Srixon ZX Drivers, Fairway Woods, & Hybrids

I went ahead and ordered a demo through the Srixon Demo program. I love being able to try i out in real life conditions for a bit rather than indoor on a sim.

I went ahead and ordered a demo through the Srixon Demo program. I love being able to try i out in real life conditions for a bit rather than indoor on a sim.
I did that with the last version and its a great program, I had no issues returning the driver as it didn't work for me.
Good luck with it.

I did that with the last version and its a great program, I had no issues returning the driver as it didn't work for me.
Good luck with it.

It'll be interesting if it comes in next week. I forgot we have a 2-day Ryder Cup style event next weekend. May not be the best time to test a new driver, lol!

I finally got out and played 18 with the new ZX5. After not swinging a club for close to three weeks I was not sure what the round had in store. I say that to say that this driver is pretty forgiving. It handled my mediocre swings and rewarded me with good distance, but more importantly the dispersion was pretty good. A couple of bad swings aside that no driver will cure, it performed better than I thought.

Comparing to the Mav Max, I am not turning the ball over as easily. Several tee shots I set up for the draw and the ball just stayed straight. That is a good problem to have and if that is going to be the result on well struck shots, I'll take it. For me off the tee I saw a pretty straight ball or a slight cut. On my better drives I saw total distances of 257 and 263yards. Those two were not quite struck center, so a more consistent driver of the golf ball can unlock some serious distance. I played with @badolds today and he hit this off 18 tee. The result was a nice baby draw that ended up 300 or so. This was a test against the Max LS and it was right there next to it.

The LIN-Q Purple is a great pairing with this one also. Nice mid/high ball flight and spin felt like it was where it should be. I did not see a drop off distance wise from the Mav Max and if anything the dispersion was a little tighter.

Next will be getting an adapter for my Ventus Blue and comparing to see which one is a better fit.

I finally got out and played 18 with the new ZX5. After not swinging a club for close to three weeks I was not sure what the round had in store. I say that to say that this driver is pretty forgiving. It handled my mediocre swings and rewarded me with good distance, but more importantly the dispersion was pretty good. A couple of bad swings aside that no driver will cure, it performed better than I thought.

Comparing to the Mav Max, I am not turning the ball over as easily. Several tee shots I set up for the draw and the ball just stayed straight. That is a good problem to have and if that is going to be the result on well struck shots, I'll take it. For me off the tee I saw a pretty straight ball or a slight cut. On my better drives I saw total distances of 257 and 263yards. Those two were not quite struck center, so a more consistent driver of the golf ball can unlock some serious distance. I played with @badolds today and he hit this off 18 tee. The result was a nice baby draw that ended up 300 or so. This was a test against the Max LS and it was right there next to it.

The LIN-Q Purple is a great pairing with this one also. Nice mid/high ball flight and spin felt like it was where it should be. I did not see a drop off distance wise from the Mav Max and if anything the dispersion was a little tighter.

Next will be getting an adapter for my Ventus Blue and comparing to see which one is a better fit.
Ahhhhummmmm!!

4F968A6B-6474-4A48-A2C2-3C26AE092B19.gif

Nice, I'm also getting my ventus blue 6s fitted with a srixon adapter to see how it goes. Although pretty happy with the AV Raw Blue, but i thought it was a shame to leave a ventus sitting around.

I was talking to a friend about the driver and I had more thoughts to share:

Forgiveness - The ZX5 is as good as anything out there. For me the only comparison I have is to the Mav Max and it's just as forgiving with tighter dispersion. (that could be shaft related though)

Sound - I am not the one to comment as sound doesn't bug me, but to me it's not overly "tinny" or hollow sounding at impact. I didn't think it was any louder or quieter than the Mav Max. Not a muted sound at all, just a nice sound at impact.

Distance - The driver is hot. It has plenty of pop and I will put it up there distance wise with any driver on well struck shots. @badolds hit one 300 so it has potential to be a bomber in the right golfer's hands.

Looks - Probably a top 3 in terms of crown and shape at address. Not overly elongated but not too compact. For me it sets up with a lot of confidence.

Weight - I don't have a scale but it feels a touch heavier than the Mav Max. That could be the shaft at play, but overall the setup I have feels stable and not too light or heavy

Forgiveness - The ZX5 is as good as anything out there. For me the only comparison I have is to the Mav Max and it's just as forgiving with tighter dispersion. (that could be shaft related though)

Sound - I am not the one to comment as sound doesn't bug me, but to me it's not overly "tinny" or hollow sounding at impact. I didn't think it was any louder or quieter than the Mav Max. Not a muted sound at all, just a nice sound at impact.

Distance - The driver is hot. It has plenty of pop and I will put it up there distance wise with any driver on well struck shots. @badolds hit one 300 so it has potential to be a bomber in the right golfer's hands.

