Srixon ZX5 and ZX7 Irons Review

The ZeXies didn't get a lot of love during the short week, so I'm hoping the wife wants to go this weekend. I have no reason to miss them, but I kinda do. Need to update some feels!

She's in!!

____Milk_Tray__Sweetboyz_Ent__aka_Milk_Ross_Da_Boss._sexy_time_400x400.jpg

20210711_084126.jpg
I'm excited. We got a storm last night and it's a little wet here.

Last edited:
These clubs love the tifway bermuda here, and whatever type the clumpy bermuda rough is. Just go through it like a dream. The shots I've pulled off with these clubs from out of position are unreal, and aside from the blade section of the room, ARE the best feeling clubs I own. Just fantastic.

I also scored out of my mind with them today, and dominated the the very tricky par 3's approaches at the course, in breezy and firm conditions. Pair beautifully with the V1x and do just about everything I could ask.

I don't know that I'd ever sell these clubs.

ZX7's continue to perform well for me. Even in windy 15-20 conditions today I never had any shots ballooning on me. Turf interaction is great whether on the zoysia fairways or fescue rough.

Have I mentioned how much I love the ZX5 5-iron? Well, I do.

We have a 175-yard par 3 that I have danced a 5-iron shot around the cup with the last three rounds. Today's pitch mark was about five inches in front of the hole. Puttmaster Jr. was yelling at it the entire flight because it never left the flag from tee to green.

Love that club. :love:

Have I mentioned how much I love the ZX5 5-iron? Well, I do.

We have a 175-yard par 3 that I have danced a 5-iron shot around the cup with the last three rounds. Today's pitch mark was about five inches in front of the hole. Puttmaster Jr. was yelling at it the entire flight because it never left the flag from tee to green.

Love that club. :love:
I have thought about just ordering a 5iron just for the forgiveness. Glad you're getting along with it so well.

I have thought about just ordering a 5iron just for the forgiveness. Glad you're getting along with it so well.

Thanks -- go for it. I am loving the 5i so much that I ordered a 4i last week.

Went for a fitting yesterday. I wasn't looking to change anything if I didn't need to, just more or less looking for conformation that my self fit was good. Lucky for me it was. We dialed in driver pretty quick. Just a couple of hosel adjustments and was good. My swing speed and distance is down because I was focusing on swing and contact. I’ve learned from past fittings that just bashing ball after ball as hard as you can doesn’t lead to very good results. I've been working on some tips @KY Golfer gave me and I've went from hitting a fade/slice to a draw/hook.

I've never been able to hit a draw so I'm having a hard time trusting it. My fitter noticed that too. He's the first fitter that has ever discussed club length with me and took some measurements. I had adjusted my club lengths to -1/2" and he said that's what he would've expected to fit me to. He liked the shafts and shaft weight I'm playing. He had me hit some and watched the ball flight and TrackMan. Sure enough, weak pull hooks off the toe. He checked my lie angles. 7i was 63.5. I normally play 61. He adjusted it to 61.5 and all of a sudden I’m hitting nice tight draws off the center of the face. He went ahead and adjusted the rest of my clubs. I think the results speak for themselves. I won’t be able to play for a couple weeks but I’m excited to see if this translates to the course.

Before adjustment
A3E9DE5B-8618-4E0F-AD2C-79E482D1BE6E.jpeg
After adjustment
19F210DB-6ADF-4018-8BA1-AD9A546152F1.jpeg

Ramble:

What a fun day it was and the knee is getting stronger. Not 100% yet but was able to manage my way through 18 holes and it was awesome! The company was even better! I pretty sure we both needed some golf in our lives.

I changed my bag out from the PTx Pros and was odd not looking at a full dark set in the bag. Man did they look good in there though. Got to the range and this is the first time I've actually hit off grass since the injury last July...man did it feel good!

Thanks again Srixon and THP for allowing me the opportunity to game these irons!

I noticed right away that my sequencing was off and had some fat shots that mats can hide really well. Didn't take long but corrected it a touch and felt good.

Clubs:

I probably should have just played the 2I off the tee so I could use these clubs more. We were playing the blues with the group we were paired up with. Most of the round was Driver and then very few full shots. I really enjoy the touch aspect of 140 and in and this is where I had some difficulty.

It wasn't just with these clubs, it was all my wedges. Those touch shots are the first to go after so much time off and couldn't get confident in how far the clubs would go. I didn't care as I was out there playing golf!

