Srixon Z 785 Driver Review

Threw out a lowball bid on one of these with the same shaft I’m currently playing and ended up winning it. It should be delivered today and will be going head to head with my Hogan.

Looking forward to the comparison LLIB

TMAG-FIREMEDIC;n8882199 said:
Not sure how long but I'm going to give my Z785 driver a shot.....very nice feel and good presence at address..... here we go!

well I won this for under 200 shipped without h/c or wrench......fair..... it came with a shaft that I didn't think would fit my swing profile.....I then tried something softer and lighter but it was very loose. Next was a kuro kage silver tini; steady but still missing that oomph.

Well I had a handcrafted 5.5 red driver shaft laying around .....Sweet Mother.....great feel(theme with Srixon I'm seeing) flight and added distance! Can't wait to get on course with it.

Taking mine out this evening. I’m playing my home course so I should have a pretty good idea of how it stacks up vs the Hogan.

I haven’t played since I got it, just hit a few balls in the backyard out into the woods side-by-side with the Hogan. One thing I noticed right away is the balls hit with the 785 seem to make it to the tree line a lot faster than the Hogan. Not a very scientific test but it was definitely noticeable

9 holes isn’t enough to say anything definitively but let’s just say I was very pleased with the 785. I don’t have a wrench so I just had to go with how it came set up but I have a wrench on the way. I think once I get it dialed in it’s going to be impressive

LLIB;n8894996 said:
9 holes isn’t enough to say anything definitively but let’s just say I was very pleased with the 785. I don’t have a wrench so I just had to go with how it came set up but I have a wrench on the way. I think once I get it dialed in it’s going to be impressive

Its a very good, and fast, driver-head. Its also about 1,000 times more playable than the 765 was.

Played 18 with the 785 this evening and I think the Hogan is in trouble. The Srixon is a ton more forgiving and I don’t get the odd nutted drive that’s 20-30yds short of where it should be. It’s really predictable for me so far. I just pick a spot on the left edge and get a 5-10yd fade back as my stock shot. With the Hogan it may fade 10yds or it may fade 30. I never know. I was even able to hit a couple of draws with the Srixon although they weren’t necessarily on purpose, lol.

LLIB;n8897410 said:
Played 18 with the 785 this evening and I think the Hogan is in trouble. The Srixon is a ton more forgiving and I don’t get the odd nutted drive that’s 20-30yds short of where it should be. It’s really predictable for me so far. I just pick a spot on the left edge and get a 5-10yd fade back as my stock shot. With the Hogan it may fade 10yds or it may fade 30. I never know. I was even able to hit a couple of draws with the Srixon although they weren’t necessarily on purpose, lol.

The 785 is definitely a hot driver off of the face. Once I got mine dialed in it was a fairway finder with the occasional bomb (285 for me). Really legit driver that doesn’t get a ton of love. Looking forward to hearing more from you on this.

Danimal;n8897425 said:
The 785 is definitely a hot driver off of the face. Once I got mine dialed in it was a fairway finder with the occasional bomb (285 for me). Really legit driver that doesn’t get a ton of love. Looking forward to hearing more from you on this.

To say I’m surprised is an understatement. I tried the 585 earlier in the year and didn’t care for it. The 785 is a completely different animal which is a good thing

LLIB;n8897438 said:
To say I’m surprised is an understatement. I tried the 585 earlier in the year and didn’t care for it. The 785 is a completely different animal which is a good thing

I put the ten gram weight in the heel and I get a nice little draw or straight flight. Very little concerns going too far right. That is a miss that I don’t want in my life.

Played another nine after work and had a weird driving round. Put the loft to standard to match my Hogan and to get a little more height and was hitting everything with a big fade. Put it back where it was on the 9th, -1*, and hit the best drive of the day. Dead straight and about 245. I guess I’ll just leave it there and run with it

Put the UST Mamiya Proforce V2 in this past weekend in my 785 and it is longer than before and still super consistent finding fairways. I’m loving the setup currently, wish I had more time to play.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've now had 3 range sessions with mine. It's the 9.5* loft and has the MRC Tensei CK Pro Orange Stiff shaft and I have to say... it is the best driver I've ever owned. Period! Full stop!

I almost can't mishit it. An amazing piece of hardware. I tee the ball high and a touch further forward than the left heel, like at my instep... and then go for it. Really nice ball flight and they all go down the line straight. I love the deceivingly light head feel in the waggle, yet I can still feel the head and trust where it is.

The only thing I did was when I first got it, the face looked a touch closed at address to me, so I loosened the screw, moved it to the first position that put the face just a touch more open but did not change the lie or loft and then tightened with the torque wrench. That's it! It has worked perfect.

Using my laser rangefinder, I estimate that I'm getting a touch over 300 yds and that's carry plus roll. Plenty of distance for a 66 year old. I wish I would have had this thing in my youth! I would've been averaging 350 when my swing speed was 127.

Truly satisfied with my purchase.

That is a pretty stout shaft for my taste. Glad to hear it is launching bombs for you.

Danimal;n8902074 said:
That is a pretty stout shaft for my taste. Glad to hear it is launching bombs for you.

