Srixon ZX5 and ZX7 Irons Review

Lots of good shots with them out there. A couple.. different. They feel great, they're fairly long, and are delicious through the turf. I'll update some thoughts and stuff after I go bend the rest of them to my specs. I might want to take them out again on the holiday.

Of course man! I’m here for you all however I can help, always!

Dispersion wise, if you’re one use to true players profiles, then the ZX7 are as on point ther was you could want, and at times with the VT sole and how it interacts with all types of lies, better than many. Of course we both know though that shaft fit is a key there when it comes to dispersion as well.

For feel, in line with the 745, 765, and 785....which is to say very good. Not deadened at impact as there’s a slight bit of firmness in there but not one that comes off as sharp at all, it rides a middle line beautifully. Not for me one of the “softest” out there, but one of the best overall feeling setups I’ve spent time with. There’s not going to be anything in that area that most wont like feedback wise.
Thanks much appreciated! This forum is keeping me going until lockdown ends. I think I build a different fantasy bag every day

If you were to game these would you game them at standard loft?

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Thanks much appreciated! This forum is keeping me going until lockdown ends. I think I build a different fantasy bag every day

If you were to game these would you game them at standard loft?

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

I see no reason to alter lofts, of course every person is different

Okaaaay. So finally home. There a whole bunch of vids from today hitting the ZX7 in the Live Round thread if anyone wants to see a guy playing never swung irons 2* too upright, with shafts he doesn't like, and compensating for a seriously crap left hip and knee right now with a lot of extra movement, mostly pound the greens with them.

Hopped on a monitor real quick for a few swings about 45 minutes after (and after bending) to get a feel for what they are and what I was seeing out there. I was seeing a lot of my types of shots with spin in the 5300s with occasional dips to around 5k. If I raised the launch a little I could live in the 5600-5750 range, and playing a high cut I didn't get above 6k. So end avgs were 125 BS, 18.3 launch, 180 carry, 5442 spin with TP5. I'm not necessarily low spin in a 7-iron (usually 5800-ish) but I'm definitely not a high spin guy on a mat either.

All of that goes pretty well with what I saw out there for me. I knew they'd be a little longer (32* 7i) so I was chippy with them the first few holes. It's a position course with really firm and fast greens, and nothing good waiting if you bomb them. Got a little more comfortable with what I thought would be expected distances, and played well to them, but saw more roll out than I'm used to. Keep in mind that I've been playing P7MC and Apex MB lately, which are 34*, and the greens on that course are no freaking joke. So I'm sure it would all be pretty playable most places and for most people's wishes on control. I definitely crossed the low end spin boundary on one par 3 shot. It released way more than I'm used to, even with P770. Probably just me, and my usual irons covering for what I did a little better. Way too early to make any conclusions for me, but I'd be inclined to take them a degree weak if I had to choose them for something important tomorrow.

Great through the turf, which was awesome on the punchy ones. Felt good. You can tell they're soft, but the have a solid feel to them and feedback is reeeeal good. I liked that. Sound profile is a little unique to me. And I shot a real good score with them, so that's always nice. lol Definitely lost a couple opportunities early from lack of distance familiarity and the lie angle took some getting used to. Notice I'm aiming right and planning for a draw in a lot of the videos. Put a little cut on the last par 3, but it wasn't easy.

So those are my first impressions. I have the whole set obviously if anyone wants pictures or comparisons with other irons for size or look at address or whatever. Happy to take the time to snap a few with what I have on hand. Actually, I'll probably take some anyway as soon as I'm bored now that the plastic is off. :p

Sidenote - I want it known that I definitely did not do anything shady or outside the lines to acquire them. They're out there. For a while now.

Last edited:
So who else is eager to try these out?

I can’t wait to see these in person & hit them, the zx7’s are right up there with the cobra’s for my 2nd set of irons in 2021.

@Jman did u post comparison pics with the cobra’s?

Srixon always makes some of the best looking irons in my opinion. Both of these look and sound fantastic. Like what they've got going on in this lineup.

good stuff @OldandStiff interesting to hear some spin concerns outdoors. may not just be something seen off mats? curious to try them myself, but as time goes on i feel like these are not as high on my list as they were initially.

Im looking forward to hitting them side by side with the PTx Pros. Since we are there, how do the ZX7 compare to the PTx Pros in both size and feel?

Looking forward to trying these irons. Having played 765's I think these will be right in line but better.

@Jman did u post comparison pics with the cobra’s?
Didn’t get a chance to take them today, was running crazy to appointments and meetings throughout. I’ll nab them in the morning.

Reactions: MH
Im looking forward to hitting them side by side with the PTx Pros. Since we are there, how do the ZX7 compare to the PTx Pros in both size and feel?
I’ll snap a pic of the 7’s tomorrow.

PTx pro are shorter heel to toe, but wider sole. For feel, the ZX7 are a forged CB and the Pro’s are hollow, so there’s a more “traditional” feel here imo.

I love these irons and will order a set but from what I read, there isn't an appreciable difference between the 5s and 7s. Both designs look, forgiving (perimiter weighting and marginal diffdrence in length). So, if I were to choose one over the other I would select the one that feels best...the ZX7s. Is that fair to say?

I love these irons and will order a set but from what I read, there isn't an appreciable difference between the 5s and 7s. Both designs look, forgiving (perimiter weighting and marginal diffdrence in length). So, if I were to choose one over the other I would select the one that feels best...the ZX7s. Is that fair to say?
The 5s and 7s are quite different in both construction and size

D9E7DC59-8E02-499E-8C8B-A6FD1648EC82.jpeg

Here is the 5 iron side by side.

978D1C78-CD56-40D2-B381-24B61C20A4B5.jpeg
Here it is next to 5s.

B1B745C7-C0C0-4A94-B77D-A8962B379A0F.jpeg

Right here, would love to test these out, especially with Noelle's comments on OffCourse still bouncing around in my head! Just wondering how good they must be when the irons they improved upon were so good :unsure:

Awesome, thanks so much. The side by side of the ZX7 and the PTx Pros gives me a bit of anxiety to be honest. That’s real thin. I was leaving combo set, but I think ZX5s may be the best option for me throughout the set.

They are a pure player's cavity for sure. Some strong tech, but (and I think @Jman can speak more on this than I can) the 5s are a different animal and something that has quite a bit going on. I don't view this line as the 5s and the 7s are the same just in two different sized packages.

20201125_010426.jpg

20201125_010500.jpg

20201125_010347.jpg

Compact to longer - P770, ZX7, T100S, Apex Pro

Actual thinnest to thickest top line would be T100S, ZX7, and then P770 and Apex Pro are pretty close. Perceived would put Pro higher on the list and drop ZX7 down, imo.

Going to take a few with a couple more. P7MC, Mav Pro, see what else is in the apartment closet...

well those are nice quick shots.

Back