Srixon ZX5 and ZX7 Irons Review

Gapping session sounds like a great idea 💡! This morning I walked in the golf shop, bought these off the rack, and did just that 🔥🔥. Here is what I’ll be working with, ball is ZStar XV.

View attachment 8993383
Looks good!

Off the rack, huh? Stock Modus?

Looks good!

Off the rack, huh? Stock Modus?

Yes, Modus 120s. Mix and matchable with my Z Forged with same shaft for the moment, though I may get frisky and swap these out for graphite once the season gets rolling.

I tend to be a standard length and lie kind of guy so it makes shopping straightforward.

The next guy that walked in after me was in his 60’s, seemed to be a fan of forged irons and was seriously looking at a ZX5 iron set purchase. It Says something when the only two randoms hitting irons on a Sunday AM both walked in the store looking for Srixon.

The set I ordered finally showed up today. They sure are purdy! :srixon: :bananadance:

You've inspired me to get my order in. I just talked to a buddy who is the head of the greens comittee at our club and they are shooting for an April 2nd opening, mother nature allowing.

I just sent this in to our pro. :)

View attachment 8993384
Atta boy, show him who’s in charge. Good luck with them, I love them.

Atta boy, show him who’s in charge. Good luck with them, I love them.

I never upgraded from my Z765 set because the 785’s were almost the exact same look. The ZX7’s are sexy, something like the golf version of an Aston Martin Superleggera. :)

538F92BE-F9B2-4747-B748-97C46A73B46B.jpeg

Last edited:
Srixon ZX7 with Modus3 105 gram stiff shafts. Hit them for an hour during a fitting side by side next to my TM P790 that I was fitted for 2 years ago. Not even close, Srixon blew them away. Feel, consistency and dispersion all much better. Beautiful sticks I must say. All the reviews that are raving about them were spot on. If get the chance, hit them. You won’t be disappointed. My TMs are going up for sale.
How did distance compare with the P790?

Hope to have my ZX5s in hand by next week 😍😍

Curious, have your clubs arrived yet? I ordered what I think is a set pretty close to yours (Recoil 95 F4's, grips not installed, standard L/L/L of ZX7's split with ZX5's at the 6i). My order was placed only a couple of weeks ago.

How did distance compare with the P790?
Perhaps the ZX7‘s are 5 yards longer with a MUCH tighter dispersion, but not the reason why I pulled the trigger on these. The feel is SOOOOOO much better and easier for me to work the ball. Playing a firm ball off the 790s didn‘t always feel the best even when hit well. One 7i would go 185 and the next 7i would be 165. The hollow head with the speed foam was not very consistent, after all, what the hell is speed foam? I had 120g KBS $ taper shaft that felt like a board and heavy. After playing 36 some days, by the time I got to the 32nd hole, it felt like a telephone pole to me. The Modus 105g shaft along with ZX7 forged head feels extremely soft even with a firm ball. The ball launch’s nice and easy with this setup compared with what I had before and the feel is awesome. Best combo of shaft and head I have ever played over the last 40 years. After hitting them everyday over the last week, I would say most likely the distance for the head is probably the same as the 790s, but for me, am getting a little more distance and tighter dispersion due to the head/shaft combo. Never get wrapped up in distance. Be concerned on the gapping of your clubs. I could care less if I hit a 7i 185 or 175, if I can gap properly from 3w to my AW, keep the dispersion tight, the number on the club is just a number. Just my humble opinion on distance when buying new sticks. I play and practice a lot and was looking for something more user friendly on my 57 year old body.

