Srixon Z star line

before any ball goes into my bag, I hit 2 or 3 putts with it on my indoor putting matt. if I can't make the ball roll end over end perfectly I typically don't put it in my bag. I've played balls multiple times only to get home and find they were not round.

I've found a Q and Z star on the course recently. When I got home, I tested them and one of them I can't create a tight spiral with after multiple trys. The other is golden. Both balls look in perfect shape. As I researched this ball, I found a well known review site that claims that many of the balls they tested were not perfectly round. This does impact putts. I don't know how much it would impact a drive or approach shot.

new Z-Star and Z-Star XV ball about to be released in Japan....

The XV description is....

ConstructionUrethane cover 4 pieces
coverHigh durability 0.5mm ultra-thin super soft urethane cover
MidHigh resilience ionomer mid
coreHigh resilience fast layer large diameter 2-layer core
dimpleStrong trajectory 338 speed dimples
codingNext Generation Spin Skin Coating with SeRM ®
Ball No.1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

This is just ridiculous. Every. XV I have played from this batch get this line and they flake/shred right along the line. You can see the missing buts of cover in the middle and shredding on the far left side of the ball.
This ball was played for 7 holes. Didn't hit a cart path or anything funny.
Come on srixon!
😠

20210310_194534.jpg

This is just ridiculous. Every. XV I have played from this batch get this line and they flake/shred right along the line. You can see the missing buts of cover in the middle and shredding on the far left side of the ball.
This ball was played for 7 holes. Didn't hit a cart path or anything funny.
Come on srixon!
😠

View attachment 8997386

Hopefully just a bad batch, I haven't had this issue with my Srixon balls but others have.

Hopefully just a bad batch, I haven't had this issue with my Srixon balls but others have.
Yeah, I had an email exchange with a nice rep at srixon when I noticed the line on all the balls. He told me that it is an issue they were aware of, and were addressing in the new generation. He assured me that it was purely cosmetic.

The funny thing is, I get the line with the regular z star, but I have only had the shredding issue along the line with the VX.

It really sucks because I am really starting to like this ball.

So I bought a few dozen zstars to test out - 2 regular and 1 xv. All in the tour yellow.

I was playing my first round with them today, and when I was cleaning my ball that I had played 16 holes with, I noticed what looked like a crack, or seam line all the way around the ball. I know there are quality issues with balls sometimes, so I put a new one into play.

When I got home, I looked at all 3 from that sleeve and noticed the same issue, so I looked at the rest of the balls and all 3 dozen have the seam/line visible.

Is this a thing with the srixons? I dont like it because when I look down at the ball, it doesn't look round and really messes with my head.
I've had the same issue last year, got a replacement dozen which also showed the line after 9 holes. I played one for 4 rounds & it cracked on that line during the round. I sent it back to Srixon Australia for them to check out. I played yesterday (Dec 2023) with another golfer using yellow ball & his had the seam as well!

I have played yellow z stars almost exclusively for 3-4 years and they ALL do that. Many many dozen. It happens within a hole or two but does not really get worse. Crazy! I do not in any way think it impacts performance but the crack is definitely there. Looked online and it seems they know about it but don’t believe it causes any issues.

Back