Srixon ZX5 and ZX7 Irons Review

I must be crazy as there’s nothing thick about the ZX7 topline to my eye haha

I will be in the market for a new set of irons. I love my PTX irons but these Srixon and the new Wilson Staff CB are both in the radar....

So who else is eager to try these out?

These irons look awesome. Thanks everyone for the comparison pics. My heart wants to hit the ZX7s, but my brain is leaning towards the 5s. Can't wait for these to be available to hit.

What an awesome amount of information to come home to!
Some really great photos, the ZX7 sole is much thinner than I thought, it looks great in the comparison pictures. Right up my street. Undecided about whether to combo or just go with a straight 5-pw ZX7 set.
I've got my Mizuno JPX921 HMP 4 iron coming to replace my driving iron but unsure yet whether to swap out the 5 iron for a ZX5. I'm pretty sure I would really enjoy hitting a forged 5 iron though. Super satisfying.
Loft wise I've checked it out and the PW is 1° stronger then my blades and the 5 iron is 2° stronger. That means I'm only losing 1 ° through the range, with that in mind I'm quite tempted to take the standard lofts and see how I get on. If I need to I can maybe bend the 5-9 1° weak and see how I get on.
Need to find a stockist, oddly my biggest local shop doesn't seem to have them which I find very strange.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

I am very thankful for today, but I need a conversation break, and I remembered I wanted to post these for @Faiz and anyone else curious about the shape or sole progressions.

20201126_180021.jpg
20201126_175850.jpg

Last edited:
Awesome pics. The ZX7 soles look 100% playable and not thin. I was worried they be on the thinner side.
They're definitely more towards the players end in the long irons, and stay pretty consistent from the longs instead of getting bigger in both directions from the 7 like some with forgiveness built in. I like that so far, especially in the short irons. Big difference between them and an Apex Pro in the 4 but not much but the 7/8.

Is that a bad knick in the 4i already? 😢
Yeah, they took some noticeable hits the first time out. After 2 rounds every single iron has one, usually 2 or more. @Jman said his were holding up well, so it kind of surprised me. When you bend them though, it's impossible not to notice how soft they are. That doesn't exactly equate to durability, but isn't unrelated either.

Yeah, they took some noticeable hits the first time out. After 2 rounds every single iron has one, usually 2 or more. @Jman said his were holding up well, so it kind of surprised me. When you bend them though, it's impossible not to notice how soft they are. That doesn't exactly equate to durability, but isn't unrelated either.
I know some will chime in and say well they are work horses and should get dinged a bit but that is really soft metal to have that happen so quickly. I would think they would take a bit more beating then that. Makes me wonder how bad the bag chatter will be?

I know some will chime in and say well they are work horses and should get dinged a bit but that is really soft metal to have that happen so quickly. I would think they would take a bit more beating then that. Makes me wonder how bad the bag chatter will be?
Yeah, I don't know. It makes me curious too. I really didn't expect it, but I don't want to overreact to it. I use 14 way bags, and they've taken two truck and cart rides, and played 2 rounds. We're headed home right now. I'll clean them up and grab a few snaps. Maybe compare them to the P7MCs. Those have had way more action, but are still pretty new, so it might be a decent comparison.

I am very thankful for today, but I need a conversation break, and I remembered I wanted to post these for @Faiz and anyone else curious about the shape or sole progressions.

View attachment 8976282
View attachment 8976283
Is there a set of players irons you haven't purchased yet?

They look great.

For those concerned about low spin, I think low spin is currently a bit overblown. I haven't seen an iron recently that was low spin that actually had playability issues. Descent Angle is an important metric for green stopping and I've never had issues stopping a Srixon 7 series iron on a green. The only irons that were legit too low spin for me were the Apex CF16 and I mean those were insanely popular here in THP.

Well, if you're already expecting it, then I won't disappoint 🤣🤣

It's not a beauty pageant. They're going to be hitting a mixture of different soil conditions at upwards of 80-90mph. A mark on the sole won't make them feel any worse or make the ball go wayward at impact.

But, that's me. I understand how others may expect them to be pristine longer for the money that you invested. But, for me, if a softer feel means more marks, it's worth the trade off.

