Srixon ZX5 and ZX7 Irons Review

A thought for me is to almost feel like my hands a dropping through the ball with their own weight and I am not helping it. Try practicing it with 5 and 6 irons. This helps greatly with distance control if you are controlling how far the ball goes based on the length of the stroke.

Had a 9i with me today so I did some green-side chipping with this and the idea of same tempo back as forward. Much mo betta. (y)

Credit where it's due - amidst some shenanigans today, and despite missing 4 fairways, I went 💯 in GIR using guess which clubs..

ZX7-EXTRA.png

Just got notice that my custom ZX5 4-iron should be here next Tuesday, 7/27. :banana:

Demoed the ZX7s and loved them but unfortunately they were out of budget. Went back to my p760s and started hitting them well and of course someone bought them on eBay before I could take them down. Bought the Z785s with the exact same specs as the ZX7s but for some reason I just don’t get the same distance even though they feel a little hotter off the face

Demoed the ZX7s and loved them but unfortunately they were out of budget. Went back to my p760s and started hitting them well and of course someone bought them on eBay before I could take them down. Bought the Z785s with the exact same specs as the ZX7s but for some reason I just don’t get the same distance even though they feel a little hotter off the face
785's and ZX7's have a very different feel about them. I skipped the 785 release because of it. ZX7 is much better IMO.

785's and ZX7's have a very different feel about them. I skipped the 785 release because of it. ZX7 is much better IMO.
I don’t mind it. The 785s feel a little more dampened but solid strikes feel very nice. Going to a trackman tonight so I’m looking forward to seeing ball speeds

Production times at Srixon must be getting back to semi-normal. Ordered a custom ZX5 4-iron on 7/7 and it is being delivered 7/27. So, 3-week turnaround is pretty good these days!

EB666D6A-FF3C-4F66-B873-070982C5B178.jpeg

This is what I'm hoping to do. Do a fitting with the ZX5 and then turn around and purchased 585 with same specs. I don't mind losing a little bit of distance they are older clubs, and considering I could easily save five hundred
I am hoping to do the same with the 585 due to the fact that I'm not consistent yet. Plan on being fitted with the zx5 this fall and then purchased some used 585 due to budget constraints. I don't mind being a little shorter with the older 585. You said they're shorter but are they just as accurate as the Z x with your specs?

This is what I'm hoping to do. Do a fitting with the ZX5 and then turn around and purchased 585 with same specs. I don't mind losing a little bit of distance they are older clubs, and considering I could easily save five hundred
I am hoping to do the same with the 585 due to the fact that I'm not consistent yet. Plan on being fitted with the zx5 this fall and then purchased some used 585 due to budget constraints. I don't mind being a little shorter with the older 585. You said they're shorter but are they just as accurate as the Z x with your specs?
So actually after doing a simulator session I found the distances to be quite similar, although still slightly shorter. I probably wasn’t striking the ball well the first time I took them out. Accuracy and flight wise I’d say they’re the same. Very easy to control the ball.

Awesome, thank you very much. Hopefully these clubs will like my swing and I can go through with it oh, but of course I will check all types of different heads with the fitting. Also looking at the Ping 210

I'd try to demo the ZX5s AND the 585s, if you can. You might find the difference worth the extra money. Or not. :D

Are the 585 still available new? Is that what you did, by brand new 785?

I'm going on feel memory (which is dangerous), but I didn't care for the 585, did like the ZX5 (but hit the ZX7 better) so if you can try them all that is best. My suspicion is the 785 and zx7 are closer to each other than the 585 and zx5 but I could be wrong.

13 yards of carry is big.
Yes it is...and it came with much tighter dispersion! I'll have a full post up hopefully by tomorrow, but I was fit into these at True Spec. Such a joy to actually start hitting the center of the face consistently, yet have confidence that there is not as much drop off when I do miss.

Looks like that tungsten insert on a zx5 might be reducing your turning over the clubface

Yes it is...and it came with much tighter dispersion! I'll have a full post up hopefully by tomorrow, but I was fit into these at True Spec. Such a joy to actually start hitting the center of the face consistently, yet have confidence that there is not as much drop off when I do miss.
That is the key, that means you'll hit more greens, make more putts and lower scores. All falls into place.

Looks like that tungsten insert on a zx5 might be reducing your turning over the clubface
There is tungsten in my current clubs too. But yes there is something about the ZX5 that works well for me.

That’s a win-win-win. Better launch and descent angles, tighter dispersion and increased distance. I had similar results with the ZX5s … got the shot window and distance that I wanted. More importantly, it has transferred from the simulator to the golf course. Just can’t say enough good things about the entire ZX series of irons.

That's another x-factor - I find that with irons I really need to hit them off grass rather than mats to understand how I'm going to get along with the sole and the rest of the package. The other day I was going back and forth between ZX7, Apex 21 and i210. Relatively similar builds, different feel and performance through the turf in my hands. I'm shallower than I used to be, conventional wisdom is that v-sole isn't for me, but I find that ZX7 continually wins (also vs ZX5), largely due to the narrower sole - at least that's my working theory.

That's another x-factor - I find that with irons I really need to hit them off grass rather than mats to understand how I'm going to get along with the sole and the rest of the package. The other day I was going back and forth between ZX7, Apex 21 and i210. Relatively similar builds, different feel and performance through the turf in my hands. I'm shallower than I used to be, conventional wisdom is that v-sole isn't for me, but I find that ZX7 continually wins (also vs ZX5), largely due to the narrower sole - at least that's my working theory.

+1 for me being a sweeper that gets along really well with the V-sole. I played a combo set of the 545/745 and then a full set of the 765 and now ZX7, with another 8-10 different experiments in between (the MP-20 HMB being the only ones that stayed in the bag for any extended period of time). For me, the feel, workability, and forgiveness in a stunning looking iron keeps me coming back to the Srix. I built my current set with MMT 95S and they are pretty much perfect with the exception of some lost distance in the 9 and P. Will likely bend them a deg strong at some point but second time out I shot the round of my life with these and my HC has dropped almost 2 full points since putting them in play.

Hearing how many sets of clubs people go through just amazes me. Especially since I'm still playing my ping zings that I bought in like new condition in 1993. Definitely not knocking anybody, it just shows how cheap I am :). That and I never had any problems spinning my zings back when I played a lot, now that I'm getting back into it it might be a little more difficult

Back