The feel off these clubs is addicting and can get you excited to hit them again, and again, and again.

Only hit three of them on full shots through the round. The 5 - 7 - 9

The first was the 5. I was off the fairway and in not too bad a position on a par 5. Not a clean shot and a distance I usually pull the driving iron for the approach. Kinda thought smart knowing I don't have the 2I in the rough swing back yet so grabbed the 5I thinking I would just lay up. Put a good move on it and caught it well and towards the green it went cutting off just a touch. We didn't see it and started looking to the right in the crap and short all over. A guy in the other group asked what I was playing and told him. He laughed and said it's right here on the green! Holy Cow! First Birdie!

The second was the 5 again. This time because I topped my drive on a par 4 and it went to the fairway just in front of the front tees! Woohoo! The group ahead was slow and figured instead of hitting the driving iron I would lay up with the 5.
FOUR!!!!
Holy Cow again!!! It landed in the first cut just to the left of the green and thankfully hopped once and laid to rest there instead of trundling up closer to them!

The third...yep you guessed it was the 5. Okay, a little closer on a par 5 approach and in good position just off the fairway in first cut. Too close for the 2I and we both said, hey it's about the same as the last two 5I's. Let's see if it holds true again. Made good contact and it got up to my normal flight and a little draw...oh crap it's going over! We looked a little bit and then found it just off the green short. Eyes are a little deceiving that far out. The 5 iron has now solidified it's number of when to be pulled.

The 9I was more touch shots and it had the same effect of the 5I as being longer. No big deal just need more time with them. I did hit a full shot on a par three, but fatted it and ended up short in the bunker. I was still happy with the shot as there was water in front and could have been worse!

The 7I was on a longer par 3. A shot I normally pull the 6I and with what has happened throughout the day I grabbed the 7. Man did it feel odd purposely setting up with the 7 on this one. No way I'm getting there but there was no trouble in front so why not. Sure enough, perfect distance but I pushed it a touch to the right of the green.

I'm really enjoying these clubs and the next time out I will probably use less driver so I can hit more of these beauties! At least now I know what I was seeing on the range, even off mats...is going to travel to the course distance wise.

Sorry for the ramble, they are good and it made me feel a little younger yesterday!

Last edited:
These clubs love the tifway bermuda here, and whatever type the clumpy bermuda rough is. Just go through it like a dream. The shots I've pulled off with these clubs from out of position are unreal, and aside from the blade section of the room, ARE the best feeling clubs I own. Just fantastic.

I also scored out of my mind with them today, and dominated the the very tricky par 3's approaches at the course, in breezy and firm conditions. Pair beautifully with the V1x and do just about everything I could ask.

Well if you want to give them away instead, I will happily send you my address so that I can see how much better than my Z785/Z-Forged combo set they are :ROFLMAO:

Well if you want to give them away instead, I will happily send you my address so that I can see how much better than my Z785/Z-Forged combo set they are :ROFLMAO:

Ramble:

What a fun day it was and the knee is getting stronger. Not 100% yet but was able to manage my way through 18 holes and it was awesome! The company was even better! I pretty sure we both needed some golf in our lives.

I changed my bag out from the PTx Pros and was odd not looking at a full dark set in the bag. Man did they look good in there though. Got to the range and this is the first time I've actually hit off grass since the injury last July...man did it feel good!

Thanks again Srixon and THP for allowing me the opportunity to game these irons!

I noticed right away that my sequencing was off and had some fat shots that mats can hide really well. Didn't take long but corrected it a touch and felt good. Went and putted with the new Cobra putter...which will be going to the marketplace very soon and talked about in another thread. This putter cost me several strokes later in the round and just couldn't get the ball to the hole no matter how hard I tried.

Clubs:

I probably should have just played the 2I off the tee so I could use these clubs more. We were playing the blues with the group we were paired up with. Most of the round was Driver and then very few full shots. I really enjoy the touch aspect of 140 and in and this is where I had some difficulty.

It wasn't just with these clubs, it was all my wedges. Those touch shots are the first to go after so much time off and couldn't get confident in how far the clubs would go. I didn't care as I was out there playing golf!

The feel off these clubs is addicting and can get you excited to hit them again, and again, and again.

