Srixon ZX5 and ZX7 Irons Review

Before I forget, a huge thank you goes out to @OldandStiff for shipping me this club. It looks even better in hand than I was expecting, and I am pretty stoked to put it in play. Very much anticipating the good feels of the ZX7 set in the AW spot! Thank you!

The 51-8 low bounce V-sole looks like it is plain ready to carve things up :love:

@PapaJohick looked pretty good up close today. Hit them well too.

haha besides a few at first, I hit the irons well yesterday. Hit a tasty little fade with the 5 iron from some trouble.

also hit one of the best gap wedge shots yet with them. 85 yards into the wind. Low chippy gap to about 3 feet. @OITW hit a good one too. Unfortunately he was away by about 3 inches haha. Both made birdies.

What golf thing am I doing today, you ask? I’m waiting for FedEx to deliver my ZX7 A wedge. And I’m sure they’ll use every minute of “by end of day.”

Gonna be a l-o-n-g day. Maybe I should go play 27 or so to make the time go by faster.

What golf thing am I doing today, you ask? I’m waiting for FedEx to deliver my ZX7 A wedge. And I’m sure they’ll use every minute of “by end of day.”

Gonna be a l-o-n-g day. Maybe I should go play 27 or so to make the time go by faster.
If you want it to arrive sooner, go play golf. My usual experience in situations like this is that by the time I get to the 2nd hole, I get a delivery notification. If I hadn't played that day and I wait, it usually arrives just about 15 minutes before sunset.

What wedge setup are folks going with if going with the ZX7 A wedge? I historically played a 52/56/60 setup. I've been thinking of bending the ZX7 AW 1° strong and going with a 54/58 or 54/60 setup. I suppose I could bend my MD5 54° a degree weak. How bendable are these cast specialty wedges though?

What wedge setup are folks going with if going with the ZX7 A wedge? I historically played a 52/56/60 setup. I've been thinking of bending the ZX7 AW 1° strong and going with a 54/58 or 54/60 setup. I suppose I could bend my MD5 54° a degree weak. How bendable are these cast specialty wedges though?

You should be able to bend most wedges a degree, either way with no trouble. The sky is the limit as far as what loft pairings you could go with here.

I am playing it at 51* for now, paired with my usual 54-58. I tend to prefer a 54-58 to 56-60, but that is completely individual preference.

IF my A wedge shows up today as promised, I will have 51-54-60 in the bag tomorrow. I'm thinking of going 51-56-60 soon though -- or maybe even 51-54-58, depending on which new wedges I decide to add.

My setup will be 51-56-60. I used to never go above 58 (and often didn't even go that high) but have a new friend in my RM4 60. Just waiting on the AW...

Why do you think they went with a specialized wedge for the A wedge and not just a normal ZX7 with 50 degrees of loft? edit 51 degrees.

Why do you think they went with a specialized wedge for the A wedge and not just a normal ZX7 with 50 degrees of loft? edit 51 degrees.
Was wondering the same, but I suspect it's because the player that will use the ZX7 may not be using their AW only for full shots. In other words, a lot of iron sets have the gap wedge essentially as a replacement to the PW (due to delofting creep aka loftjacking). Perhaps Srixon realized that ZX7 might want to use their gap wedge similar to a specialty wedge. That's just my speculation. However, nothing really to back that up.

Was wondering the same, but I suspect it's because the player that will use the ZX7 may not be using their AW only for full shots. In other words, a lot of iron sets have the gap wedge essentially as a replacement to the PW (due to delofting creep aka loftjacking). Perhaps Srixon realized that ZX7 might want to use their gap wedge similar to a specialty wedge. That's just my speculation. However, nothing really to back that up.

I think that’s a safe assumption. Put a decent grind and shape on it to allow full shots but make it versatile enough to do more with it.
I, much like many in here, have been a huge fan of it.

Yes, I think it's borrowed from the Z-Forged design to enhance versatility and playability.

Ended up going with the ZX7 AW and MD5 54° and 58°. Just have to figure out which, if any, I'll need to bend.

haha besides a few at first, I hit the irons well yesterday. Hit a tasty little fade with the 5 iron from some trouble.

also hit one of the best gap wedge shots yet with them. 85 yards into the wind. Low chippy gap to about 3 feet. @OITW hit a good one too. Unfortunately he was away by about 3 inches haha. Both made birdies.

No way bro my Cobra masters wedges were INSIDE YOU - i was left of you and you were worried about stepping on my line (see wanted the read) 😉 no one is wearing metal spikes putt that ****

Welp ... FedWhenever now says the delivery date is "pending," but it sure isn't today as originally scheduled. I just looked at the travel history and the club sat in two different Kansas towns for THREE days. Good grief.

Welp ... FedWhenever now says the delivery date is "pending," but it sure isn't today as originally scheduled. I just looked at the travel history and the club sat in two different Kansas towns for THREE days. Good grief.
Let me guess, it was in Pratt and Lenexa. Don't know why FedEx lets stuff sit there like that.

Let me guess, it was in Pratt and Lenexa. Don't know why FedEx lets stuff sit there like that.

Wichita and Olathe. From 3:04 pm Tuesday until Friday 6:34 am.

They'll move a couple without too much issue.

I bent my ZX7 AW 1 strong early on, but moved it back shortly after. I have my entire ZX7 1 or more weak, but I would play the AW at 51* regardless. That bounce and loft seem to work best with the set for me in terms of continuity. And that continuity is the reason I love it so much. I do not use it as a specialty. Outside of a longer bunker shot, it's a full shot club for me. And I shaft my irons the same through the AW, then to S200's in my 2 specialties. I want the same shaft, sole through the turf, and feel, with just a tad more of the blade-like precision and spin in that club. And that's what it gives me. I didn't really know that's what I wanted until that club. I'm sure it has it's versatility for those who use it in various ways, but I love it for it's continuity. I get into more of a variety of shot making with my 54 or 55 degree wedge, which to me, has a more verstaile bounce and sole profile. I've played my ZX7's with 54-58, 56-60, 55-60, etc, and it all works for your own preference. I chose those based more on their specifics for course conditions than anything else.

Last edited:
Back