Srixon Z545 Irons Swing Weight Question - Please Help

FH72

Club Champion
Reaction score
Handicap
N/A
Before I start with my issue, I want to say what a great community this is and give kudos to all those that go over and above to offer help and assistance. I am a fairly new registered member, but have read the reviews and forum discussions for years, and I think it is awesome when someone asks for the weight of a driver head, an image of a GPS watch on a wrist to see how big it is or for a photo of 3 different irons from address position and the info is posted within 24 hours and most of the time, quicker than that.

Now, on to my issue. I placed an order for a set of Srixon Z545s through Rakuten (the JDM has the shafts that I want) and I ordered the shaft length at +1/2 inch based on my last fitting for a set of Mizuno clubs. The standard length on the Z545s was the same as my old clubs so I figured I would be good. I just got an email from the company that I ordered them from saying that the extra length will bring the swingweight from D5 to around D7 or D8 and they thought that the clubs would be too heavy for me. I dont know all of the details about swingweight in general, but i believe that Mizuno uses a lighter head to compensate for the extra shaft length.

Since I got this email I am assuming that Srixon does not have different head weights to adjust the swingweight. Does anyone know if this is true? Is there something else that I can do? Would a heavier grip balance it out to help get back to D5 or would that just make the enire club heavier and not help the issue? I really want these clubs with the specs that I was fitted for but now I don't know if they will work out for me.

Another option would be to just order them at standard length and adjust to them but I dont know if that is a good idea. To throw another curve into this, I also ordered the lie angle 2 degrees up. If I do end up going with the standard length shaft, I think that I would need to order a different lie angle because the club would be a half inch shorter. Is that correct?

Sorry for the long post, but this is an expensive purchase and I want to make sure that I get it right. Thanks in advance for your help.

Last edited:
With the way this is headed, are you sure you are not better off finding a local fitter that can handle Srixon and going about it that way? Grip can assist.

What shafts did you order? Unless that are ultra lightweight, I have not seen any standard length sets of Z545s listed as D5 SW.

5 grams of grip = 1 sw pt

I ordered Nippon Modus 120's.

Unless they are for some reason putting shaft tip weights in, I really do not see any reason for them to be weighted at D5+. I could see the finished product at D5 since you are adding 3 SW points by going 1/2" longer on the shafts.

I certainly entertained getting mine through Rakuten because of the cost savings. But ultimately decided to spend more to be able to easily communicate my wishes to the club maker and to know exactly what I was getting.

Before I start with my issue, I want to say what a great community this is and give kudos to all those that go over and above to offer help and assistance. I am a fairly new registered member, but have read the reviews and forum discussions for years, and I think it is awesome when someone asks for the weight of a driver head, an image of a GPS watch on a wrist to see how big it is or for a photo of 3 different irons from address position and the info is posted within 24 hours and most of the time, quicker than that.

Now, on to my issue. I placed an order for a set of Srixon Z545s through Rakuten (the JDM has the shafts that I want) and I ordered the shaft length at +1/2 inch based on my last fitting for a set of Mizuno clubs. The standard length on the Z545s was the same as my old clubs so I figured I would be good. I just got an email from the company that I ordered them from saying that the extra length will bring the swingweight from D5 to around D7 or D8 and they thought that the clubs would be too heavy for me. I dont know all of the details about swingweight in general, but i believe that Mizuno uses a lighter head to compensate for the extra shaft length.

Since I got this email I am assuming that Srixon does not have different head weights to adjust the swingweight. Does anyone know if this is true? Is there something else that I can do? Would a heavier grip balance it out to help get back to D5 or would that just make the enire club heavier and not help the issue? I really want these clubs with the specs that I was fitted for but now I don't know if they will work out for me.

Another option would be to just order them at standard length and adjust to them but I dont know if that is a good idea. To throw another curve into this, I also ordered the lie angle 2 degrees up. If I do end up going with the standard length shaft, I think that I would need to order a different lie angle because the club would be a half inch shorter. Is that correct?

Sorry for the long post, but this is an expensive purchase and I want to make sure that I get it right. Thanks in advance for your help.

Short answer - JB is spot on - you could be making a very expensive mistake without some guidance. Just as one example, the standard lengths and lies of the Srixons and Mizunos are not the same. The standard lie is 1* different, which is large enough to cause ballflight problems. Also, the final swingweight is a bit confusing. Srixon lists the SW as D3 and by adding another +1/2" you would be at D6. However, the original D3 assumes DGS shafts and you have ordered the Modus 120s, which by being slightly lighter, should decrease the swingweight by 1-2 points.

