Srixon ZX5 and ZX7 Irons Review

View attachment 8975764

View attachment 8975765

View attachment 8975766

Compact to longer - P770, ZX7, T100S, Apex Pro

Actual thinnest to thickest top line would be T100S, ZX7, and then P770 and Apex Pro are pretty close. Perceived would put Pro higher on the list and drop ZX7 down, imo.

Going to take a few with a couple more. P7MC, Mav Pro, see what else is in the apartment closet...
I've always loved looking down at the topline of the Srixon 565/765's, and the ZX7 is no different. I really like the different satin finish on the face and topline, always framed the ball well for me.

I've always loved looking down at the topline of the Srixon 565/765's, and the ZX7 is no different. I really like the different satin finish on the face and topline, always framed the ball well for me.
Ya know, they look good, but the top line bugs me in that tiny complaint kind of way. The satin makes it look thicker. There's the slightest bevel/roundness to the back edge, but if they had beveled it more, or two-toned or chromed it, it would look so player. Better perceived. Like how the Apex Pros have and the KING Tours do. Just one opinion and preference though. They look pretty good.

If you see the dings on the ZX7 too, I did get some first time out in the bag. 😕

Last edited:
The 745's are still the best iron Srixon has put out. I hope the new irons have that shape and offset again.

It’s not big by any means fwiw. Maybe longer heel to toe, but it’s a players profile sole width imo.

View attachment 8975572

I’ll grab a pic next to my Cobra MIM and Miura CB57 when I get home.

The X7s are just slightly shorter heel to toe than the 785s from last year. Honestly.. It is between these and the X forged for me currently for the irons I want to put in my bag next year.. Maybe one other set as well. But these are in the lead.. I just need to see what shaft options they offer.

Ya know, they look good, but the top line bugs me in that tiny complaint kind of way. The Darrin makes it look thicker. There's the slightest bevel/roundness to the back edge, but if the have beveled it more, or two-toned or chromed it, it would look so player. Better perception. Like how the Apex Pros have and the KING Tours do. Just one opinion and preference though. They look pretty good.

If you see the dings on the ZX7 too, I did get some first time out in the bag. 😕
I'm not the type that uses a player iron, so the thinker looking topline actually helps me. It is funny, how the same visual gives 2 people different perceptions. Thanks for the pictures!

I'm not the type that uses a player iron, so the thinker looking topline actually helps me. It is funny, how the same visual gives 2 people different perceptions. Thanks for the pictures!
It is. I think these are a great balance there, really. They're a players cavity, but they're pretty comforting over the ball like that. I don't think you'd hear the word intimidating thrown around at all. Plenty there.

It is. I think these are a great balance there, really. They're a players cavity, but they're pretty comforting over the ball like that. I don't think you'd hear the word intimidating thrown around at all. Plenty there.
Compared to the others in the pic you posted they "look to be the most forgiving".

20201125_083329.jpg

20201125_083524.jpg

20201125_084141.jpg

Few more to compare.

Compared to the others in the pic you posted they "look to be the most forgiving".
And I wonder if some of that is to blend the look of the ZX5 and the ZX7, for those that play a combo set. I enjoy the look of the 565/765 combo set, because you could barely tell the 5 from the 7, from every angle.

View attachment 8975764

View attachment 8975765

View attachment 8975766

Compact to longer - P770, ZX7, T100S, Apex Pro

Actual thinnest to thickest top line would be T100S, ZX7, and then P770 and Apex Pro are pretty close. Perceived would put Pro higher on the list and drop ZX7 down, imo.

Going to take a few with a couple more. P7MC, Mav Pro, see what else is in the apartment closet...

You have ZX7 irons? Whoa. Comparative performance thoughts highly encouraged. :cool:

You have ZX7 irons? Whoa. Comparative performance thoughts highly encouraged. :cool:
I've only played them once, and I wrote about it on the previous page. If it warms up a little I might take them out for 9 when I run across town. I want to get some 9-PW shots in with them. Got to play most of the rest yesterday.

