Srixon Z 355 Irons Preview

545 is something like a players game improvement club.

Likening the Srixon lineup to the Callaway lineup I think it would be something like

745 - Apex Pro
545 - Apex/XR Pro
355 - XR
155 - Bertha

I'm glad they're "combining higher head weights with ultra-high balance point shafts" because, for me with the Z545, having to have lengthened shafts, I couldn't get a swing weight below E2! That's just ridiculously heavy. Hopefully the counter-weighting or change in balance point will help them play "lighter".

545 is something like a players game improvement club.

Likening the Srixon lineup to the Callaway lineup I think it would be something like

745 - Apex Pro
545 - Apex/XR Pro
355 - XR
155 - Bertha

Fair comparison IMO.

Why launch these if you've already got a really forgiving game improvement iron in the Z 545?

I guess I just don't see how these are really going to differentiate between the 545 line. I'd actually think these might even be cannibalistic to the 545 line.

Is it just the size of the club face and the construction process that is different here?

Not knocking Srixon at all, as I game the 745 irons currently and am a huge fan of their product line.

Probably worth hitting them side by side to see the differences that a simple photo can't show.

Also, many companies are successful with a yearly iron release. Why not Srixon?

Black, red and white just go so well together. My favorite color combination by FAR.

Black, red and white just go so well together. My favorite color combination by FAR.
Mine too, though I don't think these ultimately approach the incredible looks of the 545s. That's more of a tip of the cap to the 545s than a knock on these.

Last edited:
Mine too, though I don't think these ultimately approach the incredible looks of the 545s. That more of a tip of the cap to the 545s than a knock on these.

Agree 100%. The 545s were probably the best looking irons released last year.

Agree 100%. The 545s were probably the best looking irons released last year.

I think so too. They were probably my favorite iron of the year. Thankfully mpeterson let me game his for 5-6 weeks.

Nicest looking true GI iron I think I've seen, or at least up there with the J15 Cast. These remind me more than a little of those, if I'm being honest.

Why launch these if you've already got a really forgiving game improvement iron in the Z 545?

I guess I just don't see how these are really going to differentiate between the 545 line. I'd actually think these might even be cannibalistic to the 545 line.

Is it just the size of the club face and the construction process that is different here?

Not knocking Srixon at all, as I game the 745 irons currently and am a huge fan of their product line.

expanding the market and to a different set of golfers. These will fit a lot of golfers but I'm guessing their market is for golfers with slower SS, want added forgiveness from what 545 offers. Gives them a release between the 545/745 first year release and the next one which is on a two year cycle

Did XR build upon Apex? Or was it a different release for a different person? No different here

I think so too. They were probably my favorite iron of the year. Thankfully mpeterson let me game his for 5-6 weeks.

Weirdly, having them gone was the best thing I could do for deciding on a set of clubs to play. I missed them almost immediately.

Not a knock on the release necessarily. Although, in all honesty, I think they could do more with the 745/545 line. Simply because I've played those lines enough to know that Srixon really hit a HUGE home run with those irons and I'd love to see more amateurs get their hands on them.

It'll be interesting to see these in-hand at some point. I LOVE the looks of my 745/545 set. If Srixon topped that then wow!

Valid point. Like I said, I think they could have done more with the 545/745 line but that's just my two cents.

I guess I'm still interested to understand how these build upon the previous line or if it's purely a release for the sake of putting a product out there.

I guess I don't understand what you mean by "do more with the 545/745 lines". Are you talking about from an advertising standpoint?

has gained a lot of traction since entering the market and I feel like the 545/745 line is getting some really good buzz but there's a lot of potential left. I truly believe they have that good of a product in those lines.

At the same time, those lines ignore the golfer who doesn't necessarily like the look of a low/moderate offset, compact head. Given that the 355 is advertised as being more GI, it's probably the right Srixon iron for the masses. Wouldn't surprise me if they get more inroads here than they do with the other two lines.

