Srixon ZX Drivers, Fairway Woods, & Hybrids

Have them hire whoever does Taylormade advertising and marketing.
Yikes, not sure id consider them as having all their things together, by a LONG shot.

Yikes, not sure id consider them as having all their things together, by a LONG shot.

I thought the TP5 ball commercials were genius - tour pros in a threesome inviting regular Joes to play golf with them and the horde follows - sort of like real life in terms of how marketing is supposed to work.

Or the pros hitting balls together and talking about their clubs - Tiger, Rory, et al

Or the Titleist commercials where various pros are hitting shots and touting the ball

Srixon needs a few well known pros - it's all about marketing at this point.

Or you can just have some fun with it - longer, straighter and face flexing genius... on YouTube, instagram - I think TM has upped their game on YouTube.

Srixon needs an overwhelming social presence

I thought the TP5 ball commercials were genius - tour pros in a threesome inviting regular Joes to play golf with them and the horde follows - sort of like real life in terms of how marketing is supposed to work.

Or the pros hitting balls together and talking about their clubs - Tiger, Rory, et al

Or the Titleist commercials where various pros are hitting shots and touting the ball

Srixon needs a few well known pros - it's all about marketing at this point.

Or you can just have some fun with it - longer, straighter and face flexing genius...
We differ there, I think the TM marketing department is weak if not a total cluster. What’s saved their ass so far is Trottie.

We differ there, I think the TM marketing department is weak if not a total cluster. What’s saved their ass so far is Trottie.

The point is Srixon needs to be out there with presence - stores and social media. Actually, I don't know anyone doing it well these days but I appreciate TM's YouTube vids with Jason, Rory, Tiger, et al. Guys playing short game and the TM rep throws them a new club and says "What do you think?"

I don't buy their clubs based on those but they are out there - Peeps here are the somewhat knowledgeable golf buyers - most peeps are not like us.

You find different strategies to appeal to a larger piece of the pie.

The point is Srixon needs to be out there with presence - stores and social media. Actually, I don't know anyone doing it well these days but I appreciate TM's YouTube vids with Jason, Rory, Tiger, et al. Guys playing short game and the TM rep throws them a new club and says "What do you think?"

You find different strategies to appeal to a larger piece of the pie.
But I think sometimes we forget that Srixon isn’t going to be TM or Callaway, would they want that piece of the pie? Of course, but that’s not where they are or where they can just jump to with a change here or there and a tour player. Contrary to what some say, there are TWO tour players that truly move gear, two, maybe 2.5 if you include Phil.

Those videos you speak of are Trottie being Trottie, and not anything pre ordained by TM marketing, they’re just recording a rep who’s always had a big personality.

But I think sometimes we forget that Srixon isn’t going to be TM or Callaway, would they want that piece of the pie? Of course, but that’s not where they are or where they can just jump to with a change here or there and a tour player. Contrary to what some say, there are TWO tour players that truly move gear, two, maybe 2.5 if you include Phil.

Those videos you speak of are Trottie being Trottie, and not anything pre ordained by TM marketing, they’re just recording a rep who’s always had a big personality.

I did not recognize the Trottie reference. He does a good job.

I don't know how Srixon gets recognition unless they rebrand as Cleveland Golf.

I think you’re underestimating their global recognition.

I think you’re underestimating their global recognition.

No doubt - but the US is a nice market. I'm brainstorming for solutions ... solutions to their US dilemma

I’m not sure that can happen with ownership, but to be fair they have steadily grown since entering the space. Including XXIO which did very well last year

I’m not sure that can happen with ownership, but to be fair they have steadily grown since entering the space. Including XXIO which did very well last year

Yes, they must be going for slow growth, which is a good plan if you have money, and they apparently do.

My older son has played their fairways for years - probably has the same woods from 8 yrs ago ... lol. He'd like to play their irons - but Utah and military means he plays about 4 months a year. I send him wedges and putters.

These past few releases have been fantastic from Srixon and this one just adds to their progress in their woods line. Their marketing is great and finally seeing your staff gaming their woods helps show others that their stuff is just as good.

Have them hire whoever does Taylormade advertising and marketing.
I think TaylorMade is just riding its name right now - Srixon marketing is pretty darn good

I think TaylorMade is just riding its name right now - Srixon marketing is pretty darn good

Guess I'm missing something then. Haven't seen it that often and I do watch TGC. But guys have posted that Srixon clubs are not that readily available. I guess when Covid is vaccinated out of us in the next 7 months and Demo Days are one again more of an event, they will get their product out there. Good luck to them.

I do like the Srixon Z Star.

No doubt - but the US is a nice market. I'm brainstorming for solutions ... solutions to their US dilemma
I’m a bit cynical here but I think the US market is stubborn for several cycles. Make something good long enough and it takes notice.

Guess I'm missing something then. Haven't seen it that often and I do watch TGC. But guys have posted that Srixon clubs are not that readily available. I guess when Covid is vaccinated out of us in the next 7 months and Demo Days are one again more of an event, they will get their product out there. Good luck to them.

I do like the Srixon Z Star.
I guess I’m also lumping Cleveland in with it too to be fair.