And I wonder if some of that is to blend the look of the ZX5 and the ZX7, for those that play a combo set. I enjoy the look of the 565/765 combo set, because you could barely tell the 5 from the 7, from every angle.
Could be. It makes all the difference when the topline is slightly rounded vs a more squarish look. These look great.

I've only played them once, and I wrote about it on the previous page. If it warms up a little I might take them out for 9 when I run across town. I want to get some 9-PW shots in with them. Got to play most of the rest yesterday.

The previous page, eh? I suppose can wander all the way over there. :D Given your feedback on the p770's in the shorter irons, your take on these in scoring irons will be interesting.

out of that lineup what do you hit the best? what look do you like the best?

Uhhh... Boy.. :unsure: I hit/play the P7MC the best. Aggravatingly so, because I've tried not to love them. :LOL: Apex Pro a real close second and my favorite overall, easily. LOVE the P770 long irons, and the look of the T100S. Not the feel though. The ZX7 have them on that for me.

@OldandStiff those are fantastic pictures! How did you get a set already?

Uhhh... Boy.. :unsure: I hit/play the P7MC the best. Aggravatingly so, because I've tried not to love them. :LOL: Apex Pro a real close second and my favorite overall, easily. LOVE the P770 long irons, and the look of the T100S. Not the feel though. The ZX7 have them on that for me.
the srixon are the best feeling?!
i would have no idea as i havent hit any of them but if i had to guess those srixon have gotta feel great.

@OldandStiff those are fantastic pictures! How did you get a set already?
I had a credit with an overseas seller and picked them up shortly after they came out. I know others who have have bought them from non-North American places. A friend has been playing the 5's, another said he just bought some, etc. They're not that hard to get I don't think. Just can't be sold here? I don't know. I didn't know it would be a thing until recently. They're in bags, and they barely even sell Srixon here so :confused2: I messaged THP-in-charge to make sure I could even show them or talk about them when people started messaging me about it.

Last edited:
the srixon are the best feeling?!
i would have no idea as i havent hit any of them but if i had to guess those srixon have gotta feel great.
I didn't say that! lol Feel is so subjective and dependent on preferences.. They feel good. You should try them if you get the chance, but I know it's tough where you are. I swear Nebraska has never heard of Cobra or Srixon, other than Srixon balls.

You have an impressive line-up of irons. Do you have the same shafts in all of them? How long do you hang on to them before deciding to move them?
Absolutely do not have the same shafts in all of them. Quite the opposite. As far as moving them, it depends. My wife would say 'not soon enough'. Some I like better than others, some I'm stubborn to try to like (talking to you T100S), and some are hard to ever want to part with (Apex Pro). I've sold a few sets recently, and I won't go into next spring with all these. They'd be wasted. Plus, there are new ones still coming.

Absolutely do not have the same shafts in all of them. Quite the opposite. As far as moving them, it depends. My wife would say 'not soon enough'. Some I like better than others, some I'm stubborn to try to like (talking to you T100S), and some are hard to ever want to part with (Apex Pro). I've sold a few sets recently, and I won't go into next spring with all these. They'd be wasted. Plus, there are new ones still coming.

i need to learn to play as one of the many...:ROFLMAO:

I didn't say that! lol Feel is so subjective and dependent on preferences.. They feel good. You should try them if you get the chance, but I know it's tough where you are. I swear Nebraska has never heard of Cobra or Srixon, other than Srixon balls.
FOR SURE, its really strange here where im at, with everything bought online really, no where to try anything other than maybe a demo club at a course. my local muni is titleist and callaway only really. the country club is ping and mizuno. there are a bunch of other local muni courses here but they dont really stock clubs. but a lot of oem name brands are just non existent. side note, when the srixons got hot a few years ago a couple of low low handicappers at the country club were talking about them one day and i was literally sold by their word, ordered them and been playing the 565s since.

One of the best reviews I have read. Very informative. Thank you.

Back