Srixon ZX5 and ZX7 Irons Review

So I think part of the reason I've been playing these more lately, besides being shafted to match some of my other stuff now, is the long irons. I've mentioned recently that they've been great paired with the new V1x for me, but they are just lovely to hit.

Went to the range to straighten myself out after the round, and it doesn't take much with them. Lol The feel and feedback are great. When I find myself choosing to play them over my TCB's part of it is the feel. I combo an Apex Pro 4i with my Pro/TCB's, and the flight is good, I just don't enjoy the sound and feel nearly as much. It's just really hard to beat these in the long irons for me right now. They're fantastic.

what shafts are in there now?

I am been considering getting some recoil protos to put in mine..

what shafts are in there now?

I am been considering getting some recoil protos to put in mine..
I put IO 6.5's in them a little while back to match all my Apex sets. Figured it was the only way I'd put them in play some, and I'm glad I did it.

Have you tried Recoil Protos before?

So I think part of the reason I've been playing these more lately, besides being shafted to match some of my other stuff now, is the long irons. I've mentioned recently that they've been great paired with the new V1x for me, but they are just lovely to hit.

Went to the range to straighten myself out after the round, and it doesn't take much with them. Lol The feel and feedback are great. When I find myself choosing to play them over my TCB's part of it is the feel. I combo an Apex Pro 4i with my Pro/TCB's, and the flight is good, I just don't enjoy the sound and feel nearly as much. It's just really hard to beat these in the long irons for me right now. They're fantastic.

So .... still 3rd in your iron sets ranking? :D And, agree ... the V1x is the perfect ball for the ZX irons!

So .... still 3rd in your iron sets ranking? :D And, agree ... the V1x is the perfect ball for the ZX irons!
Umm..

I will update that. :LOL:

Omg these are just so good.
All I need is a smooth swing to get effortless accurate distance.
The 9 iron and PW in particular have me throwing darts at the pin.
I am still just so shocked at how good these are from low in the face. I am a bit of a sweeper and I find these are so forgiving from thinner strikes. You know you've caught it a bit thin but then you look up and see the ball going exactly where you wanted it to with the same distance and good spin. It's very odd after coming from my previous set.
Quite tempted to play a round with the 5 iron being the biggest club in the bag and see how I get on. Haven't had enough opportunity to play the bigger irons much.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

After my last round last week, I was ready to go all-hybrids. Or maybe just driver, putter. Just could not get consistent contact with the irons other than AW, GIR was I think 3. Was finally able to spend some quality time with my coach today. I told him my problem was sometimes fat, sometimes thin, sometimes flush - contact height issues. My first lesson with him put me on the path to swing righteousness but we all know that road is a rocky one.

After watching a half dozen balls, he gave me a small move change. He thought I was bringing it back too far inside, and my hands were too low. That made it tough to get through the ball. I harkened back to my days of youth, when the initial move was, "drag the club straight back". I didn't drag it, but thought about more straight back, then dropping the hands into the swing at the top. It felt to me like I was doing a loopdy-loop of up-back-across-down. Cell phone video showed that actually I was doing essentially a single swing plane, just felt like I was dropping down (previously I was pushing up).

Took about 10 shots to get a feel for the different move. Then the 7i was flying straight and high out to the 150 flag. Misses lost about 10 yards instead of 20 or 30. Then the second swing thought was "cover the ball" on the way down with my torso. That really helped as well. When I did the two move changes and relaxed at the top, it was golden. 6i was sweet. Couldn't ask for more from the ZX7s

Now my driver is actually a consistent club, but not that long (average about 225). The coach said to use the same swing thought with that, and it should increase the yardage, especially given how far I was hitting the 7i. I pulled driver and hit away. Our range is hard to tell distance beyond about 160 yards as it slope steeply uphill. But it felt great. "That was roasted" was the response from behind me. Put the driver back and went back to grooving the 7i.

Love these clubs - they allow you to get away with some nonsense, but really reward you when you put a good swing on the ball. Winning :)

During league last night I let the guy I was playing with hit a couple shots with the ZX7's. He hit 2 towering 7 iron approach shots that hit and just stopped dead within a foot of the ball mark.
"I don't need to hit anymore, but I want a set. Those feel amazing" was what he said.

It is always fun when someone grabs them for a swing and you get that positive of a reaction. Srixon really did this series of irons correctly and will be really hard to beat these in the future.

During league last night I let the guy I was playing with hit a couple shots with the ZX7's. He hit 2 towering 7 iron approach shots that hit and just stopped dead within a foot of the ball mark.
"I don't need to hit anymore, but I want a set. Those feel amazing" was what he said.