Got a chance to hit the ZX fairway and hybrid yesterday, and thought they were excellent. This is my first time trying Srixon woods (ever), so didn't really have much in the way of expectations. Below are my impressions of each:

ZX Hybrid 3 (19*) and 4 Hybrid (22*):
I went in to the shop specifically to look at the 5-wood/3-hybrid/3-iron spot in the bag (can never decide what to hit here) as I'm not very happy with my Sim Max hybrid right now. I tested out a few different hybrids including G410 and Callaway Apex. The ZX looks great at address, and I much prefer the sound/feel at impact over my Sim Max. Performance-wise, I was carrying the 3-hybrid into 3-wood territory with solid descent angles. 4-Hybrid was about 15-20 yds shorter, which is about perfect distance-wise for the spot I'm looking for. Unfortunately forgot to take a pick of the launch monitor #s.

Also, a quick comment on the stock shaft - I really enjoyed the Evenflow Riptide shafts in both fairway/hybrid. First time hitting them and didn't seem to have any release-timing issues that I had with Evenflow Blue in the past.

ZX Fairway 3-Wood 15*:
3-wood also felt/looked great to me. I didn't find it sitting closed like the TXG guys mentioned in their review (I'm picky about this too), but may have been just the demo I was swinging. Performance-wise, also really good. Ball-speed and distances were about the furthest I've even seen out of a 3-wood off the deck, which was the main reason I went with the Sim Max. Attached photo is of the first 4 swings. Great contact on all 4 shots despite the accuracy issues :D Hit about a dozen total shots and loved what I saw/felt. Also hit the G410 LST fairway (which was 2nd place to my Sim Max when I purchased last year) but it was a step below the ZX in performance and looks/sound for me.

ZX Utility:
Huge numbers with the 2-iron, going about as far on the fly as the 3-hybrid but with a lot more rollout. 3-iron was also getting some great numbers, but unfortunately couldn't get the descent angles I was hoping for. I don't think I'd have too many issues holding greens in SoCal, but still feel like it wouldn't be as versatile as a hybrid in the same spot. I will say it would be fun to have one of these utilities in the bag as a tee club on narrow courses and/or on windy days.

Sound/Feel-wise I feel like this is a huge step up from the previous Srixon utility, which I only happened to hit last year as a rep mentioned it's the utility-of-choice for most collegiate golfers they get in the shop. I didn't like the "clickiness" of it though (same goes for the Cobra Utility), so thankfully Srixon have improved in that area. Looks great behind the ball too. Can't see too much of the back of the club, which is my preference. Stock recoil shaft in the utilities also seemed to perform well.

Overall:
I'm going back later this week with my Sim Max fairway/hybrid to go head-to-head with the Srixon woods. I want to make sure I'm comparing them back-to-back before jumping to any conclusions. So far though, I'm extremely impressed with the entire ZX lineup (haven't tried the drivers though). And I probably would never have tried these if it wasn't for the ZX irons performing so well for me on a separate trip to the shop. I may end up looking like a Srixon fanboy by the end of January :p

20210103_164843.jpg 20210103_164937.jpg 20210103_161906.jpg

Last edited:
Got a chance to hit the ZX fairway and hybrid yesterday, and thought they were excellent. This is my first time trying Srixon woods (ever), so didn't really have much in the way of expectations. Below are my impressions of each:

ZX Hybrid 3 (19*) and 4 Hybrid (22*):
I went in to the shop specifically to look at the 5-wood/3-hybrid/3-iron spot in the bag (can never decide what to hit here) as I'm not very happy with my Sim Max hybrid right now. I tested out a few different hybrids including G410 and Callaway Apex. The ZX looks great at address, and I much prefer the sound/feel at impact over my Sim Max. Performance-wise, I was carrying the 3-hybrid into 3-wood territory with solid descent angles. 4-Hybrid was about 15-20 yds shorter, which is about perfect distance-wise for the spot I'm looking for. Unfortunately forgot to take a pick of the launch monitor #s.

Also, a quick comment on the stock shaft - I really enjoyed the Evenflow Riptide shafts in both fairway/hybrid. First time hitting them and didn't seem to have any release-timing issues that I had with Evenflow Blue in the past.

ZX Fairway 3-Wood 15*:
3-wood also felt/looked great to me. I didn't find it sitting closed like the TXG guys mentioned in their review (I'm picky about this too), but may have been just the demo I was swinging. Performance-wise, also really good. Ball-speed and distances were about the furthest I've even seen out of a 3-wood off the deck, which was the main reason I went with the Sim Max. Attached photo is of the first 4 swings. Great contact on all 4 shots despite the accuracy issues :D Hit about a dozen total shots and loved what I saw/felt. Also hit the G410 LST fairway (which was 2nd place to my Sim Max when I purchased last year) but it was a step below the ZX in performance and looks/sound for me.

ZX Utility:
Huge numbers with the 2-iron, going about as far on the fly as the 3-hybrid but with a lot more rollout. 3-iron was also getting some great numbers, but unfortunately couldn't get the descent angles I was hoping for. I don't think I'd have too many issues holding greens in SoCal, but still feel like it wouldn't be as versatile as a hybrid in the same spot. I will say it would be fun to have one of these utilities in the bag as a tee club on narrow courses and/or on windy days.

