Srixon ZX Mark II players: did you combo, and if so, how? Also curious if anyone came from T100S to Srixon

weeicemon

Reaction score
Handicap
LOVE my T100S irons, but interested in a little more forgiveness, so looking at the ZX5 Mark II. Was debating blending the ZX4s in for the 5 and 6 irons, but would need to adjust lofts to minimize any large yardage gaps.

How did you build your set? I’ve played Nippon 105s for a few years now and think I’ll stick with them in the Srixons, but was curious about their stock shaft.

For reference, I’m 55, an ~8 handicap, with a 165 yard 7 iron.

Split at 9i between ZX4 and Zx7. Have a 9i of each for gapping.

I need a little more forgiveness so I went full ZX4's. Love the set. I came from T-300's and feel that the irons are similar.

Prob. doesn't help you much but can confirm these irons are fantastic.

I think coming from the T100S, you would find even the ZX7 to be more forgiving. I did not do any combo, just straight ZX7 from 5i-AW. Can’t go wrong, all of the Srixons are great irons.

I combo’d

7-PW ZX5 and 6 in the ZX4, it has worked beautifully so far. Love my irons.

LOVE my T100S irons, but interested in a little more forgiveness, so looking at the ZX5 Mark II. Was debating blending the ZX4s in for the 5 and 6 irons, but would need to adjust lofts to minimize any large yardage gaps.

How did you build your set? I’ve played Nippon 105s for a few years now and think I’ll stick with them in the Srixons, but was curious about their stock shaft.

For reference, I’m 55, an ~8 handicap, with a 165 yard 7 iron.

I think I am your guy. I am 57, a 5 index at the moment but am shorter than you as I hit 7i 155. I own a set of T100s that have had Modus 120 S in them and are currently shafted with Xcaliber 95 in r flex.

I went with a combo set. I did AW, PW in the ZX7, 6-9 in the ZX 5 and ordered a 5i in the ZX4. I had lofts adjusted to get the gapping I wanted to match what the ZX5 lofts would have been. I can double check but I think it was 1* strong on the PW/GW and 1* weak on the 5i. I ordered the irons with DART 75s and have put Recoil 95s in them currently. I just tended to get too quick in transition with the 75g shafts which led to over the top swings. I wish I could have gotten the temp right because the shafts were super stable. I wasn't getting pull hooks just missed left because of club path.

I do find the ZX5 look to be more user friendly than the T100s. The T100s look small. I do believe the T100s have a tremendous amount of forgiveness for a small club but the ZX5 just looks more welcoming. I do find the ZX5 to be much more forgiving on slightly heavy hits. The sole design really moves through the ground well when hit a touch heavy.

I never got comfortable with the ZX4 5i. I thought it looked fine at address and I didn't have any issues looking down at it. I just never seemed to hit good shots with it either on the course, at the range or indoors on trackman. On the range I would hit the 6i well, grab the 5i and hit it poorly then go back and hit the 5i well. I had all the lofts and lies checked so I knew they were what I needed so it wasn't that. I found someone with a ZX5 5i head that would do a swap so now I have 5-9 in ZX5 and PW/AW in ZX7. I am getting along better with the ZX5 5i although I do need to have it bent flat like the rest of my clubs.

Distance wise I think they are very close. The PW and AW on the T100s are 2* stronger and I do hit them a few yard farther than the ZX5 but given the sole design I am sure I could adjust the lofts a bit if I wanted to. I did adjust my wedges to flow differently with the ZX5 than what I have with my T100s but I could stay with the wedge lofts I was playing.

Long winded but in summary I do think the ZX5 is a bit more forgiving especially on heavy shots. I prefer the look of the T100s AW to the ZX5 but it isn't an issue. Frankly I could play either set of irons but will likely wind up with the ZX5s in the bag long term. I could see at some point after the Experience trying the Xcaliber shafts in them I really like those shafts.

I think @MSEASU may have some insight here???

I think the stock shaft in the ZX5 is the M105 and it is the M120 in the ZX7.

Back