Srixon ZX Utility Iron Review

Jman

Here for the Conversation
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
SOFTCAPPED
The utility iron continues to be one of the hottest club categories out there. With advances in materials and design, the playability has come up to where it isn’t just Tour players who can benefit from them. Whether being used as a driving iron or a long iron replacement, their popularity continues to grow. 

While Srixon has produced some extremely popular models through the years, there has always been some give and take. This year, they believe they have checked all of the boxes with tech, looks, and performance all rolled into one. 

The ZX Utility is coming, and not only do we at THP have all the design info for you, we were also lucky enough to get one in hand for a workout. Let’s take a closer look. 

1-5.jpg

Quick Take

Feel and...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:
Will Srixon offer these in a combo set with either the ZX5 or ZX7 line ups?

Damn this looks sooooo appealing. Ponder mode engaged.

Nice write up?

great review!! Looks like it spins less than the u85 which I dont mind in my 2 or 3i spot... I too found the u85 to be very accurate and easy to hit, but launched a bit high with slower speed compared to other utilities

This is definitely on my radar

Great write-up James and photos as well stellar as usual 😉.

• Staff
Will Srixon offer these in a combo set with either the ZX5 or ZX7 line ups?
It will be an option. They’re willing to allow/make any combo piece by piece this year (y)

• Staff
great review!! Looks like it spins less than the u85 which I dont mind in my 2 or 3i spot... I too found the u85 to be very accurate and easy to hit, but launched a bit high with slower speed compared to other utilities

This is definitely on my radar
Yup, this is what I personally have wanted to see out of a Srixon utility forever. It’s got the same powerful but plush feedback at impact, but now there’s some legit firepower behind it.

Post session I managed to get this one up to 147 :oops:

This club. This one, it’s the one that has had me downright giddy to discuss the past week. Mainframe is the real deal, and the speed of this one is FILTHY. I 100% look forward to hitting the 18 ASAP.

Reactions: J4U
The any combo you want option is great news for consumers IMO. Get a set you want with the size of face you want. Near blades are excellent PW's IMO and almost everyone could play them.

A slimmed profile and more ball speed is exactly what the last release needed. Great write up - I'm looking forward to hitting these.

The any combo you want option is great news for consumers IMO. Get a set you want with the size of face you want. Near blades are excellent PW's IMO and almost everyone could play them.
What I’ll be interesting to see is how people combo, because as mentioned in the piece, these are actually smaller than the ZX5 in a couple of important measurements.

A slimmed profile and more ball speed is exactly what the last release needed. Great write up - I'm looking forward to hitting these.
In a word....FILTHY.

Sounds just about like the perfect utility iron.

Sounds just about like the perfect utility iron.
I came in “eh” based on what I’d experienced from the other ZU’s I’ve owned, and left with my mind boggled.

I wish these would have gone up to the 5 iron. I want something a little like this in that slot. Maybe they will fill that need with a different iron (ZX4??).

I wish these would have gone up to the 5 iron. I want something a little like this in that slot. Maybe they will fill that need with a different iron (ZX4??).
I think ZX5 fits that bill honestly. It (ZX5) does have more offset and a thicker sole than these after all.

1/6 preorder is too far away LOL.

Smaller, more compact and blade like at address hmm, but if the new tech (mainframe) milled pattern on the backside of the UT maximizes COR for more ball speed and distance but it still has the forgiveness due to the hollow design, I need to stack this up against my current UT and see how it goes head to head.

I like that it's not adjustable as well.

Noelle didn't steer me wrong with balls, might need to ask her thoughts on the clubs :LOL::LOL::LOL:

Excellent review @Jman

The ZU85 is a rocket for me (18° 2i in my bag) so if they have improved these even further I might not need the 2i, and instead put the 3i version in my bag if I was to swap

Excellent review @Jman

The ZU85 is a rocket for me (18° 2i in my bag) so if they have improved these even further I might not need the 2i, and instead put the 3i version in my bag if I was to swap
I believe these are a big jump for the right person. If the 85’s spun a bit much for you, these will spin lower but also produce more ball speed. They’re legit.

I believe these are a big jump for the right person. If the 85’s spun a bit much for you, these will spin lower but also produce more ball speed. They’re legit.
I can't remember the numbers, but I don't think they spin too much for me - it is more that if they produce more ball speed then what distance change will that give me?

I don't have your club speed, but when playing well, I can carry my 2i roughly 230-240yds with some nice roll on firm fairways, so more distance from the new ZX line would have me thinking about how to gap the top end of my bag

I can't remember the numbers, but I don't think they spin too much for me - it is more that if they produce more ball speed then what distance change will that give me?

I don't have your club speed, but when playing well, I can carry my 2i roughly 230-240yds with some nice roll on firm fairways, so more distance from the new ZX line would have me thinking about how to gap the top end of my bag
I think a lot of people are going to like the improved visual at address too, way less junk in the trunk visible at setup :ROFLMAO:

This will be a preorder for me without a doubt and those ball speeds are ridiculous. I’ve been trying to find a utility that can stay in my bag performance wise while looking really, really good and I think we have a contender here.

This will be a preorder for me without a doubt and those ball speeds are ridiculous. I’ve been trying to find a utility that can stay in my bag performance wise while looking really, really good and I think we have a contender here.
So so so so good. Truly.

Back