Srixon ZX5 and ZX7 Irons Review

Really liked the ZX7 V1x combo out there! Was getting excellent spin on those mid iron shots. Even a couple from out of position. Greens were real firm today, but everything had good stop. 4i into a 220 par 3 had about 5' of runout and real good height on the way in. I like it. I'll definitely give it another go or two with the new balls.
I've found that I do get great stopping power with these and a Z Star. Generally a hop and stop with long irons of about 5-8 feet, shorter with mids and a fair bit of dancing with the 9 and PW.

Well my wish came true, I made 3 birdies in 9 holes but the other 6 were horrendous.
Then the next time out I made 3 birdies in 18 and then yesterday at a new course I had 2 in 18. No complaints there.
However, I seem to really be struggling with a general lack of focus. When I am focused then I play so well but then when my mind wanders onto bad golf thoughts I have hit some terrible shots.
It's not the clubs but I desperately need to stop having so much self doubt. It's actively working against me on all areas of my game except putting.
When I have confidence in the shot then these are glorious, particularly in the mid irons. The 6, 7 and 8 iron seem to really sing for me.
I'm going to go out today alone for a non competitive round and try sort my brain out.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Got fit for these back in November/December of last year and I haven't been able to re visit them as the UK we did have a lengthy 3rd Lockdown!! Still in the market and this thread has made me want to get re fitted for the ZX range as I have very good memories of the fit, now it's just trying to get find somewhere to hit them!

A little golf story, posted here because a shared interest in ZX7 irons was the instigator.

I was hitting balls on the back side (member only) of the range. The young PGA professional who I have taken a couple of swing lessons from this year saw me hitting and stopped over. He plays ZX7 irons with PX shafts and wanted to try mine with steelfiber. We were both hitting and talking about a recent competition. The challenge of recovery shots that need low trajectory with lots of shape came up, and off we went on an impromptu session on how to hit those. I like the shape shots when I play (so-so at it) and do it with hands and path adjustment. His approach is more grounded in setup and starting with the face more open or closed via grip. Something in that session helped me feel a change in face control I have needed to make in my recent swing changes. I am working to drop my arms and shallow the club more, but I tend to leave the face open and add loft. With a new feel based on these recovery shot exercises, there it was. I can finally close the hood and de-loft from that more shallowed shaft position. Ball flight is down, and control is up. Anecdote, but all because of two people who love ZX7 irons spontaneously coming together and having some fun. (y)

If they get the attention of the beer cart girl and prompt a conversation, then you're cooking with gas...

Set filled out - ZX7 6i showed up yesterday, AW today. Had them ship whatever grip loose as they ran out of MCC. Will get it to the range and chipping green today. The forged alliance is complete.

Attachments

• zx7aw - 3.jpeg
    zx7aw - 3.jpeg
    200 KB · Views: 21
  • zx7aw - 2.jpeg
    zx7aw - 2.jpeg
    86.6 KB · Views: 21
  • zx7aw - 1.jpeg
    zx7aw - 1.jpeg
    104.9 KB · Views: 21
Set filled out - ZX7 6i showed up yesterday, AW today. Had them ship whatever grip loose as they ran out of MCC. Will get it to the range and chipping green today. The forged alliance is complete.
Looks great. Let us know what you think after!

Looks great. Let us know what you think after!

Ok, back from a nice all-around session. Small bucket for full swings with the AW and a new G425 5H, then pitching green hitting 20-40 yard partial swings, then green side chipping. I've been pleasantly surprised at the RM-4 wedges, mostly using the 60H. Alternated with that and the AW for the 20-40 yard pitches.

Verdict is that it is everything I'd hoped for. Full swings were well behaved - turf interaction is the same as PW. It was flying about 105y which is about right for me at this point, and it was consistent other than the two fat(head) swings I put on it. Pitching was good, at that range (20-40y) mostly lower flight with some run out. I was able to open it up a bit as well. Certainly on the trustworthy side of things.

