Srixon ZX5 and ZX7 Irons Review

Ordered 2/4 and told them I didn't care what grips and in fact just leave them off. Was told middle of March a couple of weeks ago.
Fingers crossed!

Interesting reading about the forgiveness of the ZX7. Some say its demanding, others forgiving for the category it’s in. Would love to read about some first hand experiences of people who’ve used 785/765/965/Z-Forged etc

I recently switched from 765/965 to 785/Z-Forged. I’m not getting on well with the ZF but find the 785 really playable and forgiving enough. In my experience the 965 were very forgiving for a blade and that hasn’t translated for me to the ZF. So I might make the change to the ZX7 assuming it’s as forgiving as the 785
@Jman Can definitely help

Interesting reading about the forgiveness of the ZX7. Some say its demanding, others forgiving for the category it’s in. Would love to read about some first hand experiences of people who’ve used 785/765/965/Z-Forged etc

I recently switched from 765/965 to 785/Z-Forged. I’m not getting on well with the ZF but find the 785 really playable and forgiving enough. In my experience the 965 were very forgiving for a blade and that hasn’t translated for me to the ZF. So I might make the change to the ZX7 assuming it’s as forgiving as the 785
I’d honestly call the ZX7 the most true players cavity design they’ve made so far, it is truly what you see is what you get. As such, it’s a profile that’s just by nature more demanding than many.

All that said, if you’re a 765 and 785 user, you’ll see a slightly more compact look, but one that’s still familiar and damn good.

Thanks for the reply.

They look very appealing. I find the 785 in the 5 and 6 iron very playable. They give you what you put in. Great shots are rewarded, slight misses are mitigated, big misses are not good. I don’t know of any club that gives you a great result on the big misses.

Think I’ll go with the ZX7. I might look at the ZX5 in the 5 and 6 irons if I can’t get along with the ZX7. I use a ZU85 as my 4 iron and will stick with that.

Don’t want to go ZX5 all the way through because it’s hard to match the lofts up when you transition through to your wedges

They are more forgiving than the 785

Was able to get to the range today with both my gamers and the ZX7.

Knee felt great and confident in posting to left side for the first time in over a year. I really think the knee had issues before the ACL totally tore a apart. It will be sore tomorrow!

Having the ZX7 taken down 2° made a world of difference and was seeing the flight I have come to expect.

It is SO odd looking down at a non black iron after gaming sets for so long in that color. They sure do look good though..at address, waggling, and in the bag.

I thought I had gained more distance over the PTx Pros when I first took them out before ajustment. Today I was seeing very similar distances and maybe a little less height, which I want.

Will need to get them on a course to see how they hold greens. I doubt it will be any issue with my flight. The range is astro turf and wasn't seeing a lot of roll even there so similar to my gamers. They sure do take off when flighting them down though, which was nice to see.

The feel is different from what I'm used to on strikes. Haven't had enough time with them to try and explain, but it feels more powerful.

Was happy to get a solid left side back as the distance increased at least a club. Similar in both sets but the ZX7 feel stronger? Almost like I have another gear to give them if I wanted. What's good about that is I think I have a lot more to throw at them once the knee, quad, hammy, calves are back to full strength

Can't wait to get them on the course.

It all came together today. My swing had been a little loose all winter. I finally broke down and saw my instructor. Today the ZX5s were absolute money. Just absolute high straight flushed rockets all day.

Pretty good round with the ZX7's today. Finally a warm day (above60°) so was seeing a bit more distance than from the 40° temps we have been playing in. Swinging nice and smooth and getting good results with ball flight and holding greens even with a Srixon Soft Feel ball. This is the first time I have had a 5 iron in the bag in quite some time and it is fairly easy to hit. Again a smooth swing was rewarded.

Pretty good round with the ZX7's today. Finally a warm day (above60°) so was seeing a bit more distance than from the 40° temps we have been playing in. Swinging nice and smooth and getting good results with ball flight and holding greens even with a Srixon Soft Feel ball. This is the first time I have had a 5 iron in the bag in quite some time and it is fairly easy to hit. Again a smooth swing was rewarded.

im excited to see how these do for you in warmer temps. I also love the profile isn’t too demanding and you’re getting great results out of them.

Today I went to a fitting, matched into the ZX7s with the stock modus 120s. Walked out of PGA superstore an hour later with these.