Only hit three of them on full shots through the round. The 5 - 7 - 9

The first was the 5. I was off the fairway and in not too bad a position on a par 5. Not a clean shot and a distance I usually pull the driving iron for the approach. Kinda thought smart knowing I don't have the 2I in the rough swing back yet so grabbed the 5I thinking I would just lay up. Put a good move on it and caught it well and towards the green it went cutting off just a touch. We didn't see it and started looking to the right in the crap and short all over. A guy in the other group asked what I was playing and told him. He laughed and said it's right here on the green! Holy Cow! First Birdie!

The second was the 5 again. This time because I topped my drive on a par 4 and it went to the fairway just in front of the front tees! Woohoo! The group ahead was slow and figured instead of hitting the driving iron I would lay up with the 5.
FOUR!!!!
Holy Cow again!!! It landed in the first cut just to the left of the green and thankfully hopped once and laid to rest there instead of trundling up closer to them!

The third...yep you guessed it was the 5. Okay, a little closer on a par 5 approach and in good position just off the fairway in first cut. Too close for the 2I and we both said, hey it's about the same as the last two 5I's. Let's see if it holds true again. Made good contact and it got up to my normal flight and a little draw...oh crap it's going over! We looked a little bit and then found it just off the green short. Eyes are a little deceiving that far out. The 5 iron has now solidified it's number of when to be pulled.

The 9I was more touch shots and it had the same effect of the 5I as being longer. No big deal just need more time with them. I did hit a full shot on a par three, but fatted it and ended up short in the bunker. I was still happy with the shot as there was water in front and could have been worse!

The 7I was on a longer par 3. A shot I normally pull the 6I and with what has happened throughout the day I grabbed the 7. Man did it feel odd purposely setting up with the 7 on this one. No way I'm getting there but there was no trouble in front so why not. Sure enough, perfect distance but I pushed it a touch to the right of the green.

I'm really enjoying these clubs and the next time out I will probably use less driver so I can hit more of these beauties! At least now I know what I was seeing on the range, even off mats...is going to travel to the course distance wise.

Sorry for the ramble, they are good and it made me feel a little younger yesterday!

@J4U Im glad you finally got a chance to enjoy this prize.

These are my fav irons in a long time.. I maybe wish I had gone with a different shaft and I may still but I really enjoy these.

These are my fav irons in a long time.. I maybe wish I had gone with a different shaft and I may still but I really enjoy these.
I'm not surprised. They're just so good. I didn't want to love them at first, but the feel and feedback did stick out to me from round one, and the rest just took some time or tweaking.

I've converted a few buddies, and they are starting to show up in more and more bags here despite Srixon having no real retail/fitting presence in the area. And some of the players' bags I'm now seeing them in is noteworthy. It's pretty awesome to see.

I was not going to play these today, but talking about them now is making that harder. :LOL:

@J4U Im glad you finally got a chance to enjoy this prize.
Indeed! Took even longer than I thought to get back out there, but so glad THP and Srixon were so generous and I got the opportunity!

Haha First things first - have to figure out where we're playing. Were supposed to out already, but they're doing some unannounced work on the greens and closed the course we were going to play for the morning. Mondays are tough times here without that adding to it, so we're scrambling. I will find a way though. #MondaysFor @Gman79 . :p

Waiting to see availability on one that I've never played the ZX7's at so that could be fun.

Haha First things first - have to figure out where we're playing. Were supposed to out already, but they're doing some unannounced work on the greens and closed the course we were going to play for the morning. Mondays are tough times here without that adding to it, so we're scrambling. I will find a way though. #MondaysFor @Gman79 . :p

Waiting to see availability on one that I've never played the ZX7's at so that could be fun.
The ZX7's travel well and play anywhere, just find a place to play. :golf2:

I hope you have better luck than I have, 12 weeks waiting so far but mine were ZX5s. Don't want to get you down but just prepare for the wait

You had me scared thinking I would be lucky to see them by the end of July so it was a nice surprise to get the phone call today.

Things must be getting back to normal since it only took about 4 weeks for my ZX7s to come in.

20210715_104108.jpg

This is why I love these long irons. They're phenomenal out of the the clumpy bermuda rough, but worth great for me off super tight fairways too. Strong flight into a breeze, great feel.. It's absolutely addicting hitting these on course.

Last edited:
I've went from hitting a fade/slice to a draw/hook.

I've never been able to hit a draw so I'm having a hard time trusting it.

This is an awesome development! Your inner beast mode is about to be engaged.

I so glad that head cover has a great home. I was beginning to be upset with myself for not taking it home with me.

I really did feel bad for taking the only one. I got over it quick though :ROFLMAO:

Back