Srixon ZX5 and Mizuno JPX 921 Forged

fistfullofbeer

Akshay ("Ak" + "Shay")
Reaction score
Handicap
20's
I am looking for thoughts and feedback from folks who have been lucky enough to try both. Areas of interest to me are:

Feel
Forgiveness

As a higher handicap (18-21) I am curious more about the forgiveness aspect to be honest as I am certain they both feel great.

I was very excited to try the Mizuno 921s and honestly I hated them. I’ll cut them some slack since I wasn’t playing well around the time I tried them but felt they offered very little forgiveness.

I hit the ZX5s at the same time and absolutely loved the flight. Feel was also pretty good and so was forgiveness. Only thing I didn’t like was the look at address and the fact they were a step back from my current irons. I’d be tempted to try a ZX7/ZX5 combo. The ZX5s will be way better than the 921s for a higher capper like yourself. They will also offer plenty of room for improvement.

A notable mention which you should consider is the Titleist T200s. The feel was incredible off the face and I found them to be quite forgiving as well. Just slightly less than the ZX5s but ymmv.

I tried the 921 sometime back at Golf Galaxy with a couple different shaft options no experience with ZZ5. My finding with the 921 on that day was they were not going to be able to replace my Forge Tec clubs. Forgiveness was not what and where I wanted them to fit. I’m a 14 trending down striking ball fairly well. A little more forgiveness might benefit you. Demo of you can.

I was very excited to try the Mizuno 921s and honestly I hated them. I’ll cut them some slack since I wasn’t playing well around the time I tried them but felt they offered very little forgiveness.

I hit the ZX5s at the same time and absolutely loved the flight. Feel was also pretty good and so was forgiveness. Only thing I didn’t like was the look at address and the fact they were a step back from my current irons. I’d be tempted to try a ZX7/ZX5 combo. The ZX5s will be way better than the 921s for a higher capper like yourself. They will also offer plenty of room for improvement.

A notable mention which you should consider is the Titleist T200s. The feel was incredible off the face and I found them to be quite forgiving as well. Just slightly less than the ZX5s but ymmv.
Thank you. The T200's were actually another club I was thinking about. At the time I was looking for clubs last time, I tried and loved the AP2's. More so than the AP3's and hit them better than the Callaway Rogues I ended up with. At that time it was more due to financial reasons as I just did not want to spend that much and just went with my 2nd choice in the Rogues. Things are slightly different now.

I don't think there are that many options for a high-handicapper (18-21) like myself when looking for forged irons.

T200's
JPX 921 Forged (or so I thought)
Apex + Apex DCB combo
Srixon ZX5
PXG 0311

Not sure if there really are any more.

Thank you. The T200's were actually another club I was thinking about. At the time I was looking for clubs last time, I tried and loved the AP2's. More so than the AP3's and hit them better than the Callaway Rogues I ended up with. At that time it was more due to financial reasons as I just did not want to spend that much and just went with my 2nd choice in the Rogues. Things are slightly different now.

I don't think there are that many options for a high-handicapper (18-21) like myself when looking for forged irons.

T200's
Apex + Apex DCB combo
Srixon ZX5
PXG 0311

Try the PXG 0211. They’re having a wicked sale on them. I haven’t hit the 0211’s but the 0311’s were awesome. Idk what your goals are but if I were in your shoes the irons you have listed there are the ones I’d be looking at. I’d highly recommend getting a fitting because it gives you the chance to try countless irons and find the perfect combo

During testing feel went to Mizuno but forgiveness went to the ZX5, although the 921 Forged were pretty forgiving off the toe which is my main miss.

Don't sleep on the Cobra Forged TEC. They seemed to give more forgiveness than the 921 Forged's and still felt really good.

I enjoyed the performance for the ZX5 but the badge in the back didn't appeal to my eye.

Owning both the 921F and Apex 21 Standard, the forgiveness nod goes to the Apex. Feel, on good strikes, goes to the 921F.

You may want to consider the Mizuno 921 Hot Metal Pros? Cheaper than a set of Apex clubs.

Last edited:
I think the 921 is more like the zx7 on forgiveness but the zx7 felt like butter , the zx5 would be mor forgiving as well but I didn’t think the zx7 was much different but felt smoother

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agree with trying Hot Metal Pros.
Don't rule them out because they are not forged, they feel great and are outstanding in terms of looks, performance and forgiveness.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

T200's
Apex + Apex DCB combo
Srixon ZX5
PXG 0311

The 921F and PXG 0311 are not for those who do not hit their irons consistently.

I don't know why you want forged in an iron. Once you get "forged" out of your head, another world opens up - 921 Hot Metal, Honma TR21X/

But if you want something that has forging - Apex DCB, Apex Combo is full of tech and forgiveness from the marketing.

T200's
Apex + Apex DCB combo
Srixon ZX5
PXG 0311

Used set of CF-16s from Callaway Preowned would be a suggestion that's tough to beat considering looks,feel,distance,forgiveness. Mentor PO website until a set pops up with shafts and specs you like. Personally didn't own them but did own the Apex 14s and 19s. Hit the cf-16s a few times after having owned 50 sets of irons they as good as any.

I have done the direct head to head comparison between the ZX5 and 921F.
Feel the ZX5 wins hands down which surprised me, how it interacts with the turf is a different level to the 921F and as a result how it feels off the clubface.
Forgiveness wise there wasn't much in it for me with the 921F maybe slightly edging it.
The majority of my testing was off a mat, once I got them both out onto the grass range the ZX5 was much better on feel, strike and forgiveness.
We are all different so try them all before you decide!
Good luck

Back