Srixon ZX5 and ZX7 Irons Review

This is an awesome development! Your inner beast mode is about to be engaged.

I hope so. I can't really hit it much shorter

View attachment 9016850

This is why I love these long irons. They're phenomenal out of the the clumpy bermuda rough, but worth great for me off super tight fairways too. Strong flight into a breeze, great feel.. It's absolutely addicting hitting these on course.

I've been watching, as that's mostly all I could do for so long.

Dude...Dude...Dude, where's my ball?!

These irons are quite frankly, unbelievable. I have to give you a virtual high five in the long irons. Dude!

Okay Spicoly...simmer down. Seriously though I have been amazed. I went to the range tonight and decided to hit the grass area as to eliminate the mat forgiveness.

Oh my word! I felt like a plus handicap with these beauties. The last round had me curious and I tested every club. It held true across the board. I seriously think I've gained at least half a club if not more! Could it be the component's alone or the shaft combo...I don't know. I've always been a KBS TourV guy but this has me thinking seriously with the Nippon combo. Do I switch out to the TourV125 that are in my JB15 irons that I love...and see if they swoon me like they did? Time will tell, but right now I'm smitten and yet still wanting to play all three sets as they are. These bad boys have the wheel!

The turf interaction, the feel, the power distribution to the ball...my Lord it was glorious!

Tomorrow is another round and will see if the glamor continues. I'm behind you guys in rounds, but not admiration.

Last edited:
Has anyone had the previous z585 before you bought the Z x models just curious the difference

These 7's are just plain crazy fun to play! Second round in the books today and they were saving my butt on the front.

Couldn't get the driver to behave so they had to come through. Too many penalties off the tee box.

Still haven't gotten comfortable with the increased distance, but it is for sure there! So far they haven't wavered and was able to hit more of them today.

Wasn't too sure on a par three. Pin was tucked up front and maybe 5 yards of landing space after a water hazard in front of green. Club head wind at least and the distance was usually a strong 8I.

I pulled the 9 and smoothed it out thinking how the other clubs performed. Sure enough...middle of the green. Bad part is I also found out how they can spin back...haha. Came all the way back 4 feet off the green.

Love pulling these clubs...all of them. The more I get comfortable with the distance/spin and better my knee gets, the lower scores will happen!

Has anyone had the previous z585 before you bought the Z x models just curious the difference
I did not have the 85’s but I had the 565’s. Besides the new ones look much better I get a little better forgiveness with new irons.
these with the modus 105 are a perfect match for me

I did not have the 85’s but I had the 565’s. Besides the new ones look much better I get a little better forgiveness with new irons.
these with the modus 105 are a perfect match for me

I bought the Z565/765’s when they first came out 5 years ago and still play them as my back up set when we are at our condo in Florida. I agree that they ZX5 & 7’s look better and are more forgiving. For me the ZX5’s are longer that the 565’s as well but part of that could be I’m now playing S300 AMT vs. the X100 AMT’s in my old set.

The reason I asked is that I'm just getting back into the game due to my son playing now. I'm still playing my Ping Zing which I used to flush all the time. Not so much right now getting back into the game. Used to be a 16 handicap with terrible putting so some people know how that goes. I'm sure the grooves are worn out, since I took a look at my 5-iron and notice where Mark dead center, so it's time to get something a little newer. Just not sure I want to spend the coin on brand new clubs, so was looking at the 585 for a possible replacement. Will be fitted probably for the Z X's but I'm assuming the 585 would be very similar. I'm sure I will be able to find a closet set in like new condition for half the price vs the ZX. On another note I used to work the ball lot, hitting it low Fades draws whatever it took and it was so much fun I'm hoping I can still do this. How are the 585 for workability? And will they be forgiving enough for a high handicapper as of now

Forgot about a shot that surprised me with the holding power of the 7's.

Another par3 and again a shot that was probably a 7I. I pulled the 8 and for those that have seen my flight know, if it's below 100' I have miss hit it more than likely.

This one was more like 50' and tracking true to distance coming in hot. I thought for sure it was going off the back into the trees as the pin was only 5yards off the back.

Nope...it landed took a weird pop jump a touch left. Couldn't see until we got up there but sure enough it had come to rest just off in some fluffy stuff. Still able to get a putter on it and save par. Could still smell the burnering cover from the amount of friction it had to create...haha.

5I still holds it own into the wind as well. Long approach on a par 5 probably would have gotten there if I hadn't forgotten about the wind. It did it's job but I failed to think. Just short and then nestled it close. I then failed my putter on a 4 footer for another birdie that flew away.

You give these irons something to work with and they seem more than happy to do their best to help you out.

Like a few others who responded, I had the 565s before the ZX5s. The ZX5s look better and are a touch longer. The 565s felt a touch better softer at impact. I like the Modus 105 a lot more than the GH980.

I could have played the 565s for years and been happy. The ZX5 were just SO good looking though.

Really good day with the irons today, 12/18 GIR so felt good about the results.
5 irons was dialed in to the 170 range today on the long par 3's.

Just hit the ZX5 at the LGS...standard L/L/L isn't ideal for me but man those things are nniicccceeee.

