Srixon u65 Driving Irons

Plinyyounger

Magistrate Ancient Rome
Reaction score
Handicap
fake peopl
Bought two U65's the other day after buying a 20 degree U45 from a fellow THP'ER. The U45 is fricken awesome! I used it to replace my Mizuno mp-25 3 iron. I found the U45 very easy to hit, shaft is shorter then my Mizuno, ball flight is higher, but a little shorter.

Because of my love for the club, I decided to buy the newer U65 versions. The new versions come with a nice Miyazaki graphite shaft. It should provide a little more ball speed than the steel in the U45 which should give me the extra distance I'm looking for. The Mizuno 3 iron is a great club with a xp-105 shaft, when struck on the sweet spot I can get 230-235. But the flight is very penetrating.

I am am hoping the U65 20 degree (3 iron) with give me 230 and the 18 degree (2 iron) 245 or so. I am really exited and crossing my fingers that I will enjoy these two new clubs!

Stay tuned, there may be some gear for sale one way or another, lol.

Looking forward to your thoughts pliny. I know some THPers tested these at the THP Event with Cleveland Srixon earlier this year and raved about them.

Looking forward to your thoughts pliny. I know some THPers tested these at the THP Event with Cleveland Srixon earlier this year and raved about them.

After I hit the U45, I see why some others liked the u65's. If the new version is better then the old, I'll be very happy!

Pliny which U65s did you get? Are you using them to replace the 3 and 4 now? Whichever ones you keep, you should probably get extended to match the rest of your set!

Hello - Are these easier to hit than the Hybrids(H45 or H65)?
Thank you

Looking forward to your thoughts on the U65s.

I am as well I have had my eye on the #2.

Hello - Are these easier to hit than the Hybrids(H45 or H65)?
Thank you

To be fair I have not hit the U65's yet. However the U45 I have is indeed easy to hit. As easy as the Hy's you mentioned, I don't know. Compared to a hybrid I keep around (Adams) yes it is as easy to hit. The clubs are very diff though, the u45 trajectory is between a hy and an iron, more penetrating then a hy.

I'll write down some thoughts after I receive the 65's.

Looking forward to your thoughts,been pondering the u65

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

I won a U65 3 iron at the Cleveland event with a graphite shaft. The one I got to play around and text while hitting balls had a steel shaft and was a 2 iron. I personally like the steel shaft better after hitting both. I ended up selling the 3 iron to a friend and bought the 2 iron with steel shaft. I haven't gotten to hit it yet as it just got here on Monday with my new 565 irons but I'll be sure to give my thoughts but if it's anything like the one I hit at the Cleveland event I'm going to be in love.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I won a U65 3 iron at the Cleveland event with a graphite shaft. The one I got to play around and text while hitting balls had a steel shaft and was a 2 iron. I personally like the steel shaft better after hitting both. I ended up selling the 3 iron to a friend and bought the 2 iron with steel shaft. I haven't gotten to hit it yet as it just got here on Monday with my new 565 irons but I'll be sure to give my thoughts but if it's anything like the one I hit at the Cleveland event I'm going to be in love.

Nice! What didn't you care for in the graphite? I have steel in the U45, like it, but am hoping for slightly more ball speed with the graphite I ordered.

Nice! What didn't you care for in the graphite? I have steel in the U45, like it, but am hoping for slightly more ball speed with the graphite I ordered.

It felt more whippy to me and it's longer than the steel shaft.

It felt more whippy to me and it's longer than the steel shaft.

Okay good, that will prob suit me! Fingers crossed! Lol

I bought the utilities (driving irons) http://www.srixon.com/us/clubs/z-u65-utility/MZU65.html

I am going to use the 20 as a 3 iron replacement, and the 18 as a two/driving iron (3/5 wood replacement).

I like this. I'm really glad you brought this thread. I first read it last night, and after the circus of dysfunction that was my driving off the tee today....I want one. I had the most awesome tee shot today with my driver....great flight....285-290ish left middle fairway.....awesome! Too bad that was the sixteenth hole and I already had three OB with driver off the tee. Not good - at all. I had resorted to my 4 iron, and got all but one in play; 205 - 225ish. Not bad. But, if I can get another 15 yards with one of these....I'll bench driver, I have no doubt my golf score will actually improve.

My 4 iron is 22* at 38.25" The Z U65 is 20* at 39.25" If that would give me 15 more yards, and fly as straight as my JPX 4 iron, I'll be happy.

PS. I did happen to notice that TM has the UDI 3 iron 20* at 38.75" I like that length... but from everything I've read about Srixon, they are excellent. And they look fantastic. Anyway, I'll be awaiting your analysis and results. Thanks.