Looks - Probably a top 3 in terms of crown and shape at address. Not overly elongated but not too compact. For me it sets up with a lot of confidence.

Weight - I don't have a scale but it feels a touch heavier than the Mav Max. That could be the shaft at play, but overall the setup I have feels stable and not too light or heavy

I enjoyed reading these last couple of posts, you're killing me actually. ZX5 was so much fun to hit when I was demo'ing it. Great combination of point and shoot ease of use, and distance. Looks fantastic at address.

Some great thoughts on this driver.

I just saw the promotion Srixon is running with a 90 day satisfaction guarantee. It definitely seems like a bold step. Unlike other playability promotions where you can exchange it for another club or store credit, they are offering a full refund. Definitely putting their money where their mouth is.

I have a demo ZX5 on the way. I may just turn it into an extended demo for a month or two to see if I love it beyond the traditional honeymoon.

I just saw the promotion Srixon is running with a 90 day satisfaction guarantee. It definitely seems like a bold step. Unlike other playability promotions where you can exchange it for another club or store credit, they are offering a full refund. Definitely putting their money where their mouth is.

I have a demo ZX5 on the way. I may just turn it into an extended demo for a month or two to see if I love it beyond the traditional honeymoon.
It's a bold and awesome decision on their part. Hopefully it proves successful and they keep doing it in the future.

I got the ZX5 demo today. Nothing like the excitement of early afternoon notification that Fed Ex delivered. My wife and I are both WFH these days, so she actually saw it first
and just shook her head.

I was expecting it to be a lightly used demo club. But it was brand spanking new with the shrink-wrap over the head and grip. It was a 9.5* with the stock Evenflo stiff shaft.

I had a gap between meetings and live less than 5 minutes from my home course, so I had to take it to the range. I'd hit balls before work this AM (another benefit of working from home) and my swing had felt pretty grooved.

After a breif warm up with an 9 ron, I put it head to head against my PING G410 Plus (9* turned up to 10* with the Alta shaft).

The ZX5 looks gorgeous. I play the ZX5 irons and the driver looks just as good. The first impressions were that it had a very 'clangy' sound. The sound of a driver isn't normally a big deal for me, but just the feeling/sound at impact wasn't something I liked.

The ball jumps off the face pretty well. But I don't think the Evenflo is a great fit for my swing. It felt 'light and loose' and I had a 2 way miss going with it. There was a 30 mph headwind which exacerbated any side spin and obviously ate up the distance. But the PING felt better from a weight/balance perspective and felt more 'solid' at impact. My results were better as well.

The good thing about it being an extended demo is I'll get a chance to take it out a few more times this week. Today was a rushed midday session. I look forward to getting it out when I can take my time with it. I may also put it into play for the 9-hole league game we have on Thursday night.

I got another session with it and it's just a not a good fit for me. I went back and forth between the G410 Plus and ZX5. I REALLY wanted to love the Srixon, but the PING was just a better for me in every way. Better distance, dispersion, sound, forgiveness.

That's not an indictment of the ZX5 at all. Everybody makes REALLY good stuff right now. A lot of it comes down to preference and fit. I highly suspect part of it is the Evenflow Riptide is just not a good fit for me. But even with a different shaft, the sound/feel isn't what I'm looking for.

It was definitely worth the $30 to demo it. I'll give it another few sessions to see how I like it.

Perfect circumstances would be being able to try different shafts at an outdoor range.

The only outdoor fitting I've done in the last 6 months was a Titleist fitting at my club. I REALLY liked the TSi2. It edged out my PING on performance. My only issue is the fitting felt a little rushed. The fitter just had me try to different shafts (AV Blue X in 60 gram and 70 gram.). I had no idea what flex I was hitting until he wrote down the specs. I've never been an X player and felt like once I knew the flex, I would try to swing it differently.

I ordered the ZX5 demo, interested to a/b with my G400Max. I prefer having a club to hit over multiple days than a single fitting session. Also waiting on zx7 AW and zx5 5i. Fun having stuff in the pipeline and wondering if the brown truck will be dropping something off. Like extended Xmas.

Really impressed with the ZX7. My shoulder has been giving me a bit of a fit lately but I went to the range today anyway. It sets up so nice behind the ball and has a good looking crown. I was more comfortable with it then anything I have tried before. I feel like I can just swing it free and fluid and know there will be a good result.

Distances look on par with everything else out there and I can hit little tight draws or little tight fades. The sound is good for me. A bit louder then the Mavrik Max for example but in a good way. It sounds and feels alive and powerful.