Went straight to a driving range on a cold windy day in NYC. Proceeded to hit shot after shot with a high piercing projectory that I haven't hit with any player's distance irons and I've hit a lot. The feel is beautiful. Compared to my JPX 921 forged which feel noticeably dull in comparison. These are more of a crisp soft if that makes any sense.

Just happens that these heads with the shafts are an amazing fit for my swing. I'm much more consistent with these clubs, which seems to go against logic for me.

Either player's CBs are easier to hit than I thought or these are more forgiving than most CBs. I never thought I could hit these type of irons.

Can't wait to take them on the course. Definitely curious how the Vsole performs. Seemed fine on a mat but it's a mat.
caa553876c11800c64ac51a155471031.jpg

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

Today I went to a fitting, matched into the ZX7s with the stock modus 120s. Walked out of PGA superstore an hour later with these.

Went straight to a driving range on a cold windy day in NYC. Proceeded to hit shot after shot with a high piercing projectory that I haven't hit with any player's distance irons and I've hit a lot. The feel is beautiful. Compared to my JPX 921 forged which feel noticeably dull in comparison. These are more of a crisp soft if that makes any sense.

Just happens that these heads with the shafts are an amazing fit for my swing. I'm much more consistent with these clubs, which seems to go against logic for me.

Either player's CBs are easier to hit than I thought or these are more forgiving than most CBs. I never thought I could hit these type of irons.

Can't wait to take them on the course. Definitely curious how the Vsole performs. Seemed fine on a mat but it's a mat.
caa553876c11800c64ac51a155471031.jpg

They look great in the bag!!! Congrats on an awesome set of irons.

I forgot to mention. The 4 iron is a rocket and incredibly easy to hit.

I forgot to mention. The 4 iron is a rocket and incredibly easy to hit.

Congrats on the new irons, those are gorgeous 💥 Hit them well!

Got to hit these today and despite not having a good feel for what a golf swing even looks like, these were buttery smooth. Looking forward to going back in a few weeks and actually giving these a legit trial.

Got my second round tomorrow with my combo set. I should have more thoughts after that, as the first round had moments of brilliance, and a few moments of hard fail. My main issue was that I kept hooking the short irons hard, but it was my fault. I think I need to have the lilies adjusted a bit, but I think I should have a better go at it tomorrow.

I love how the ZX7s feel but finding out that Keegan Bradley plays a combo set for his 4 and 5 irons makes me think I shouldn't be playing the longer irons in the 7s.

These irons are just performing great for me. Played some knockdown shots in the heavy winds today, some 3/4 swing shots that got the distance I was looking for. Turf interaction is great in the dormant zoysia or the fescue rough.

I love how the ZX7s feel but finding out that Keegan Bradley plays a combo set for his 4 and 5 irons makes me think I shouldn't be playing the longer irons in the 7s.

We also aren't playing for millions $$'s either so play what makes you happy. I don't play a 4 iron anymore but love my 5 iron in the 7 series.

We don't stand for blade shaming around here 😜. Play through brother, play on through.

I played the ZX7 today. I think it went pretty well. Definitely better than first time out after the shaft change. Played over 7k and got 14 greens, but really only missed 1 with the ZX's. Forgot was I was doing and what I was using for a second and bombed one into the river. Had some interesting roll out on a couple on what were surprisingly dry greens. We had such a wet fall that I only had a handful of rounds with them before things got softer, and taking them 1 weak in conbibation with that I hadn't really seen much of that since those early rounds. I maintain my curiosity about how they'll work for me when it warms up.

Hit all the par 3's though (201, 138, 230, 177 on the card), and I always feel like that's a good evaluation of irons and comfortability with them. What impresses me is the shots I played into those. There isn't a shot window or shape I play that I even hesitate to try with these. Doesn't even occur to me, and someone else said something about it today. Says a lot to me that I don't think/doubt about any of that.

Solid soft with my TP5's and just brilliant in the turf. Big fan.

There isn't a shot window or shape I play that I even hesitate to try with these. Doesn't even occur to me, and someone else said something about it today. Says a lot to me that I don't think/doubt about any of that.
This is huge right here and says so much about how the iron is made and performs. I hit some knockdowns today against the wind that played out extremely well.

Had some interesting roll out on a couple on what were surprisingly dry greens. We had such a wet fall that I only had a handful of rounds with them before things got softer, and taking them 1 weak in conbibation with that I hadn't really seen much of that since those early rounds. I maintain my curiosity about how they'll work for me when it warms up.

Are you saying the roll out was longer than you expected? Otherwise your review seems great, as well as your golf game.

Back