Sound/Feel-wise I feel like this is a huge step up from the previous Srixon utility, which I only happened to hit last year as a rep mentioned it's the utility-of-choice for most collegiate golfers they get in the shop. I didn't like the "clickiness" of it though (same goes for the Cobra Utility), so thankfully Srixon have improved in that area. Looks great behind the ball too. Can't see too much of the back of the club, which is my preference. Stock recoil shaft in the utilities also seemed to perform well.

Overall:
I'm going back later this week with my Sim Max fairway/hybrid to go head-to-head with the Srixon woods. I want to make sure I'm comparing them back-to-back before jumping to any conclusions. So far though, I'm extremely impressed with the entire ZX lineup (haven't tried the drivers though). And I probably would never have tried these if it wasn't for the ZX irons performing so well for me on a separate trip to the shop. I may end up looking like a Srixon fanboy by the end of January :p

View attachment 8986470 View attachment 8986472 View attachment 8986473
You were absolutely mashing the ball with those numbers. The driver and hybrids are about as good as I’ve seen and I COMPLETELY agree that the Riptide shaft pairing with the hybrid is outstanding.

Moment of truth- are they going to replace the TaylorMade?

You were absolutely mashing the ball with those numbers. The driver and hybrids are about as good as I’ve seen and I COMPLETELY agree that the Riptide shaft pairing with the hybrid is outstanding.

Moment of truth- are they going to replace the TaylorMade?

Thanks! I've only ever seen numbers like that when I was testing Sim Max and Sim Ti woods last year. Unfortunately did not have my TM gamers with me to hit against, so will be going back this week to hit them back-to back. I'll provide another update once I'm able to compare them.

If the Srixon numbers hold up on round 2 of testing then I'd have no problem replacing the TMs 😁

Thanks! I've only ever seen numbers like that when I was testing Sim Max and Sim Ti woods last year. Unfortunately did not have my TM gamers with me to hit against, so will be going back this week to hit them back-to back. I'll provide another update once I'm able to compare them.

If the Srixon numbers hold up on round 2 of testing then I'd have no problem replacing the TMs 😁

Good luck and please keep us posted as I'm in the same boat. Stay safe

Was able to hit the ZX woods again yesterday evening, this time against SIM Max, SIM Ti, TSI2 and TSI3. Unfortunately they only had one ZX 3-wood (15*) available with a regular flex Riptide shaft, so performance-wise it wasn't a great comparison. Here are some notes from the session:
  • Sound/Feel: ZX 3-wood sounds/feels great, I'd argue better than both Titleist/SIM offerings, although they are no slouches either (SIM Max probably being the least agreeable for me)
  • Head shape and look at address: I really like the shape of the ZX 3-wood behind the ball, it seems slightly larger than TSI3, but about the same as TSI2 and SIM. The ZX did sit slightly closed to my eye, but nothing egregious like some of the SIM TI copies I've seen (although you can deloft to open the face)
  • Performance: Nothing jumped out as far as swing speed or ball speed while hitting, but I couldn't keep the spin down with the regular flex shaft, so carry/total distance figures were the lowest with Srixon. Surprise for me was actually the TSI3 here, which had some stupidly long hits off the deck. Felt like overall accuracy was also the best with TSI3, barely beating out the rest of the pack which were also good, although Srixon would likely have been even better with a proper shaft
  • Forgiveness: The Srixon seems quite forgiving across the face, and felt the least-harsh on mishits (back to the great feel)
Takeaway for me was that I think the Srixon eeks out a win in looks/feel (IMO) and hopefully with the right shaft to bring spin down to the ~3k region, would be able to keep up with SIM/TSI on performance. If so, the Srixon would be a no-brainer for the feel aspect and the value will be hard to beat. Only "downside" I can see with the Srixon is the lack of adjustable hosel if that's something you value, although there are benefits to going with a bonded hosel as well.

I'll be headed to the PGA Superstore on Friday to see if they have some other shafts available to try on the ZX, and also have a fitting scheduled for next Saturday with the local Srixon rep to hit off grass. I'll continue providing feedback as I get some more time with the clubs.

Happy to answer any questions in the meantime, or if there are specific clubs you'd like me to compare against tomorrow at the PGA Superstore 😁

Anybody pull the trigger on one of these drivers yet?

I’m biding my time until the showcase, hoping I get to hit the 7!

I’ve convinced a friend to buy one based on one round with mine. The convincing was easy - i didn’t have to say much.

I’ve convinced a friend to buy one based on one round with mine. The convincing was easy - i didn’t have to say much.

Which model and shaft did you and your friend go with?

Which model and shaft did you and your friend go with?
I got to review the ZX5 and I can’t imagine wanting to even try the 7 with the combination of speed and forgiveness I’ve been seeing. Riptide all day for me, but I’m not sure what he is ordering. He knows his game enough but it wouldn’t shock me to see a riptide in there too.

Back