It is always fun when someone grabs them for a swing and you get that positive of a reaction. Srixon really did this series of irons correctly and will be really hard to beat these in the future.
I've always read that these are low spin but I'm getting plenty of backspin.
Check this ripper with the 9 iron.
Any tour ball is giving backspin and regular balls I'm getting drop and stops.
The only time I've got some roll out on the green is 5 or 6 iron from way out.
I wonder how much that has to do with V sole on mats? Through grass I'm getting great control and consistency with a surprising amount of forgiveness from off centre strikes.
8d155669cc124aeb27012eef3768ed51.jpg

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Think I'm keeping the ZX7 4i in the bag for now, even with the 5-A TCB's. It's not quite as long as my Apex Pro 4, but I prefer it in a whole bunch of other ways. Used it off the tee a couple times today and it's plenty long enough for that if I need it, and I just love that thing to death off the fairway.

Think I'm keeping the ZX7 4i in the bag for now, even with the 5-A TCB's. It's not quite as long as my Apex Pro 4, but I prefer it in a whole bunch of other ways. Used it off the tee a couple times today and it's plenty long enough for that if I need it, and I just love that thing to death off the fairway.

In my switch from ZX7 to ZX5, the only thing I really miss is the ZX7 4i -- that club is money. I've got a ZX5 4i sitting in the TGW shopping cart waiting for me to pull the trigger.

Good to see you've moved the ZX7 to the No. 2 spot in your top 3 iron sets ranking! (y):D💪

In my switch from ZX7 to ZX5, the only thing I really miss is the ZX7 4i -- that club is money. I've got a ZX5 4i sitting in the TGW shopping cart waiting for me to pull the trigger.

Good to see you've move the ZX7 to the No. 2 spot in your top 3 iron sets rankiing! (y):D💪
I think the ZX5 4i is a pretty nice club. My buddy plays it and I like hitting it. They blend so well that over the ball on the right day I might not even notice at first. The ZX5 in general are pretty great. The soles make a ton of difference for me on those.

I think the ZX5 4i is a pretty nice club. My buddy plays it and I like hitting it. They blend so well that over the ball on the right day I might not even notice at first. The ZX5 in general are pretty great. The soles make a ton of difference for me on those.

Welp ... just pulled the trigger. FWIW, I was stunned at how soft the ZX5s felt. I truly was expecting them to be vastly different from the ZX7s and that would be a deal-breaker in making the switch. But they were incredibly similar feeling rather than different -- and they helped me hit the windows I wanted to hit. Srixon simply knocked it out of the park with the ZX line.

Anyone playing the AW in the ZX5's? Seriously thinking about picking one up but I'm not sure I'd gain anything over my CBX2 48*

Anyone playing the AW in the ZX5's? Seriously thinking about picking one up but I'm not sure I'd gain anything over my CBX2 48*
I am playing the ZX5 AW. I was using a CBX2 in that spot. They are very similar in performance. That being said, the AW is one of my favorite clubs to hit. It is very consistent and is easy to hit.

I am playing the ZX5 AW. I was using a CBX2 in that spot. They are very similar in performance. That being said, the AW is one of my favorite clubs to hit. It is very consistent and is easy to hit.

Did you notice any gapping issues? 6* seems like a lot between clubs

I weakened my ZX5’s 1* so it is a 5* gap. My wedges go 45/50/55/60. Seems to work for me.

Good to see you've moved the ZX7 to the No. 2 spot in your top 3 iron sets ranking! (y):D💪
I thought the same thing about the ZX7 4i!! Hit two par 3s in regulation from 210 out. Both had pretty good stopping power and were around 20ft

Welp ... just pulled the trigger. FWIW, I was stunned at how soft the ZX5s felt. I truly was expecting them to be vastly different from the ZX7s and that would be a deal-breaker in making the switch. But they were incredibly similar feeling rather than different -- and they helped me hit the windows I wanted to hit. Srixon simply knocked it out of the park with the ZX line.
I build my set 5-P in ZX7 and the 4 in ZX5. The top line is exactly the same on both and I appreciate the ability of the ZX5 to get the ball in the air a bit more with some more mass low (CG) on that long iron. Great 200y club for me.

The ZeXies didn't get a lot of love during the short week, so I'm hoping the wife wants to go this weekend. I have no reason to miss them, but I kinda do. Need to update some feels!

It's a damn good thing I don't have any money to burn because I just can't quit this thread and every time I jump in here it makes me want to try out a ZX4/5 combo set in the worst way. I know most in here are 7 guys but it seems most like the 5 as well and I'd just love to see what that kind of forgiveness could do for me. Nothing against my PTX Pros but what I fear is that I just suck at golf and need that forgiveness 🤣

Back