Srixon Z 355 Irons Preview

Has anyone heard if the KBS and DG will be "no upcharge" shafts in these as they are in the 545? I don't mind the feel of the Nippon, but when I was fit last time it was the worst of those three for me. And that's something I saw when I was trying these out. There was a pretty solid sidewind, and the ball was getting caught up a bit more than with my irons.

Has anyone heard if the KBS and DG will be "no upcharge" shafts in these as they are in the 545? I don't mind the feel of the Nippon, but when I was fit last time it was the worst of those three for me. And that's something I saw when I was trying these out. There was a pretty solid sidewind, and the ball was getting caught up a bit more than with my irons.

I emailed Srixon customer service and was told that "The Srixon 355 irons will have custom shaft offerings to satisfy special requests". But I did not get specific information on which brands and whether or not there will be an upcharge. Both stock shafts have a high balance point which is part of the club design characteristics. "The custom shafts can, and will, have an effect on the finished swing weight and the balance point the same as a custom grip", (again, per Srixon customer service) so they recommend careful fitting.

Like you, I've swung DG, KBS and Nippon shafts and I'd rank the Nippon third in preference for me. But I haven't swung the z 355 irons yet. I'm intrigued by the design and am curious about the shift in balance point and relatively high swing weight.

So I spent about 15 minutes with the 7 iron today, and took 10 swings with it. I hit it 3 yards shorter than my 7 iron, which is not a huge deal mind you, but what I notice is the clean contact I was getting and its something that was both alarming and exciting. Spin was excellent, flight was excellent and I liked what I saw. I am testing another set and ddec has this one, so I will leave the rest for his review, but I really liked what I saw out of these.

Virtually the same distance as Apex irons. Very interesting.

So I spent about 15 minutes with the 7 iron today, and took 10 swings with it. I hit it 3 yards shorter than my 7 iron, which is not a huge deal mind you, but what I notice is the clean contact I was getting and its something that was both alarming and exciting. Spin was excellent, flight was excellent and I liked what I saw. I am testing another set and ddec has this one, so I will leave the rest for his review, but I really liked what I saw out of these.
3 yards difference isnt bad at all

Needs more cowbell...

pondering these hard right now but the only place that has them is 3.5 hours from me. Still might make the drive this weekend. Not sure if I want these or the 545s more and keep going back and forth with my decision. I would love to see where these will stack up against other new irons for next year.

Found out this week I am going to be getting a nice little surprise from the state of Maryland in form of s overpayment from a few years ago. That might amp up The ponder excitement.

Last edited:
Not an equipment junkie in any way so how would these clubs compare to CG 16's? Same lofts & loft progression throughout the set? Similar playability/forgiveness?

Intend to play the CG 16's one more season and then start looking for a replacement set. Guessing retail price on these irons would likely be coming down next off season or in spring of 2017.

Found out this week I am going to be getting a nice little surprise from the state of Maryland in form of s overpayment from a few years ago. That might amp up The ponder excitement.

Go for it! Oct. 25 will be here before you know it.

Go for it! Oct. 25 will be here before you know it.
Well given the events of work this week. This may be on hold

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Hit the 7 iron on the range today against the Mizuno JPX and the Apex CF 16. They stack up to the CF16 really well. Such a solid set of irons. Will throw some numbers up soon of the quick shootout today.

Hit the 7 iron on the range today against the Mizuno JPX and the Apex CF 16. They stack up to the CF16 really well. Such a solid set of irons. Will throw some numbers up soon of the quick shootout today.

I would love to see how these stack up to the CF16's for you.

Did a real quick LM test with these yesterday. Compared them side by side with the Mizuno JPX EZ and the Srixon 355. Using a 7 iron took the average carry distance of the swings and below are the results.

JPX - 157
355 - 162
CF16 - 160

As you can see, they are all pretty close together when it comes to carry. Both the JPX and 355 launched higher, which makes some sense based on shaft choice and internals. The 2 longest shots I hit for the day were recorded with the 355. Consistently finding myself in the 160+ mark for a 7 iron is really good for me as I usually tell myself it's a 155 club on the course. The pairing with the Nippon shaft is really good. I hope people don't sleep on these irons for the season because they stack up to the competition really well.

Do you think the CF16 would be a tad longer with the shafts the 355's have?

Did a real quick LM test with these yesterday. Compared them side by side with the Mizuno JPX EZ and the Srixon 355. Using a 7 iron took the average carry distance of the swings and below are the results.

JPX - 157
355 - 162
CF16 - 160

As you can see, they are all pretty close together when it comes to carry. Both the JPX and 355 launched higher, which makes some sense based on shaft choice and internals. The 2 longest shots I hit for the day were recorded with the 355. Consistently finding myself in the 160+ mark for a 7 iron is really good for me as I usually tell myself it's a 155 club on the course. The pairing with the Nippon shaft is really good. I hope people don't sleep on these irons for the season because they stack up to the competition really well.

That was my thinking. I bet you are getting much better disburtion from the steel fibers but the nippons might carry a bit farther just because of launch.

quite possibly.

That was my thinking. I bet you are getting much better disburtion from the steel fibers but the nippons might carry a bit farther just because of launch.

the big that the nippon would improve on for me with the cf16 would be the launch. Dispersion(to naked eye) was good on both. Better than the other set involved. Both are just really good irons.

Like seeing the data Dean, surprised by the outcome, hopefully everyone in the market for a new set give these a try

I'm interested in how these compare to the 545's, since there was so much love for those. Are the 355's more forgiving? How do they stack up dispersion-wise?

Also very interested to see how these stack up to the Callaway CF16's. Not that I need new irons, but if I ever get a chance to jump on a good deal, it's these & the CF16's & the Wilson Staff C200's that I'm leaning towards

I'm interested in how these compare to the 545's, since there was so much love for those. Are the 355's more forgiving? How do they stack up dispersion-wise?

Also very interested to see how these stack up to the Callaway CF16's. Not that I need new irons, but if I ever get a chance to jump on a good deal, it's these & the CF16's & the Wilson Staff C200's that I'm leaning towards

Of the last 3 you listed, I think they are all great. I've hit all three and am a fan of each. Reviewed the 355's and now have the CF16 thanks to #TheGrandaddy. Did a little side by side comparison with these and CF16 on a GC2 LM, and that day these were longer by 2 yards. So really nothing crazy in that department. Both are quality. These have a touch more offset, and blade length wise maybe a touch longer heel to toe.

I found them to be more forgiving than the 545's. Dispersion wise, hard to say because I gamed these longer than the 545s and not at the same time.

also going to throw in that I am a huge fan of the VT sole on these.

also going to throw in that I am a huge fan of the VT sole on these.

That was one of the main reasons I was interested in the 545's during their review - everyone raved about the soles! And having seen Mikedean441's up close, those 545's are absolutely gorgeous. So yeah, 355's are high on the list! Thanks Dean for the info. Might (ER, probably will) come down to price, but I'd love to get a real honest-to-goodness fitting for a change instead of buying & hoping they work

Back