Srixon Z-Stars vs. Ping Anser

Titleistforlife

Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 6.3
OK...Who has hit them both and what are your thoughts...I own the Ansers and like them, but the Z Stars have intriqued me. I have not been able to find the Z Stars to try.

JB - I am sure you will chime in and know you are a Z-Star fan but am curious to your opinion as to how the two compare.

Ever since getting rid of my beloved Ping ISI Nickels two years ago, my bag has been a revolving door for irons. I am wanting to get something and stick with it for a few years. Currently, I am hitting the Ping S56's and Ping Ansers.

Thoughts?

How many rounds have you played with the Ansers? You may just need time to adjust to them. Sounds like you have good clubs already, and by looking at your handicap I'm not sure the Z-Stars will give you anything the S-56's or Ansers don't already. Not trying to talk you down but, wow... it must be nice.

Very different irons. The Z-Stars were longer and way more forgiving for me. Ansers have a nice audible tone different than most Ping sets I have tried and they are a very nice iron. I would compare the Ansers nicely in performance to the TaylorMade TP CBs that are currently out.

The Z-Stars are far more forgiving in my opinion especially out on the heel and toe where I see most miss.

I've got three rounds on the S56's and one on the Ansers and quite a bit of range time with both. So far, I prefer the Ansers between the two but the S56's are very nice as well. The Ansers appear to be a little more forgiving and longer. I more or less just want to hear about how the Ansers and Z-Stars compare without price coming into the equation. Not that I will run out and buy the Srixon's but am curious as that is one club I wanted to hit, but just haven't been able to find it.

Like I said before, I played Ping ISI's for many years and liked them...ALOT. A few years ago I thought it was time to update due to technology and I haven't found the right irons yet. Since the ISI's I've owned i5's, i10's, s58's, i15's and Cleveland CG16's. This spring I couldn't decide between the S56 and Anser, so I ended up with both. Once I decide, I will get rid of the other set. Everytime I try something other than Ping, it doesn't feel right and end up going back to Ping. Switching irons annually hasn't seemed to affect my game a whole lot and the same rings true when I travel and rent clubs. BUT, I am a feely guy that needs the irons to "feel" good and look good to me. I know I'd be a little more consistent if I'd find the right irons and stick with them for a few seasons....But the grass is always greener....

Last edited:
I think a 2012 THP Demo Day needs to be in your plans. :act-up:

JB...I'd love to come...When is it? and Where is it? Maybe I can talk my wife into a little trip! Do some of the companies have their fitting stations at the event? (Mizuno, Ping etc..) I am sorry I am ignorant to this event, but I am fairly new here...

JB...I'd love to come...When is it? and Where is it? Maybe I can talk my wife into a little trip! Do some of the companies have their fitting stations at the event? (Mizuno, Ping etc..) I am sorry I am ignorant to this event, but I am fairly new here...

2011 is full and in a week, but 2012 will be announced shortly after that. Here are three links that new THPers that like equipment should definitely at least check out. You dont have to read the whole thread, but the 1st post will give you an idea of what this place is all about.

http://www.thehackersparadise.com/forum/showthread.php?14322-Official-THP-2011-Golf-Outing-amp-Demo...

http://www.thehackersparadise.com/forum/showthread.php?16118-2011-THP-Demo-Day-Thread

http://www.thehackersparadise.com/f...be-a-Tour-Player&highlight=morgan+tour+player

What an incredible time...Unfortunately, my work schedule does not allow for any vacation time in May. I take between 6 and 8 weeks vacation a year, but not in May! If the dates OR my schedule ever change I WILL BE THERE.

Back