain the BOGO deal had a large impact on the units sold but, like others, I wondered about how sustainable that strategy could be. I know I took full advantage. All said, I think I ended up with 8 dozen. I've never bought 8 dozen balls, of any kind, at one time in my life but the deal was just too good to pass up.

Using Gen 5 Yellow Z Stars and played my best round in 2 years. Was it the ball? Probably not, but it didn't hurt.

Dave

doubt BOGO is sustainable for very long, I hope they were just trying to get their product into people's golf bags. Because out of all the major brands the Srixon premium tour balls are still the best value at retail prices.

No clue on how long it’s sustainable, but if the response here was any indication of how the market reacted then I’d say it had a big impact on units sold. But they have offered various deals in the past, so I’m sure we’ll continue to see them in the future.

I don’t believe they have the consumer base to compete with the big names at $45+ dozens. But I think they’d be very successful at around $35 a dozen for their flagship lines.

When I sasw Noelle's tweet this morning, that was the first factor that popped in my mind. 'm certain the BOGO deal had a large impact on the units sold but, like others, I wondered about how sustainable that strategy could be. I know I took full advantage. All said, I think I ended up with 8 dozen. I've never bought 8 dozen balls, of any kind, at one time in my life but the deal was just too good to pass up.

I need to grab some and give them a try.

The BOGO got me to try out 2 dozen. I have liked them a lot so far. The free dozen I got might get them more sales down the line. If this sale influenced more people like they did me, it would have been worth it.

IMO- Srixon has the best overall ball offering in Golf.
From the Soft Feel to the Z-Star, they have a ball for all skill levels, that are priced competitively...

IMO- Srixon has the best overall ball offering in Golf.
From the Soft Feel to the Z-Star, they have a ball for all skill levels, that are priced competitively...

Is that from playing their product or your first hand experience at GG? I’d be interested to hear how they sell at your store if possible.

I'm not sure why but this seems surprising to me. It's been pretty cool watching Srixon really start to take off the past few years. The Srixon and Bridgestone golf ball battle could be a fun one to watch going forward.

So my question is.... what are the costs for a premium golf ball? Went into a local shop yesterday and they still had all Srixon balls BOGO. Which would be 2 dozen for $40 on both Z star models (which is a great deal in my opinion).

The reason I ask is that we have seen DTC balls at close to that price point. DTC is not paying a cut to retailers but Srixon has more items to spread their costs over, and I don't know if they have their own ball facility or are paying to have them made somewhere else....

Either way, do we know that BOGO is a money loser for Srixon? And if so, is it possibly made up in long term product sales? I really don't know, I am just asking the questions since that seems to be of concern.

Is that from playing their product or your first hand experience at GG? I’d be interested to hear how they sell at your store if possible.

Two years ago, my store (I work at a DICK’S two nights a month) didn’t even carry the XVs or the Q-Star Tour (at launch). The Srixon balls were an after thought.

Last year we got the trial pack displays - $10 for 2 sleeves of the Z-Star, Z-Star XV, and Q-Star Tour. We sold out of the trial packs and now carry the full line of their balls and they sell well (Titleist & Callaway are still the most popular, but Srixon sells better than Taylor Made & Bridgestone at my store).

I’ve also played the Z-Star along side the Chrome Soft for the last couple of seasons. And during the winter months, I play the QST. The Q-Star is a great two piece ball at its price point.

I think the reason that the overall Srixon offering is the best out there is the QST. The QST is a great ball for the price and the other OEM’s offer in the $30-35 dollar price point is lacking from a price to performance ratio. The Project A is a great ball too, but is it $5 per dozen better than the QST? Probably not...

Two years ago, my store (I work at a DICK’S two nights a month) didn’t even carry the XVs or the Q-Star Tour (at launch). The Srixon balls were an after thought.

Last year we got the trial pack displays - $10 for 2 sleeves of the Z-Star, Z-Star XV, and Q-Star Tour. We sold out of the trial packs and now carry the full line of their balls and they sell well (Titleist & Callaway are still the most popular, but Srixon sells better than Taylor Made & Bridgestone at my store).

I’ve also played the Z-Star along side the Chrome Soft for the last couple of seasons. And during the winter months, I play the QST. The Q-Star is a great two piece ball at its price point.

I think the reason that the overall Srixon offering is the best out there is the QST. The QST is a great ball for the price and the other OEM’s offer in the $30-35 dollar price point is lacking from a price to performance ratio. The Project A is a great ball too, but is it $5 per dozen better than the QST? Probably not...

Gotcha. I do agree with you 100% the trial packs were a game changer for them as this opened up the ball to more people that were hesitant to spend $$ on a full dozen.

Back