Rakuten is great, but I wouldn't use them for anything custom - only stock orders.

With the way this is headed, are you sure you are not better off finding a local fitter that can handle Srixon and going about it that way? Grip can assist.

Agreed with this. If you are getting 545's Id order them here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Where else can you go and get quality advice like this in one day free of charge??? Well done gentlemen!!!!

Short answer - JB is spot on - you could be making a very expensive mistake without some guidance. Just as one example, the standard lengths and lies of the Srixons and Mizunos are not the same. The standard lie is 1* different, which is large enough to cause ballflight problems. Also, the final swingweight is a bit confusing. Srixon lists the SW as D3 and by adding another +1/2" you would be at D6. However, the original D3 assumes DGS shafts and you have ordered the Modus 120s, which by being slightly lighter, should decrease the swingweight by 1-2 points.

BMiles,

Comparing the JPX850 Forged to the Z545s, the standard lie angle difference is only a half degree and the lengths are actually the same - Mizuno measures their irons without the grip. The standard D3 swingweight listed in the Srixon site is with the stadard S300 shaft. I ordered the lighter Nippon Modus 120 which is probably what increased the swingweight to D5.

JB,

I didn't look at the transaction as heading in a negative direction. I was actually impressed that they had this concern and made me aware of it instead of just taking my money and placing the order. I'm not sure that every big box golf store or online golf retailer would have been so honest.....

Rakuten is great, but I wouldn't use them for anything custom - only stock orders.

jlukes,

Did you order your entire set from Rakuten or just the A Wedge. I see that you got one of the standard shaft offerings, but did you also order standard length and lie?

jlukes,

Did you order your entire set from Rakuten or just the A Wedge. I see that you got one of the standard shaft offerings, but did you also order standard length and lie?
Just the AW. No adjustments to length or lie.

BMiles,

Comparing the JPX850 Forged to the Z545s, the standard lie angle difference is only a half degree and the lengths are actually the same - Mizuno measures their irons without the grip. The standard D3 swingweight listed in the Srixon site is with the stadard S300 shaft. I ordered the lighter Nippon Modus 120 which is probably what increased the swingweight to D5.

You are correct on the lies as I had my Z545 set to Mizuno JPX standard lies as that is what I was playing for the last 4 years. Other than the PW though, the Srixons are about 1/4 inch longer through the rest of the set.

You are correct on the lies as I had my Z545 set to Mizuno JPX standard lies as that is what I was playing for the last 4 years. Other than the PW though, the Srixons are about 1/4 inch longer through the rest of the set.

I have heard from a couple of club fitters that Mizuno's length specs are quoted witout the grips installed so they are the same length as the Srixons.

I have heard from a couple of club fitters that Mizuno's length specs are quoted witout the grips installed so they are the same length as the Srixons.

That would make sense then. I should have compared the lengths of my JPX800 Pros to the Z545s before I sold them. If there is a difference in length, I sure can't tell.

BMiles,

Except that lighter shafts actually decrease swingweight. That is why I didn't understand the D8 number - even with the +1/2", you should not be over D6 with the Modus 120s.

could the swingweight issue is partially from the difference in stock shafts in the US vs. Japan? In Japan it's the nippon 980 Dst, here it's the S300? Maybe the heads are a bit heavier on the ones for the Japanese market to get the swingweight up?

could the swingweight issue is partially from the difference in stock shafts in the US vs. Japan? In Japan it's the nippon 980 Dst, here it's the S300? Maybe the heads are a bit heavier on the ones for the Japanese market to get the swingweight up?

THats a very good point. I think you could be on to something there - I wonder if the OP every got this sorted - would love to hear the outcome

I have a set of 5-aw z545 on the way 2nd hand - They are built 1/2 in shorter. Didnt state why but they were bought off rakuten. I was kinda hoping that they were low swingweight so I could add extensions (3/4) if possible. Shaft is nippon 1050 which shouldn't add any significant weight over the 950 or 980 shaft so I cant imagine the 1/2 inch short was a result of trying to maintain swing weight.

Plan to measure SW (if DW - plan to remove a head and see if there are any tip weights installed and pull)

Last edited:
- just checked the chinese / korean / japanese srixon sites they have stock sw with 980 nippon as d2 - but the aw as d3
they have an option to change balance point though to go to d1 and d2 for AW

So mine will either be d1/2 - 3sw or stock with tips weighted I guess -
measureing on sw scale should let me know - hopefully they are c8/9 - makes it much easier than removing and re gluing heads etc

Back