Srixon Z 355 Irons Preview

Looking forward to your thoughts if you pick them up.

I'll definitely leave my thoughts if I get a chance to hit them, but unfortunately not too many places around me carry Srixon. Really excited to hear ddec's thoughts after the range session.

So I've been doing some more research today (unfortunately it was the reading online kind, not the actually going out and hitting balls kind). I hadn't paid much attention to bounce on irons before, but today, I noticed that the Srixons all have way more leading edge bounce than anything else. From 4 to AW in the 355s, the bounce increases from 19* to 37*. 37* of bounce on a 50* wedge seems like a ton, and makes me question whether it would be worth it to have the set AW in a bag. Looking at other brands' 4-AW, Mizuno's JPX-EZ Forged bounce goes from 2* to 7*, Callaway's Big Bertha from 1.5* to 11*, Apex from 3* to 10*, and Titleist AP1s from 1* to 7*. Srixon seems to be the real outlier here, by quite a bit. I admittedly am very new to learning about the technical aspects of clubs, but I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on this.

I don't know that it makes a huge difference in the lower irons where you're basically always taking a full swing (correct me if I'm wrong). But considering that most wedges seem to have bounces between 4* and 16*, a 50* AW with 37* bounce seems extreme. Am I wrong?

these are scheduled for some heavy duty course time this weekend. They will be getting 9 holes tonight, 27 tomorrow, and 18 Sunday. Really looking forward to seeing what they can do.

these are scheduled for some heavy duty course time this weekend. They will be getting 9 holes tonight, 27 tomorrow, and 18 Sunday. Really looking forward to seeing what they can do.
Hi buddy.....

Srixon is really bringing it this year. I love seeing their name back.

we are scheduled for 18 in the AM. Too bad you have that wedding thing.
And I assume you'll have these sweet looking things in the bag right? My intentions are to be there early enough to hit the range. No more of this get out of the car and go right to the first tee nonsense. (or get out of the car and hitch a ride with the starter to meet you on the first green)

I LOVED the 545s with the handful of swings (and only a handful) I took with them, so I'm super curious to see how these perform. Maybe I missed it, but what shafts are in the test set you have?

It's only a short drive to Albany for me...

Really interested in hearing your thoughts on these Dean.

we will have to get together for some side by side comparisons in the near future.

And I assume you'll have these sweet looking things in the bag right? My intentions are to be there early enough to hit the range. No more of this get out of the car and go right to the first tee nonsense. (or get out of the car and hitch a ride with the starter to meet you on the first green)

I LOVED the 545s with the handful of swings (and only a handful) I took with them, so I'm super curious to see how these perform. Maybe I missed it, but what shafts are in the test set you have?

yes they will be in the bag. Might have another surprise or 2 with me as well.

Will have to put these on the hit list. I love the looks of the 545 but thought that might be to much club for me.

Will have to put these on the hit list. I love the looks of the 545 but thought that might be to much club for me.

I'm in the same boat. Can't wait to hear the reviews on the 355. In other news, I'm getting fitted by the best fitter in my area tomorrow, so can't wait to hit some different things and see what he has to say. Unfortunately, he doesn't carry Srixon, but I'm going to ask his opinion.

That amount of golf should give you a good feel for then Dean, can't wait to hear what you have to say about them

ddec was nice enough to let me swing these a few times today and I came away pretty impressed. I borrowed the 8 and 9 irons on three different par 3s today, and 2 of the 3 lead to a GIR (not something I checked off a whole lot today). To me, they don't look like a GI iron at all at address--similar to how the 545s set up. On the 2 balls that I found the greens with, I saw nice mid-high launch and a bit of right to left ball flight--however I'll blame the shafts for that because I've never really liked the Nippon N.S. 950 shaft (#itwasnottheshaft). The interesting thing for me for those two shots, is that I caught the ball very low on the face for each one. Maybe not right to the "bottom groove," but not any higher than the next one up...and in both instances I looked at Dean and said "these feel fantastic." The ball I missed was just a terrible swing and I toe'd a ball off to the right...I shouldn't even mention that one...you know what? forget I said anything about that one.

So I'm super impressed. I hope I get to swing them again soon.

Good feedback OC. Do they compare look and setup wise to the irons you are using? Not performance mind you, but was the setup similar?

Good feedback OC. Do they compare look and setup wise to the irons you are using? Not performance mind you, but was the setup similar?
I'll have to take a closer look next time. I never put them down next to each other, but nothing stood out to me at address that even remotely told me "different."

I'd be willing to bet they set up very similar.

Also, on the performance side, the last par three was 155 (I think, or around there) which is a smooth (haha) 8 iron in my gamers. I took the 355 8 iron and put a normal swing on it and with the right to left I was sure that it was on the front left of the green short of the pin. Sure enough, when we got to the green, it was pin high.

These saw quite a bit of action this weekend so I thought it would be a good time to update with some early thoughts.

Sound/Feel - The sound of these is a home run in my opinion. It's kind of a deep thwack, and all get some video up in a day or 2 so you can hear for yourselves. Misses do give off slightly different sound that has a little more higher pitch to them. Feel wise, as you know it translates to sound, when hit well they feel fantastic. Haven't had any those hand stingers yet, though they are not anticipated much with this type of iron. Misses off the toe gave more feedback then other areas so far on the face.

Forgiveness - The low miss on these irons provide some very strong results. Playing with O'Carroll yesterday I know he some that were low on the face and still managed to get good results hitting greens. I haven't exactly had my A swing the last 2 days, which means I have been living off the forgiveness. On well hit shots, the ball gets up in the air pretty high, on low misses, slightly lower while still giving really solid distance returns.

Action Mass Technology - I know James has mentioned it in the 355 driver thread, these irons contain some of the same characteristics. They are a slightly heavier head and paired with a lightweight steel shaft(or graphite) they are aimed to provide more consistent results. I really enjoyed this kind of setup, once I got used to the feeling. You can really feel where the head of the club is throughout the swing and put a good thumping on the ball when it comes time for contact. Adjusting to this I had a lot of misses high and to the right, whether that's because of this setup or not, I'm not sure. My previous irons I played a little draw, and that shot shape crept back in late during yesterdays round, more today, and more on the range.

V Sole - I'm a fan. Was a fan of the 545 sole, these being slightly modified. They cut through the turf very nicely and divots are not going too deep and staying nice and level. On swings that I get too steep, the club resists digging, although fat shots are certainly still possible.

Really good information. I'm excited for continued use and to read the review.

Really good information. I'm excited for continued use and to read the review.

me too. Have some range sessions and plan on getting out Thursday and Friday AM. The sound on them is so good. They nailed that.

I'm looking forward to your continuing thoughts on these Dean. The Z 355 are pretty high on my interest list right now.

Dean - how would you compare these to the 545s? The idea of a heavier head feel appeals to me, especially since that's something I feel my clubs have been lacking since I cut them down, though some lead tape has fixed that.

Dean - how would you compare these to the 545s? The idea of a heavier head feel appeals to me, especially since that's something I feel my clubs have been lacking since I cut them down, though some lead tape has fixed that.
Heavier than 545s?? Those things already feel like paperweights

Heavier than 545s?? Those things already feel like paperweights

I know a few folks who are playing them with the NS950 have said that, but with the KBS 110s in mine, they don't feel that way - they feel light to me.

Back