Srixon Z-STAR DIAMOND Golf Balls

Totally different animals I think.. have not played the new LS but based off the previous there is a marked difference once you hit say 130 and in.
I wouldn't put them at opposite ends of the spectrum or anything. What's weird is that the differences in feel kind of go the exact opposite of performance and what you expect. 130 in, I prefer the feel of the LS and it's not really close. The Diamond feels more like some low spin balls to me, but isn't. It's so weird.

I wouldn't put them at opposite ends of the spectrum or anything. What's weird is that the differences in feel kind of go the exact opposite of performance and what you expect. 130 in, I prefer the feel of the LS and it's not really close. The Diamond feels more like some low spin balls to me, but isn't. It's so weird.

I kind of like the low speed difference. But I am not sure yet if it is the best match for me. But so far it has me super curious.

I like it better than the XV because I feel like I can grab it with wedges. And it is easier to flight low. The XV is hard for me to get that low grabbing wedges shot.

You guys have me all curious now with all of the cover and feel discussion. Are we going to have to start cutting balls apart? 😈

A couple of thoughts in my head about Srixon... if I am not mistaken they have some of the thinner covers out there, Diamond included. The XV is listed @ 0.5mm, ZStar and Diamond @ 0.6mm, and QST @ 0.020" (converts to 0.5mm). I also seem to remember a THPTV or Off Course episode with Jeff Brunski where he talked about Srixon specifically keeping ZStar compression where it is for specific reasons. When you look at the whole line from QST @ 72 compression to XV and Diamond @ 102 compression, there really is a range for all tastes, and QST is one hell of a ball at its price point.

Posting a picture of cover thickness on a Srixon. This is a well used XV. The cover is really thin @ 0.018”. And the cover is rubbery soft. The mantle and core layers underneath (white, grey-purple, pink) give the ball it’s compression and signature firm feel.

@OldandStiff

7AE74C2D-9E1D-4EE9-B65E-7EDC67759491.jpeg9852CFC1-4678-4795-8B27-916678517896.jpeg

I can’t express how much I wish this ball was offered in yellow.

Posting a picture of cover thickness on a Srixon. This is a well used XV. The cover is really thin @ 0.018”. And the cover is rubbery soft. The mantle and core layers underneath (white, grey-purple, pink) give the ball it’s compression and signature firm feel.

@OldandStiff

View attachment 9062777View attachment 9062778
Yep. Really curious about the mantle and other stuff with the Diamond now. Might explain some feels. Probably says somewhere on the website. I would assume. I try not to digest much of that until I get all my own flights and feels with it locked in though and then can read about it and see how it all makes sense. Good stuff dude. Love seeing the layers. (y)

You'll surely regret it, but your wish is my command. lol

So that was interesting. I had practically promised I wouldn't play today after monitor testing sunday and playing and ranging the last two days and hurting, but it was the last weather day for a bit so I had to give it a go. Wife seems more forgiving than my body at the moment. lol Tried to play a variety of shots and work around the greens. Put together a little ASMR of some I captured for you kinky f***ers. ;) I could either bend or move, but not really at the same time, so despite trying play gently I was throwing my hands a bit and had a couple heely strikes. Ball was pretty straight though. And it was cold, wearing multiple cold gear layers, so everything here is based within that.

(Not in order apparently but I'm not doing it again)

It was interesting and I'll talk through my sure-to-evolve first impressions.

Overall it seemed good. I try not to log marketing to my brain until I hit/play things myself, but I swore they said it was soft somewhere and I had that in my head. Didn't seem soft off the first with the UT that's for sure. And I'm not sure how things come through in the video, but the feels were kind of wild.

Felt and sounded like a high compression ball off the driver face and it was NICE. I really look forward to resting a couple days and actually getting to hammer them. Addicting like XV. Feels fast. For the swing I had today and the conditions distances were good and it handled the wind well.

Mid-long irons (TCBs today) it felt like a higher compression ball and nothing really stood out there. Firmer in the cold and had to get after it a bit to really get some squoosh. Short irons same but it did seem to spin decently high. Will take more outings, but I specifically set myself up for a couple full short iron approaches where spin can really affect outcomes in tough conditions and it did seem to hold up a bit. Also hit a chippy one on the last that really did not seem to manage the wind well on spin. I have a full video of that and I was noticably surprised to come up short.

With specialties it did not feel 'soft' on full approach. It really stood out as a firmer ball to me audibly and on the hands there. Which is fine, not quite like off the tee, and still probably softer than XV. Softer cover is one thing, but not really compressing it at those speeds made it feel like a pretty firm ball. And T22 are pretty soft. Want to get it out with a set of blades. I'm really curious to see what they sound like with my MG3's too. Those things pop. Cold could be affecting the outer part of the core/mantle too on these I suppose, and they did get GOOD spin on full specialty approach. Real good. One really impressed me, despite it actually keeping me further from the hole. :mad:

And then the cover kind of takes over I think. Around the green it actually feels a little dead depending on what you're used to and want. Some would call it soft I think. Not me really. The ball isn't soft, but you get a lot of cover and the combo just doesn't have much feel to me. And then it actually sounds and feels pretty dang soft off my putter. Like, dense-ish and not bad in any way. Straighter blow than with baby wedges and it feels nice. I don't know. I feel like my brain is pretty much broken after having 7 different balls on course in the last week and need a day off. :LOL: Sounds mostly between Z Star and XV I think overall. Seemed VX-ish off the tee, CSX-y maybe on approach, but maybe didn't get quite the greenside action of a CSX, and sounds and feels pretty different.