Just for kicks and giggles....I went shopping for a driving iron or even a 3 at Roger Dunn today, of course they didn't have anything in left handed. Did get to hit the Fusion and Triton, different subject. Anyway... got on launch monitor and tested out some irons for off the tee.

Controller Driving iron, regular flex graphite, 12.5*, playing length 40.25".

JPX 850 Forged 4 iron, 22*, playing length 38.5" stiff flex XP115 shaft.

TM RSI 1 4 iron, 20*, playing length 39.25", Reax 90 shaft regular flex.

Swing speed on all irons was 92 - 96...96 being the controller driving iron.

Results, total distance. Controller = 243 yds/ RSI 4 = 237 yds/ JPX 4 = 231 yds
All irons hit straight and rolled. Most accurate, least dispersion was on the JPX...but it was also the shortest of the three. But the other two were also straight and nothing went OB. FWIW.

Just for kicks and giggles....I went shopping for a driving iron or even a 3 at Roger Dunn today, of course they didn't have anything in left handed. Did get to hit the Fusion and Triton, different subject. Anyway... got on launch monitor and tested out some irons for off the tee.

Controller Driving iron, regular flex graphite, 12.5*, playing length 40.25".

JPX 850 Forged 4 iron, 22*, playing length 38.5" stiff flex XP115 shaft.

TM RSI 1 4 iron, 20*, playing length 39.25", Reax 90 shaft regular flex.

Swing speed on all irons was 92 - 96...96 being the controller driving iron.

Results, total distance. Controller = 243 yds/ RSI 4 = 237 yds/ JPX 4 = 231 yds
All irons hit straight and rolled. Most accurate, least dispersion was on the JPX...but it was also the shortest of the three. But the other two were also straight and nothing went OB. FWIW.

Hmm, so what are you thinking? Results seem very good for you. Distance seems really good too. My Mizuno 3 is awesome, but I hit it low/mid height. I love to hit driver, usually the club I have most confidence in. My detriment is at the top of the bag for approaches, long fairway shots, off the tee with 3w/3I. The driving irons if the performance is what I hope, will fill these bad spots.

Hmm, so what are you thinking? Results seem very good for you. Distance seems really good too. My Mizuno 3 is awesome, but I hit it low/mid height. I love to hit driver, usually the club I have most confidence in. My detriment is at the top of the bag for approaches, long fairway shots, off the tee with 3w/3I. The driving irons if the performance is what I hope, will fill these bad spots.

I'm like you. I love to crush with the driver....it's my favorite thing about golf. But after hitting three shots OOB yesterday, I just can't afford that kind of stroke penalty. I've been snooping around ebay. I have found a couple of the U45's avail, but no 65's. I also found the TMUDI in left hand stiff. Haven't had any luck with a Miz 3 iron....I love the way my 4 plays....so I think I could make that work.

All that said, that old school controller driving iron that my neighbor gave me is hitting almost 250 when I really get it, and it's pretty straight.....so IDK. I'll probably wait until I hear what you have to say about the 65's. I could see myself trying the U45 in 18 degree, or even the TM UDI....or just being happy with what I have now. The last option is the least likely....lol.

Actually, what I should have said is that I'm not as confident as you are with the driver. I'm too wild with it. I'm looking at the driving iron as a driver replacement. I want to be more consistent, and only use my driver when it's wide open and I won't hit OOB, until I get better with it.

Actually, what I should have said is that I'm not as confident as you are with the driver. I'm too wild with it. I'm looking at the driving iron as a driver replacement. I want to be more consistent, and only use my driver when it's wide open and I won't hit OOB, until I get better with it.

I hear you my man, and by no means do I hit my driver where I want most if the time, lol. I'll give an honest opinion of the 65's when I get them!

I hear you my man, and by no means do I hit my driver where I want most if the time, lol. I'll give an honest opinion of the 65's when I get them!

I broke down and got a TM UDI in 18*. Found a deal I couldn't pass up. When I get a chance, I'll post up the numbers I get so we can compare them to the 65's. Given the choice, I'd take the Srixon's but at 25% of the cost, I was willing to settle.

For those of you that have hit the U65, how does it compare to the Apex UT? I had the opportunity to hit the u65 20* yesterday and I was quite impressed. I have a 21* apex ut, but the shaft it too soft. So I either need to swap out the shaft, or move to the u65 with the proper flex shaft. Just curious on the thoughts of this community.

Thanks

I broke down and got a TM UDI in 18*. Found a deal I couldn't pass up. When I get a chance, I'll post up the numbers I get so we can compare them to the 65's. Given the choice, I'd take the Srixon's but at 25% of the cost, I was willing to settle.
Good deal! Let us know how you like it. I'm still waiting for the 65's to be delivered.

Back