Last edited:
2nd time swinging clubs in months. Warmed up with my New Level irons (which is only 2nd time I’ve hit them also) and pulled out the ZX7 8i

first swing.... WOW!!! I have a feeling my iron play will be a lot of fun this summer

79FFB284-0999-434C-8B9C-F7ECA6C307F4.jpeg

Yes, 62 here and TrackMan three weeks ago said my average swing speed with drive was 99.8. So, not what it use to be but at least enough to have some options. I only asked because I used a P790 two years ago as a driving iron and it was long. I was surprised to hear someone say the ZX7 was even close, but I like it. I currently play Z945's in Recoil 110 F4's, but I have a combo set (ZX7 PW-7i, and ZX5's on the top)in Recoil 95 F4's ordered. Your post makes me even more excited.
I agree 100% with what you say about gapping. That is why I go to a Trackman fitter once a year, to make sure I have the gaps I want. If I have a strength as a 7HC, it would be due to repeatable distances with my irons. I could for sure go lower if it were not for my repeatable drives in the trees on my very tight home course :).
Keep hitting them well, and thank you!

Yes, 62 here and TrackMan three weeks ago said my average swing speed with drive was 99.8. So, not what it use to be but at least enough to have some options. I only asked because I used a P790 two years ago as a driving iron and it was long. I was surprised to hear someone say the ZX7 was even close, but I like it. I currently play Z945's in Recoil 110 F4's, but I have a combo set (ZX7 PW-7i, and ZX5's on the top)in Recoil 95 F4's ordered. Your post makes me even more excited.
I agree 100% with what you say about gapping. That is why I go to a Trackman fitter once a year, to make sure I have the gaps I want. If I have a strength as a 7HC, it would be due to repeatable distances with my irons. I could for sure go lower if it were not for my repeatable drives in the trees on my very tight home course :).
Keep hitting them well, and thank you!

Over the last several years, I have found this super helpful. I will rent a sim bay that has a trackman and go 3 days in a row. After I warm up, I will swing each club from driver to lob for 15 shots and record distance for each. I do this in the spring, mid-summer and again in December and compare numbers. Doing this takes the guesswork how far I hit each ball. Then when I play, I am super confident which club to pull. I found the 790s all over the place by +/- 20 yards, it was nuts. I did the same with new ZX7s this week, the dispersion is super tight and yardage is closer to +/- 10 yards. Once again, I changed the shafts from the 790s so am sure that factors in as well. But the feel is so much nicer than the 790s, you won’t be disappointed. Yes, I have OCD by the way.

How do those who got them with modus 120 like the shafts?

They didn't have the aftermarket shafts I wanted so I might just get them with the modus 120 as it was the stock option, might change down the road but hopefully, i like them.

Last edited:

They didn't have the aftermarket shafts I wanted so I got them with the modus 120 as it was the stock option, might change down the road but hopefully i like them.

I like them as a stock choice. Modus have a reputation for being smooth and I think they complement the heads well.

They didn't have the aftermarket shafts I wanted so I got them with the modus 120 as it was the stock option, might change down the road but hopefully i like them.
I feel like the Modus 120 S is one of the most universally appreciated shafts around. Fits a LOT of people pretty well. Pretty natural match for them too.

Local PGATSS is having a Srixon event and I snagged a time with a fitter. However, it's not until 3/20. I will be poking around well before then.

Only a few rounds in with mine and really like them so far. Very smooth, not that heavy.

I guess now it's just a waiting game, the worst part

I guess now it's just a waiting game, the worst part
At least your order is in and they will come eventually. Agree, waiting sucks but will be worth it.

At least your order is in and they will come eventually. Agree, waiting sucks but will be worth it.

What are the current lead-times given?

What are the current lead-times given?
I haven't seen an update on that lately. If waiting on something would be best to reach out to CS.

My set shipped, but now it’s stuck in FedEx purgatory. Man, I really want these in hand with all the love they are getting around here.

got my 2nd session in with my zx7's and man they just feel good. They dont feel as soft as the z-forged, but there's definitely a more explosive feeling off the face when you know you center it

What ive noticed is they mange spin very well on strikes across the face

I haven't seen an update on that lately. If waiting on something would be best to reach out to CS.

More curious than anything, no order in yet but these are at the top of my list for 2021.

Back