I ordered the heavier weights for my ZX5 and I think that did the trick. Better overall feel for the club through the swing, and some balls where I thought were launching too high, came down a bit that led to some great distances. The forgiveness is what I’m really happy about. This head is a smaller footprint than the mav max but offers as much forgiveness as the Max. Spin is not an issue and on shots off center I’m still seeing balls in the 250 range. When I catch one I am seeing numbers in the 265-280 range which is a new number for me. My tee game has been one of accuracy and not so much distance. Now I have distance to match my accuracy and it’s fun.

if anyone is struggling with the stock 8gm weight, go grab the 10 or 12 gm weight and tinker. I think it will unlock another level for this driver.

I had detailed my experience in another thread but I think it would be good to add my thoughts in here!
I had a Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 9° with a stock project X Evenflow Blue 6.0S. When I bought the driver I had a very strong grip so the fade bias of the driver really suited my swing. I then underwent a big swing change to get rid of my very hook based swing. I can now hit everything straight except this driver. I have been really struggling with my driver dispersion, frequently hitting shots way out to the right to the point where I would take it out of the bag.
So I decided to get a new driver that would help me to hit more fairways.
Booked in a fitting and explained all my problems to the fitter. He had me hit my Rogue so we could get a baseline to work with. I proceeded to hit 5 or 6 absolute bombs right down the middle. I couldn't believe it because that very rarely happens. Either way I needed a new driver as I had already sold it and was posting it off after the fitting! Haha
Personally I think it's because I had already explained how bad I hit it and was trying to show him, all pressure was off to hit it straight. One thing I really don't like is that I feel that the clubhead doesn't sit square to the ball, I have to pick it up and turn it in my hands to get it to square up to the ball. I am always worried then whether it is square or not.
Anyway the fitter was a bit bewildered/amused but we went ahead with the fitting. First thing was to take some swings with the Mizuno Shaft Optimiser at my request. It recommended two shafts at around 70 grams in X flex and another in 60 X.
He put together a few drivers, Callaway Max LS, Ping G425 LST, Cobra Radspeed and XB and the TaylorMade Sim2 Max. I really wanted to try the Mizuno STX but he told me there is a 3 month waiting period for it so I decided against.
I then proceeded to put on a slice clinic with every club! Haha that's more like it, just like how I normally hit my Rogue. I felt that all of these, except the Sim2 and Radspeeds sat very open with me needing to close them with my grip to make them square. The radspeed was actually quite good at hitting straighter than the others but it was way too low spin. My balls were carrying less but rolling out for miles.
After I had hit all of these he was like why don't you try the Srixon ZX7, you are buying the irons so why not try the driver?
In all honesty it didn't really appeal to me just because it looks a bit goofy with the sole graphics. Anyway he put it together and handed it to me.
Wow! What a beautiful clubhead at address! It just looked so right, very traditional shape and it sat perfectly square with no manipulation from me. I just knew I was going to hit it well.
I went on to hit 10 or so beautiful high draws into a very similar area. I was down on distance vs the Rogue but by this point I had been hitting driver swings for over an hour.
It was clear to us that this was the right driver for me. We agreed that I should come back after a couple of days and try it again when fresh.
I went back 2 days later and I wasn't swinging quite as well but this was a good thing. I put several bad swings on it and all of them would be on the fairway. The shortest being 265 and the longest 309. All of this was with the Graphite Design Tour AD HD7 X. This is an up charge so he got me to hit some of the stock shafts as well just to confirm that this was best.
It was easily the best both on dispersion and distance. It was a good session because it showed an improvement in dispersion for me and also the ability to really get out there when I swing well.
So I bought it! Now it's just a waiting game for it to arrive.
But yeah big lesson learned there. Don't dismiss something without even trying it!
Blue circle is Rogue SZ
Red is Epic Max LS
White is G425 LST
Yellow is Radspeed
Orange is ZX7
91a1d46c7220b5d86223fa02c343ea2d.jpg
4a0311d31b8a7cb44518bcaea2511fcb.jpg
cd519e106db36696d64628fa49ba2e6f.jpg

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

So far the hybrid has been a great insert into the bag, love it at the hybrid spot. A great tee replacement club and I'm seeing great distance out of it, not as much height, but that's a me not the club problem!