Was XR a release for a different golfer? I mean how many THPers made the switch to XR/XRP from Apexes.

I guess my hope as a Srixon fan is that the company releases a new product because it truly brings something new to consumers.

It was definitely for a different golfer, hit a different price point and was a separate release. Just like this one. Every company puts out new products every single year. Is AP2 that much different than CB?

This is a new line from Srixon to continue on and give more choices to people as they look for something perfect for their game. Its not replacing an iron, but Srixon finally getting into the full forgiveness model is something I think a lot of people will be excited about.

Q-Star does not replace Z-Star, despite coming out in opposite years and is the perfect example of what is being done here.

Was XR a release for a different golfer? I mean how many THPers made the switch to XR/XRP from Apexes.

I guess my hope as a Srixon fan is that the company releases a new product because it truly brings something new to consumers.

Exactly. I think Srixon has gained a lot of traction since entering the market and I feel like the 545/745 line is getting some really good buzz but there's a lot of potential left. I truly believe they have that good of a product in those lines.

While I know how you feel about how good the 545/745's are, there are simply MANY golfers that would look at the 545's and think they are too demanding. While they offer a ton of forgiveness for their design they are nowhere close to a SGI iron and that is where Srixon can gain additional marketshare with the 355/155.

While I know how you feel about how good the 545/745's are, there are simply MANY golfers that would look at the 545's and think they are too demanding. While they offer a ton of forgiveness for their design they are nowhere close to a SGI iron and that is where Srixon can gain additional marketshare with the 355/155.

Very true. And Orange Hog felt as though the 745s were as forgiving as the 545s, so in this instance the forgiveness factor that the larger club head offers, is not something he personally is looking for obviously, so might be getting overlooked when it comes to what the masses are after. The larger club head outsells the smaller in every category (metal woods, hybrids/utility and irons) by a huge margin.

Did XR build upon Apex? Or was it a different release for a different person? No different here

I've been gaming both of these interchangeably with a set of CBs over the last few weeks and I am CONFIDENT they are geared towards different golfers.

I'm not disagreeing with you here but I do think it's interesting that some golfers would view the 545's as "too much club". Like you, I played SGI irons like the Altitudes for a while and they were just too bulky for my eye. Even now the 545 is on the thick side for a GI iron but not over the top by any means and I've never looked down on it and felt any intimidation at all. Again, that's just me.

From what you saw is the 355 line larger, in terms of topline, sole width, and/or face length?

Again, them adding a line to bring more consumers into the brand is a good thing. Hard to tell from the pictures what the difference is relative to the 545 line but as more info comes out that will be something interesting to see.

Been a few months and we didn't take any pics but from the short glance I took at them I would say they are just slightly larger in all regards but in a sleek sort of way if that makes sense.

wow those are really classy looking GI irons. For some reason I kind of think Speedblade when I look at them...maybe the two-tone part?

Nice standard shaft too!

I never buy new but if I had the extra cash I would put these in the bag asap.

I'm not disagreeing with you here but I do think it's interesting that some golfers would view the 545's as "too much club". Like you, I played SGI irons like the Altitudes for a while and they were just too bulky for my eye. Even now the 545 is on the thick side for a GI iron but not over the top by any means and I've never looked down on it and felt any intimidation at all. Again, that's just me
For me (and this could change tomorrow, of course) I don't want to play a forgiving players club again. I want a GI / SGI type club which trends toward a players club, if that makes sense. The 545s seem like they are in the former category, so that scares me off of them a bit. The 355's appear to be on the other side of the ledger, so they are intriguing.

Last edited:
tequila, if you are playing the i25s, you should have no problem playing the z545s.
I'm scarred by a year of intermittent struggles with another club that some say is just as forgiving as the i25s :bashful:

I really liked my 545s, but I wanted a little more size heel to toe than they offered. I ended up giving them to a coworker who'd been playing Mizuno muscle backs & he loves them.

If these irons offer the same production as the 545s, but in a slightly bigger package, they have a winner & I have a serious ponder.

Back