I DEFINITELY want to put it up against the new CSX LS on sound and feel and short iron approach. I didn't have any with me or I would have today.

But my suspicion is that it when it's not pre-blizzard, or even better, WARM outside, it will be pretty hot off the tee and hold firm greens well. I could putt with it in just about any temperature. I liked that.

These are some really good thoughts. My biggest gripe about the XV is it just felt too firm for me. I think probably was the firmest ball I had ever tried. I don't mind a firmer ball, but it was just too firm. That was my only gripe about the CSX-LS too. And in regards to your soft recollection, I too thought it was advertised as soft like the Z-Star but performance characteristcs very similar to the XV. Looking forward to getting out to test these. Going to be cold this Friday though. haha

I guess you could say it feels a little 'softer' than XV, definitely firmer than TP5x. It doesn't sound as sharp as XV, and changes at different speeds, but when you get into the things you can actually feel, it feels more like an XV with a thicker cover, which to me is duller, not 'softer'. I guess. I don't know. Stupid ball won't stop making birdies and it's pissing me off. Lol
I wish I could be pissed about something that keeps giving me birdies...;)

I wish I could be pissed about something that keeps giving me birdies...;)
Haha Started with one today again. If these old guys get out of the way I'm going to see what it's got on another short pitch into the par 5. Checked up wonderfully on an opened up clipper from 47y on the 1st.

Edit: oh boy. I'll just post that video. :LOL:

Haha Started with one today again. If these old guys get out of the way I'm going to see what it's got on another short pitch into the par 5. Checked up wonderfully on an opened up clipper from 47y on the 1st.

Edit: oh boy. I'll just post that video. :LOL:
I'm really excited to try this ball. I made some changes to my EPIC Max LS 9* (new adapter so driver turned down to 8.25/D and weight center in the back) and slapped the Linq-Q Purple in it.

This dang ball...

Cut through the wind pretty well with the XF UT to there too.

99% sure I cut it before getting called a name that would surely get me banned from YouTube, so if you hear something, please say something. Lol

Edit again: I don't think that was my landing mark. Still flew well into the wind though.

Last edited:

This dang ball...

Cut through the wind pretty well with the XF UT to there too.

99% sure I cut it before getting called a name that would surely get me banned from YouTube, so if you hear something, please say something. Lol

Don't ask. Don't tell. I didn't hear anything and I didn't ask. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Current thought - I don't think I like this ball as much as it likes me.

Yet.

I said the same thing about my wife at one point though, so.. I'm obviously open to things changing. And it has performed pretty darn well.

Current thought - I don't think I like this ball as much as it likes me.

Yet.

I said the same thing about my wife at one point though, so.. I'm obviously open to things changing. And it has performed pretty darn well.
I can’t help but wonder how your wife would feel being compared to a golf ball. But, yet again, you are the one who is married and I am the one who is divorced. 😂

I can’t help but wonder how your wife would feel being compared to a golf ball. But, yet again, you are the one who is married and I am the one who is divorced. 😂
I mean of all the balls, this one is a 💎. That has to count for something! Lol I'm confident I could spin it. ;)

I mean of all the balls, this one is a 💎. That has to count for something! Lol I'm confident I could spin it. ;)

I think you should just stick with this ball. If a ball likes you that is a good thing.

I think you should just stick with this ball. If a ball likes you that is a good thing.
So often, we keep chasing, chasing, when true love was always right there in front of our eyes.

I'm starting to work up some early distance, proximity, and other data stuffs for it, and they're really good. I'll put some time in on monitor and play it some more and see how it shakes out. As long as nothing about something bothers me I let the numbers decide.

Curious to hear more on your results with it too.

Interesting that even Bridgestone is up to $50 a box now and these are $5 less than them.

Anybody hook me up with some delivered to UK? We won't be seeing these until April apparently. I can provide a FedEx account for shipping.

Thanks guys

Interesting that even Bridgestone is up to $50 a box now and these are $5 less than them.

Srixon has better sales than other tour level balls. Buy 2 get 1 or sometimes even Buy 1 get 1 dozen free. But I'm sure the BOGO are gone with the way supply chains are these days.

The more I look into what I want to play this year, the more these catch my eye. I need to get some Diamond's.

The more I look into what I want to play this year, the more these catch my eye. I need to get some Diamond's.
Please do! You're a Bridgestone guy, right? I'm sure you hit plenty, but I know you got them for your team last year and I think that's what you typically play. So I'd love to hear your reaction to it.

Played this some again today. And then played the XV right after.

Conclusion: They need to make a Diamond Divide!

I definitely prefer it over the XV.

Played this some again today. And then played the XV right after.

Conclusion: They need to make a Diamond Divide!

I definitely prefer it over the XV.

As a longtime XV fan, I'm listening 🔥

Back