Srixon ZX5 and ZX7 Irons Review

I got to hear myself described by a 21 yr old last night as '.. but like a fit middle aged.', so opinions vary. :LOL:

Why with a different shaft?
Nothing wrong with fit middle aged. Ha.

Was going to go different shaft because I found a loosie A wedge like yourself, only it is with the stock shaft and I went with Project X LZ shafts in my set. It would be the same shaft weight as my MD5 sand wedge.

I'm headed out in a bit with the ZX7's. We've had our first rain in a while and it is still sprinkling - its going to be a damp on the ground, 50-55* and breezy type of day. I'm headed to play a mountain top course, a nice challenge. Let's go, Memorial Day weekend golf!

Yes, then going to add new 56 and 60, make and model TBD. Always shopping, aren't we? :cool:
Just picked up a JAWS 54. Likely going ZX7 AW, 54 (bent to 55) and 60 MD4 (unless I upgrade to a JAWS 58). Still haven't convinced myself to pull the trigger on the ZX7 AW with a Modus 120 shaft tho, so I wait.

Yes, then going to add new 56 and 60, make and model TBD. Always shopping, aren't we? :cool:

Not to add fuel to the fire, but... (I have a 56S coming hopefully this week)

Attachments

• 14-60 - 2.jpeg
    14-60 - 2.jpeg
    81.3 KB · Views: 18
Got a set of Zx7s in yesterday. Was only able to hit them into my net so far.... Wow, these are Soft feeling!!!! Heading right to the range after work. If dispersion is good, I'll have to say goodbye to my i210s, which have been my favorite irons ever. Dispersion will be the BIG test for me switching, but I'm already addicted to the Zx7 feel.

Got out for 9 today (tried to play 18 but play was slow). The Zx7s were incredible. I'm a 12 handicap and I shot a 40 on the first outing with them. I got my set on the Bay and they came with Elevate 95s. This setup flew higher than my i210s with DG 120, but dispersion was on point. Ill give them a full 18 before I sell my i210, but they lived up to the hype. Super soft, really easy to hit and I was getting a nice high flight landing soft on the greens. Really glad I found a great price that forced my hand on trying them.

What a difference a couple days make on iron play. 9 for league tonight and hit 5/9 GIR.

I can't get enough of these ZX7's. Even when I'm not swinging the best. Love the feel off turf.

What a difference a couple days make on iron play. 9 for league tonight and hit 5/9 GIR.

Nice! I was 5/9 GIR in league last night as well. The other 4 were all 3-4 feet on the fringe. I like that I can work these. Hit little hold off fades on 2 par 3’s (8i and 7i). I love having the confidence to hit those shots.

Now my putting last night after a putting lesson in the morning? Disaster. 🤪 Maybe I should just putt with my irons.

Nice! I was 5/9 GIR in league last night as well. The other 4 were all 3-4 feet on the fringe. I like that I can work these. Hit little hold off fades on 2 par 3’s (8i and 7i). I love having the confidence to hit those shots.

Now my putting last night after a putting lesson in the morning? Disaster. 🤪 Maybe I should just putt with my irons.
The putting will come together at the right time.
It's great having confidence in the irons though.

Took the ZX7 out today in the muck. I was telling someone that there are times I honestly don't know which irons I would choose as #1. There's really nothing they can't do with the right ball in those kind of conditions for me. At some point I'll get to try my most recent setup in firmer conditions, I hope, but the last few weeks they've been downright dreamy when I take them out.

I can't think of another iron I've tried that's as comforting over the ball and still provides this kind of feel, feedback, and workability. It stands out. LIke the kind of thing that could make better players.

I can't think of another iron I've tried that's as comforting over the ball and still provides this kind of feel, feedback, and workability. It stands out. LIke the kind of thing that could make better players.
They provide enough feedback on off center hits to be able to let you know where you missed without losing tons of distance.

They really knocked it out of the park on the looks of these too.

I've been playing Z765's on Modus 120's this season. Today I have a set of Z785's on Recoil 110's inbound. Maybe next year there will be enough sets of used ZX7's for me to join this party.

I think the most I ever spent on a set of new-to-me irons was $425...but I'm a long-time Srixon iron user (started on the i-506's).

I've been playing Z765's on Modus 120's this season. Today I have a set of Z785's on Recoil 110's inbound. Maybe next year there will be enough sets of used ZX7's for me to join this party.

I think the most I ever spent on a set of new-to-me irons was $425...but I'm a long-time Srixon iron user (started on the i-506's).
For me personally I skipped the 785's just because the feel wasn't there with them. Much preferred the 765's over the 785's, the ZX7's are much better than both.
Both are great shaft pairings with these irons though.

Check out the bad-assery that showed up at my house last night @OldandStiff !! 🙌 👊 💥
EA43AEF3-8B56-4730-9084-C3017632C836.jpegEE8BB2BE-8705-46A9-821A-CF1110834EF1.jpeg169B702A-6FC2-4BF4-8269-C079FE345F2A.jpeg

They provide enough feedback on off center hits to be able to let you know where you missed without losing tons of distance.
This is so true. Having both a 7i in ZX7 and ZX5, the difference in feel I'd describe like this. Off center hits for the ZX7 give you more physical/sensory feedback whereas off center hits for the ZX5 gives more audible feedback. Both feel great when flushed. The ZX7 feels better/denser without giving up a ton of forgiveness. I still think they hit it out of the park with both the ZX7 and ZX5.

For me personally I skipped the 785's just because the feel wasn't there with them. Much preferred the 765's over the 785's, the ZX7's are much better than both.
Both are great shaft pairings with these irons though.

I've heard a little about that feel issue. I was really just looking for a chance to try the shafts and had already ordered a set of Recoils to put in my 765's. Then this set popped up at an appealing price and I thought this was a good way to audition the shafts and still have something of value once I'd figured out what I want to do.

I may still put Recoils in my old irons or maybe I'll sell both sets next season and get the newer irons with the proceeds. But at least this way I have two sets of functional irons instead of just swapping the heads around and making a mess.

Back