This shaft appears to be working for me. I've always been aggressive with my driver swing. I learned early on that I can't baby it or I get mishits. Just the way my golf swing is wired. When my swing use to be really grooved, I could sort of go 85-90% effort and get great results... but if I needed to, I could dial it up just a touch more and keep it just in control enough and get another 20 yds. If I get tired or swing it lazy, my results suffer.

This driver has been performing really well for me as of late. I am able to swing away without fear of the hook. The Aldila Rogue silver has taken the left side out of play and the mid launch gentle fade is so nice to watch after fighting a low hook for quite a while. The trackman has shown ball speeds up to 155 when I am hitting the center of the face but I am still seeing high 140s when I am off a bit.

badolds;n8903963 said:
This driver has been performing really well for me as of late. I am able to swing away without fear of the hook. The Aldila Rogue silver has taken the left side out of play and the mid launch gentle fade is so nice to watch after fighting a low hook for quite a while. The trackman has shown ball speeds up to 155 when I am hitting the center of the face but I am still seeing high 140s when I am off a bit.

Good to hear! I thought that Rogue Silver would do the trick.

With the new ust proforce v2 shaft I put in last week I’ve gotten about 10-15 more yards off the tee and not increased my dispersion. This driver has way beyond exceeded my expectations and continue to amaze me the way it performs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TMAG-FIREMEDIC;n8891822 said:
well I won this for under 200 shipped without h/c or wrench......fair..... it came with a shaft that I didn't think would fit my swing profile.....I then tried something softer and lighter but it was very loose. Next was a kuro kage silver tini; steady but still missing that oomph.

Well I had a handcrafted 5.5 red driver shaft laying around .....Sweet Mother.....great feel(theme with Srixon I'm seeing) flight and added distance! Can't wait to get on course with it.

Ok, ok,ok.......I wasn't completely sure about 5.5 handcrafted PX hzdrus RED .....normal tee height I had low-mid that were playable but nothing special....

Wholly roller! I did a Bubba and teed up this thing....not kidding I feel like I gained 25-30yds conservatively!

I’ve played a few more rounds with the 785. It’s firmly in the bag. Distance is pretty much equal to the Hogan. The 785 seems to have more carry and is a ton more forgiving. What was a >30yd “fade” with the Hogan is a 5-10yd fade with the 785.

I’ve played 2 scrambles over the past couple weeks and even though I’m not a long hitter I was within a few yards of getting longest drive at both of them. Accuracy-wise I feel like I can hit every fairway even though I don’t come close to doing it. But unless I make a really horrible swing I’m usually only a yard or 2 off.

I really like the Helium but to get the best results I have to slow down. I may pick up a V2 to try just for fun.

I’ve played a few more rounds with the 785. It’s firmly in the bag. Distance is pretty much equal to the Hogan. The 785 seems to have more carry and is a ton more forgiving. What was a >30yd “fade” with the Hogan is a 5-10yd fade with the 785.

I’ve played 2 scrambles over the past couple weeks and even though I’m not a long hitter I was within a few yards of getting longest drive at both of them. Accuracy-wise I feel like I can hit every fairway even though I don’t come close to doing it. But unless I make a really horrible swing I’m usually only a yard or 2 off.

I really like the Helium but to get the best results I have to slow down. I may pick up a V2 to try just for fun.

Very cool to hear. It is a solid offering from Srixon and it is easy to get some drives far out there. The thing for me is that I don’t worry too much on where it’s going...usually left center of the fairway.

Very cool to hear. It is a solid offering from Srixon and it is easy to get some drives far out there. The thing for me is that I don’t worry too much on where it’s going...usually left center of the fairway.

I’m bad about just stepping up and swinging towards the general direction of the fairway. If I actually take the time to pick a target and start line it’s extremely accurate

On one particular golf hole today... the 16th hole is a 444 yd par 4, dog leg right, big lake on the right in the turn... I lined up down the right edge of the fairway on the leg corner and let it rip. Perfection! Great launch angle and right on target line. Ball ended up in the center of the fairway after the dog leg turn.... GPS in the cart at my ball in the center of the fairway said... 174 to the pin. A 270 yd drive (carry + roll) using a Titleist Tour Soft ball and it was 50*F out. Here's the cool part... I'm almost 70 years old. ;) Yes, I'm 40 yds shorter than my peak 25 - 30 yrs ago but I'm thrilled that this Z785 driver is giving me fun to play golf now with adequate driving distance and accuracy. If I would have had this thing back in the 90's, I would have been even longer than I was then with a TM Burner Bubble. It's a keeper!

New Year..............Still great results

WITB : Srixon Z785 10.5* Head, UST Mamiya Pro Force V2 Stiff Shaft (previous was Mitsubishi Tensei Orange)785

So far this year this driver has still continued to have its way with the fairways. FULL SEND!!!!

The 785 still has a way for me to hit fairways, and manipulate trajectory without sacrificing distance has been so much fun. WIth the wonderful weather the winter months can bring from cold, to warm, to dry, to rainy, to windy...........it remains consistent and easy to hit. I still enjoy the view from top down on it and the consistency it produces. If there was one drawback that is for me, would be the weight, I wish it was slightly lighter overall. I havent messed with any of the weight on it as I know as soon as I go down this road it will be a rabbit hole and not having readily available swing weight equipment to pound balls.

Cannot wait to try this club soon!

Back