I had detailed my experience in another thread but I think it would be good to add my thoughts in here!
I had a Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 9° with a stock project X Evenflow Blue 6.0S. When I bought the driver I had a very strong grip so the fade bias of the driver really suited my swing. I then underwent a big swing change to get rid of my very hook based swing. I can now hit everything straight except this driver. I have been really struggling with my driver dispersion, frequently hitting shots way out to the right to the point where I would take it out of the bag.
So I decided to get a new driver that would help me to hit more fairways.
Booked in a fitting and explained all my problems to the fitter. He had me hit my Rogue so we could get a baseline to work with. I proceeded to hit 5 or 6 absolute bombs right down the middle. I couldn't believe it because that very rarely happens. Either way I needed a new driver as I had already sold it and was posting it off after the fitting! Haha
Personally I think it's because I had already explained how bad I hit it and was trying to show him, all pressure was off to hit it straight. One thing I really don't like is that I feel that the clubhead doesn't sit square to the ball, I have to pick it up and turn it in my hands to get it to square up to the ball. I am always worried then whether it is square or not.
Anyway the fitter was a bit bewildered/amused but we went ahead with the fitting. First thing was to take some swings with the Mizuno Shaft Optimiser at my request. It recommended two shafts at around 70 grams in X flex and another in 60 X.
He put together a few drivers, Callaway Max LS, Ping G425 LST, Cobra Radspeed and XB and the TaylorMade Sim2 Max. I really wanted to try the Mizuno STX but he told me there is a 3 month waiting period for it so I decided against.
I then proceeded to put on a slice clinic with every club! Haha that's more like it, just like how I normally hit my Rogue. I felt that all of these, except the Sim2 and Radspeeds sat very open with me needing to close them with my grip to make them square. The radspeed was actually quite good at hitting straighter than the others but it was way too low spin. My balls were carrying less but rolling out for miles.
After I had hit all of these he was like why don't you try the Srixon ZX7, you are buying the irons so why not try the driver?
In all honesty it didn't really appeal to me just because it looks a bit goofy with the sole graphics. Anyway he put it together and handed it to me.
Wow! What a beautiful clubhead at address! It just looked so right, very traditional shape and it sat perfectly square with no manipulation from me. I just knew I was going to hit it well.
I went on to hit 10 or so beautiful high draws into a very similar area. I was down on distance vs the Rogue but by this point I had been hitting driver swings for over an hour.
It was clear to us that this was the right driver for me. We agreed that I should come back after a couple of days and try it again when fresh.
I went back 2 days later and I wasn't swinging quite as well but this was a good thing. I put several bad swings on it and all of them would be on the fairway. The shortest being 265 and the longest 309. All of this was with the Graphite Design Tour AD HD7 X. This is an up charge so he got me to hit some of the stock shafts as well just to confirm that this was best.
It was easily the best both on dispersion and distance. It was a good session because it showed an improvement in dispersion for me and also the ability to really get out there when I swing well.
So I bought it! Now it's just a waiting game for it to arrive.
But yeah big lesson learned there. Don't dismiss something without even trying it!
Blue circle is Rogue SZ
Red is Epic Max LS
White is G425 LST
Yellow is Radspeed
Orange is ZX7
91a1d46c7220b5d86223fa02c343ea2d.jpg
4a0311d31b8a7cb44518bcaea2511fcb.jpg
cd519e106db36696d64628fa49ba2e6f.jpg

What was the deciding factor over the the Rogue? That blue circle is looking pretty good on that screenshot

What was the deciding factor over the the Rogue? That blue circle is looking pretty good on that screenshot
The blue circle looks truly fantastic! Haha
The truth of the matter is that Shotscope has me down at 18% FIR with my driver in 2021.
The Srixon appealed to me as I am looking to get back into the fairway off the tee. I felt like there was a level of control with the Srixon which wasn't there with any of the others. I could set it up and hit a draw or a fade. With the others I was just struggling to keep it straight.
How much of that is down to the shaft I don't know. But the ZX7 head certainly sat very square for me which gave me confidence before hitting the ball.

Reactions: MH
The blue circle looks truly fantastic! Haha
The truth of the matter is that Shotscope has me down at 18% FIR with my driver in 2021.
The Srixon appealed to me as I am looking to get back into the fairway off the tee. I felt like there was a level of control with the Srixon which wasn't there with any of the others. I could set it up and hit a draw or a fade. With the others I was just struggling to keep it straight.
How much of that is down to the shaft I don't know. But the ZX7 head certainly sat very square for me which gave me confidence before hitting the ball.

Right on, looking forward to hearing your thoughts on it once you get out on the course. I have yet to see either of the Srixon heads in person but really like the look of them in pictures

Had my fitting yesterday with the zx5/7 at true spec golf in a NYC. Wasn't putting a great consistent swing on it and had a lot of hooks, but when I made my adjustments they were great drives. So they're building it up and I should have it in a couple weeks, looking forward to putting against my g400max

Ok ok I am in love with this ZX7. I saw places on my home course yesterday I had not reached before. I was tattooing the poor Z-Star with it including driving one of the par 4s. Not the clubs fault but I did eventually lose my driver swing when we caught some slow groups. That is not unusual for me but the ZU85 2i was a good alternate option when that happened.

Still, I can’t say enough about how much I love the ZX7. I have tried so many drivers and had quite a few I really liked after the same amount of time as this one but I don’t recall ever being this enamored with one. It’s just a great club.

Ahhh can't wait for mine to arrive!

Back