Chipping was where I had the highest expectations. As a kid, then young adult, PW around the green was my main scoring club. Not a lot of 3-putts when a chip results in a tap-in. So far I haven't found a club that provided a "time machine" experience - well, until today. Did my usual chipping practice, 5 balls tossed off the green in varying distances and lies. Figuring the 51* loft, I didn't go more than about 10 yards off the green as the green is small and it isn't really a bump-and-run configuration. First set felt good, getting a feel for how it comes off the face. While I like the feel of the PW, the stronger loft makes it a bit delicate for shorter work. The AW is right about what I want, and the second set saw one of the shots dropping in the cup. Next set as well from the other direction.

In short, if you love the ZX7 short irons I think you'll love the AW. Way better for me than the CBX2 50* I ordered, and similar feel to the RM-4s.

Oh, and the G425 5H is pretty sweet as well. I think my ego has finally admitted it is a more consistent choice than a 5i. That club was pretty hard to screw up with.

Ok, back from a nice all-around session. Small bucket for full swings with the AW and a new G425 5H, then pitching green hitting 20-40 yard partial swings, then green side chipping. I've been pleasantly surprised at the RM-4 wedges, mostly using the 60H. Alternated with that and the AW for the 20-40 yard pitches.

Verdict is that it is everything I'd hoped for. Full swings were well behaved - turf interaction is the same as PW. It was flying about 105y which is about right for me at this point, and it was consistent other than the two fat(head) swings I put on it. Pitching was good, at that range (20-40y) mostly lower flight with some run out. I was able to open it up a bit as well. Certainly on the trustworthy side of things.

Chipping was where I had the highest expectations. As a kid, then young adult, PW around the green was my main scoring club. Not a lot of 3-putts when a chip results in a tap-in. So far I haven't found a club that provided a "time machine" experience - well, until today. Did my usual chipping practice, 5 balls tossed off the green in varying distances and lies. Figuring the 51* loft, I didn't go more than about 10 yards off the green as the green is small and it isn't really a bump-and-run configuration. First set felt good, getting a feel for how it comes off the face. While I like the feel of the PW, the stronger loft makes it a bit delicate for shorter work. The AW is right about what I want, and the second set saw one of the shots dropping in the cup. Next set as well from the other direction.

In short, if you love the ZX7 short irons I think you'll love the AW. Way better for me than the CBX2 50* I ordered, and similar feel to the RM-4s.

Oh, and the G425 5H is pretty sweet as well. I think my ego has finally admitted it is a more consistent choice than a 5i. That club was pretty hard to screw up with.
I wish the AW was available here in the UK. Something that I wasn't really expecting so much but I really like the shape of the ZX7 short irons at address.
So yesterday I went to top tracer and hit 200 balls and worked some stuff out. Was really good to get there and hit shots with feedback so I can get a bit dialed in.
In short I realised that my grip had shifted to be a bit strong and I was swinging too fast.
Hit some really beautiful shots with these and I was especially pleased with the distance consistency across the face. Coming from blades it really is amazing how much of a difference that makes.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

@BigDill, @MagicSpell, and I worked hard to win a set of Recoils at the Distance Bash last year. Finally getting to put the 110 Protos to good use, pairing them up with the ZX5s. Can’t wait to test these out tomorrow afternoon, they look fantastic.722307D1-55C9-4347-A4C4-BAE8A4004FAF.jpeg

Well my journey for new irons ended with the zx7.
Handicap has been in the 6 to 10 range.
Went from z565 that I liked but think the nspro 980gh shafts were a bit weak for me and I was long bit not super accurate with them.

Made mistake last year buying Cobra forged Tec which I did not get on with. Didn't like the offset and way too little spin especially at my new job e club which has firm fast small greens where going long is bad and running through a green was happening too often with the Cobra.

Due to a great trade in offer I gave the Wilson D7 forged a try and 1 round told me they were basically a nicer looking forged Tec but same issues.

So I decided to return them and got the zx7. Before using them the z585 went on sale for 600$ so I traded in another set of irons and got those too.
Used them for about 10 rounds and was starting to play well with them as my swing rust came off after a 6 month winter lay off.

Decided my swing was finally getting good enough to put the zx7 in the bag.

