Srixon ZX5 and ZX7 Irons Review

Jman

Here for the Conversation
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
SOFTCAPPED
If you aren’t evolving, you are falling behind. Srixon Golf has always seemed to take this to heart, especially when it comes to their flagship irons the 5-Series and 7-Series. Well, after much anticipation, they are ready to formally introduce the next generation and here is our Srixon ZX5 and ZX7 irons review.

Not only does THP have a rundown of the design features of each in this article, but we were also able to spend time with the 7i and PW from each set as well.

Are you ready?

1-4.jpg

Quick Take

Put...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:
Great review, I hit the ZX5 as part of a fitting over here in Scotland and was blown away by the performance of the v sole through the turf, glad to see you agreed.
I have a set of 5-PW on order and hope to have them in a week or two, looking forward to getting them out on the course!

Good write up @Jman

I need to try some ZX5's. It's a series that has always intrigued, but I have never hit.

Once again @Jman drops literal knowledge bombs on us! These look amazing! I really like the ZX5 irons!

Nice write up @Jman. I have been pondering trying the Srixon line of irons. I have the ZU85 3 hybrid and I love it. I love the feel and to me it is such a versatile club from the tee, to the fairway and even rough. The ZX5 will be a club I will look to try and compare against my gamers the 718 AP1's which for me have not been beaten by numerous different irons I have tried.

excellent article! these are on a short list of what i want to hit next year. glad to hear the release isn’t too far away. those spin numbers definitely seem to be on the low side, but nice peak height so maybe not a concern.

Great review, I'm super keen to try these out. They are available here but I have yet to see them anywhere which is odd.
Heard so many good things about these but they are very rare in the UK. I don't think I've ever seen anyone gaming Srixon irons.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Great review, thanks. Srixon has seemed to improve the Z line beyond what I expected. I like the pictures better than what’s been floating around. For those who patiently waited they were rewarded with a good looking iron that’s packed with tech.

excellent article! these are on a short list of what i want to hit next year. glad to hear the release isn’t too far away. those spin numbers definitely seem to be on the low side, but nice peak height so maybe not a concern.
He mentioned in the article it is due to testing indoors.

So many different mats nowadays can change that. So glad the one I use is pretty close for me.

He mentioned in the article it is due to testing indoors.

So many different mats nowadays can change that. So glad the one I use is pretty close for me.
I was wondering about this the other day, do soles that are designed for better turf interaction suffer on harder matts?
You guys would have a lot of experience on this.
The other day I found I was hitting thinner soled irons more accurately than the wider soled ones in the shop. Maybe there are other reasons but it made me wonder

Nice write up James and best photos I have seen to date...well done. They look 🔥🔥🔥!

I was wondering about this the other day, do soles that are designed for better turf interaction suffer on harder matts?
You guys would have a lot of experience on this.
The other day I found I was hitting thinner soled irons more accurately than the wider soled ones in the shop. Maybe there are other reasons but it made me wonder

Completely dependent on the mat, but generally speaking, a wider soled iron can be quite helpful to a lot of golfers.

Completely dependent on the mat, but generally speaking, a wider soled iron can be quite helpful to a lot of golfers.
I wish I had taken a pic, it was a really strange matt with thin texture on top.
Anyway looking forward to testing these.

love this, those ZX7's are pure money. I am a blade guy and with the right shafts, i could see those in my bag for sure.

Great info @Jman , Love the 7's and may need to check out their Graphite offerings in these

Superb photos and write-up! It's no secret I'm a huge fan of Srixon irons - I am very much looking forward to these.

Great review @Jman. Impressive dispersion on both, but particularly on the ZX7 shots.

Great job in the article @Jman . Loved my 565/765 combo set, so it seems like Srixon has taken the best of prior iterations, added some new features, and come out with a faster ZX5 set, and a more precise ZX7 set. Would love to try out a combo set incorporating the Utility, ZX5 and ZX7.

The peak height with a wicked good descent angle make it a non issue.

Plus, as mentioned, I was indoors and off a mat for this one because of timing, which always brings my spin down a decent amount.

Great job in the article @Jman . Loved my 565/765 combo set, so it seems like Srixon has taken the best of prior iterations, added some new features, and come out with a faster ZX5 set, and a more precise ZX7 set. Would love to try out a combo set incorporating the Utility, ZX5 and ZX7.
I think the combo is going to get a lot of play in these. Though I don’t know how many 3 piece combos we get.

Great info @Jman , Love the 7's and may need to check out their Graphite offerings in these
For what it’s worth, from the initial info we were provided graphite in the 7’s will have to be custom ordered.

Definitely, and I think the ZX5 plays a lot smaller than the initial look the user sees in hand when it comes to sole width.

The peak height with a wicked good descent angle make it a non issue.

Plus, as mentioned, I was indoors and off a mat for this one because of timing, which always brings my spin down a decent amount.

other reviews have cited similar issues though. but like you say, the excellent descent angle nullifies those concerns. i’m playing a pretty low spin iron right now, and i’m a low ball hitter, but i never see issues holding greens.

Expectations for the ZX7 are such that I pre-emptively sold my z745's. That's the kind of decision I don't play fast and loose with. Let's go.

other reviews have cited similar issues though. but like you say, the excellent descent angle nullifies those concerns. i’m playing a pretty low spin iron right now, and i’m a low ball hitter, but i never see issues holding greens.
There are other reviews? ;) (you KNOW I’m kidding!)

In the ZX5 it didn’t surprise me as I saw similar from the 785’s and it’s why they only lasted a couple weeks for me. But, I do hit these higher, and the speed is up, mainframe is the real deal there.

I wish the outdoor sessions had not been wiped when I had to reinstall the Foresight app, it was about 400-600 RPM difference iirc.

Like we both said though, those descent angles will hold anything.

Appreciate you reading!!!!

Back