Seems like most people purchased the 565 and just skip the 585

Having a bit of a crisis of faith as I continue to work on the swing. Been striping the 4 and 5 hybrid and the wedges are solid. Irons have been inconsistent and the danger of forums is reading and thinking that the neighbor has a much greener yard. Last night I had worked out a different bag setup with a couple of cpo Callaway Apex’s and more hybrids. But the range ends up being the best reality check at this point, so off in a light summer drizzle to hit a few clubs - 5H, 8i and PW. Most of my short game work is AW and 60 so hadn’t hit the PW in awhile.

Been working on taking it back outside then dropping inside. Essentially if I can keep relaxed on top and cover with my chest on the way down, things are good. Maybe it was the warm light rain but the bad strikes could be counted on one hand, with one fat and the others thin. Cycled between the clubs, PW was flying high and about 120y on a good strike, which is where I was many years back. 8i was flirting with the 150 flag. Bonus was the 5H was full awesome.

Emptied all my internet carts - just need to dance with the date which I brung. Gaps will be fine, comes down to the swing and stopping the flurry of analysis. Back to the course for some putting and chipping. Never enough practice time for that…

I think one thing I like most about the ZX7's is the distance control with these. No flyers, no oddball 7 irons that go 140 one time or 155 the next. The distances are consistent all thru the set for me.

I haven’t had a chance to play for a couple weeks which is good because it’s given me time to work on my swing. I’m going through a swing change with @KY Golfer help and so far the results are promising. I’ve been working on things in my backyard net set up trying to groove everything and decided to go to the range today to see the actual ball flight.

Got loosened up and grabbed my 9i and aimed at the 125 yd flag and was dropping them right over it about 135 or so. Grabbed the 7i and aimed at the 150 target. Nice high draws all within a couple yards of the target. And it was like that all through the set. They’re not the longest irons I’ve hit but they’re the most consistent.

The only issue I’m having is with the PW. I’m wearing the toe out on it. I think it’s a setup issue and I’ll get it figured out. Even off the toe I’m getting predictable distance and flight

I have never been the type that have felt the grass is greener in the neighbor's yard and just started purchasing. I've always been conservative and let's just say frugal in everything I buy. Back before my injuries my best part of my game was practice I love going to the driving range and the fields and just practicing my short game and seeing how much I can work the golf ball in different directions. Right now I'm doing the same thing, I have my practice net downstairs and M able to swing up to the five iron. Hitting a lot of toe shot so I'm trying to watch my left foot make sure it's planted and not my lower body swing too fast compared to my upper body. But I do believe it's time to purchase at least a newer set of used irons due to the fact of the where marks in the middle of my Ping Zing oh, yes in the middle of my Ping Zing, I used to be a very good player. So I do feel for you guys and know what you're going through

Forgot I chipped with my MF'ing A Wedge the other day!

There is zero spectacular about it other than the fact that I did it, because I never do that. I felt it necessary in the moment because of all you guys that do, all the love for the AW and it's shape and versatility, that putting through that fringe is tragedy waiting to happen, and because I think I said I would at some point. I was fine. Looks great over the ball like that. Would do again.

Last edited:

There is zero spectacular about it other than the fact that I did it, because I never do that. I felt it necessary in the moment because of all you guys that do, all the love for the AW and it's shape and versatility, that putting through that fringe is tragedy waiting to happen, and because I think I said I would at some point. I was fine. Looks great over the ball like that. Would do again.

I chip from that position 10 out of 10 times - I hate putting through any fringe. I find the AW pretty well behaved in that situation.

I would have chipped from that position but I wouldn't have used the AW I likely would have used a 7 or 8i looking to get the ball on the green and rolling sooner.

I would have chipped from that position but I wouldn't have used the AW I likely would have used a 7 or 8i looking to get the ball on the green and rolling sooner.
Yeah, whatever skips the fringe is fine by me. I use an 8i about as often as I do an AW. Couple times a year. Usually when I have to bump into the side of a green and don't want spin to kill it. Neither club are really my thing greenside though. And I played that AW to run instead of check, because not doing it often I really didn't know what I'd get if I clipped it into that break. I might try it again soon if I remember to. It definitely a good club for it.

I find the 7i a bit hot for that, 8i is closer. But I'm channeling the hours of practice I did when I was a kid and my 7i loft was closer to modern 8 or 9i. Old habits die hard.

I find the 7i a bit hot for that, 8i is closer. But I'm channeling the hours of practice I did when I was a kid and my 7i loft was closer to modern 8 or 9i. Old habits die hard.

There is some to the loft change. My technique tries to stay away from accelerating the clubhead too much that leads to things jumping. I try to keep it at a pace like the putter.

There is some to the loft change. My technique tries to stay away from accelerating the clubhead too much that leads to things jumping. I try to keep it at a pace like the putter.

Yeah, I try to do the same but evidently not to great effect :LOL:. I love the feel off the 7i but I have a tough time with distance on the little chips. For what ever reason (likely psychological) the 8i is a tad easier for me to control.

Yeah, I try to do the same but evidently not to great effect :LOL:. I love the feel off the 7i but I have a tough time with distance on the little chips. For what ever reason (likely psychological) the 8i is a tad easier for me to control.

A thought for me is to almost feel like my hands a dropping through the ball with their own weight and I am not helping it. Try practicing it with 5 and 6 irons. This helps greatly with distance control if you are controlling how far the ball goes based on the length of the stroke.

Anybody try the C-taper lite shafts in these heads yet? I am torn between those and KBS tour shafts. Launch monitor shows my best results with C-taper lite stiff vs other options available at that fitter, however options were a little thin.

Back