Played them today for the 1st time. 6 thru PW with 5 iron from z585.
Tied my low round of the year and had 4 birdie putts inside 8 feet. Made none of course. Still shot 79.
Was able to hit some low puches and some high shots over a tree as well as a cut and draw and felt they were nearly as forgiving as the z585 but with much better feel.

So glad I got them

Sent from my SM-N986W using Tapatalk

Gonna put them in the bag this Wednesday. Ball striking is good. Index down to 7.1.

Can't wait.

in case anyone is on the fence about adding the ZX7 AW, here's how it pairs with the PW (and how it looks after a pleasant pitching sessions)

Attachments

• wedges - 7.jpeg
    wedges - 7.jpeg
    242.2 KB · Views: 31
  • wedges - 1.jpeg
    wedges - 1.jpeg
    103.5 KB · Views: 32
  • wedges - 6.jpeg
    wedges - 6.jpeg
    81.6 KB · Views: 31
  • wedges - 5.jpeg
    wedges - 5.jpeg
    74.3 KB · Views: 29
  • wedges - 4.jpeg
    wedges - 4.jpeg
    75.3 KB · Views: 29
  • wedges - 3.jpeg
    wedges - 3.jpeg
    78.4 KB · Views: 29
in case anyone is on the fence about adding the ZX7 AW, here's how it pairs with the PW (and how it looks after a pleasant pitching sessions)
I love the heel notch so much for some of the lies here.

So everyone's sacked out and I'm catching up on the recent TXG Q&A, and besides @McLovin getting a question in there live!, heard something interesting. At around the 21:20 mark Ian says playing the new ProV1x has helped him make a little irons change. That he's 'gone back to the Srixon irons (ZX7)', and the combination of a little stronger lofts with the higher spin ball (ProV1x) gives him a really nice balance....

Well... welcome to the party Ian! :p

Last edited:
GlobalGolf got a trial set of the ZX7s in for lefties so I snagged them right away. Looking forward to trying them out on the course sometime next week. Definitely plan on keeping them if I like them

Let's talk about these clubs out of the rough.

I think they're kind of brilliant. The rough here is in its 'I'll take your hole ALL the way off the rails if you give me half a chance' season now, and I've rather enjoyed digging balls out with these clubs. The soles can get down and through anything pretty well, and the top line not being real thin offers a little help if the fluffy lie or false bottom bermuda gets ya a bit. There's a certain confidence with it. Even punching out.

Thoughts?

Let's talk about these clubs out of the rough.

I think they're kind of brilliant. The rough here is in its 'I'll take your hole ALL the way off the rails if you give me half a chance' season now, and I've rather enjoyed digging balls out with these clubs. The soles can get down and through anything pretty well, and the top line not being real thin offers a little help if the fluffy lie or false bottom bermuda gets ya a bit. There's a certain confidence with it. Even punching out.

Thoughts?

Ditto?

Maybe could not have written better myself except for applies equally well the grass we have up here in the Northeast vs. down south.

The ZX7 AW is a little bit good. Just a smidge.

Ditto?

Maybe could not have written better myself except for applies equally well the grass we have up here in the Northeast vs. down south.
It really makes me think. I'm not much for chipping/pitching with non-wedges, but I think if I still lived in the Midwest, with that turf, I just might with these. Everything sticks here, but I picture silky runners out of that wide blade grass there. And just gliding across it on approach to still be able to shape the ball. It's kinda dreamy. Lol. Here I just don't seem to have to do much different to get it out with the usual juice on it, which is probably about the best compliment I could give a club.

It really makes me think. I'm not much for chipping/pitching with non-wedges, but I think if I still lived in the Midwest, with that turf, I just might with these. Everything sticks here, but I picture silky runners out of that wide blade grass there. And just gliding across it on approach to still be able to shape the ball. It's kinda dreamy. Lol. Here I just don't seem to have to do much different to get it out with the usual juice on it, which is probably about the best compliment I could give a club.

It's like auto-tune for your iron game. And while its not often, there have been a few 9i silky runners on slinky mountain layouts.

Back