Is there a set of players irons you haven't purchased yet?

They look great.

For those concerned about low spin, I think low spin is currently a bit overblown. I haven't seen an iron recently that was low spin that actually had playability issues. Descent Angle is an important metric for green stopping and I've never had issues stopping a Srixon 7 series iron on a green. The only irons that were legit too low spin for me were the Apex CF16 and I mean those were insanely popular here in THP.
Yes! lol

I think spin is and isn't overblown. I don't think it's as big a concern for some as much as others. All relative to swing and personal spin levels, skill, expectations, blah blah blah. For MY game, the whole descent angle conversation is overblown. I give 2 s***s about descent angle the way it generally seems to be used.. I mostly want no part of flying things high enough to depend on descent angle to save my lack of spin. Should the average player go for more launch and less spin coming in at a higher angle? Maybe more so? I don't know, but there are low spin players of various levels too, and they might notice a few hundred less revs. I noticed a few shots first round, and last round, having less spin and hold than I'm used to, but again, that's relative to what I've been playing. I think it gets a little muddled with club number and lift though, so I try to think about it in terms of distance. I want a certain spin at a certain window for a certain distance. In the end I don't care what number or loft club does that as long as it's consistent and the whole club range is covered. That's probably the gist of my 'it is and isn't' for me. Hope that makes sense and didn't sound argumentative. Wasn't meant that way.

I did change balls the last 9 yesterday to try to add more hold power, even though it was wet and windy.

Last edited:
Home now. I'll clean 'em up and snap some pics of the dings.

20201126_201122.jpg

20201126_201138.jpg

The MC's are pretty pristine compared. More of the little bitty ones because they've been out a lot more, but not a single big ding like these have. Look like they might be top against bottom marks.

Did you have the lie angles on these adjusted? The mark on them seems to be on every iron and in almost the exact same place. Just a curious observation.
Yeah, but some were definitely there before that. I played them once before we bent them all, and they had already acquired some marks. I think they're from the top of a club tapping the bottom of a sister club. There are more like those near the heel, but it's hard to catch them in the light.

I might try an experiment...

View attachment 8976326

View attachment 8976327

The MC's are pretty pristine compared. More of the little bitty ones because they've been out a lot more, but not a single big ding like these have. Look like they might be top against bottom marks.
Is kind of weird how those marks are in almost the exact same spots. :unsure:The knick on the 8 irons in the top pic is minor.

Yeah, but some were definitely there before that. I played them once before we bent them all, and they had already acquired some marks. I think they're from the top of a club tapping the bottom of a sister club. There are more like those near the heel, but it's hard to catch them in the light.
But hey, I bet they feel really soft :)

20201126_202458.jpg

Yeah, they're how they line up in the bag. I noticed the mark on the P was way out towards the edge and a slightly different texture. It's from the putter. Then I spun the wedge and dropped it onto the 9, perpendicularly, like tossing it into the bag, and that's the mark on it now.

They're just soft. Only as big of a deal as it is to any one person. I'm not a lunatic about gear (vain though, probably), but I'd wager at this rate they're going to look pretty beat, pretty fast for me. I won't baby them.

Last edited:
20201126_203336.jpg
This maybe doing it? I could be from bending, maybe. I'm trying to picture their plate. If it would press there on the toe. I bent half of them myself though, and we went flat, not up... :unsure:

Regardless, it is what it is, and some will care, and some won't.

I'm realizing it might, probably, definitely, make me make a decision on them a lot faster though. They're either hanging around a long time, or they're headed out soon, 'cause that's gonna add up.

Edit: no, I definitely didn't go past and have to bend back up on some of the ones that have it..

But hey, I bet they feel really soft :)
They do feel good. Decent forgiveness so far too. Shot of the day yesterday was a slight mishit. :LOL:

View attachment 8976332
This maybe doing it? I could be from bending, maybe. I'm trying to picture their plate. If it would press there on the toe. I bent half of them myself though, and we went flat, not up... :unsure:

Regardless, it is what it is, and some will care, and some won't.

I'm realizing it might, probably, definitely, make me make a decision on them a lot faster though. They're either hanging around a long time, or they're headed out soon, 'cause that's gonna add up.

Edit: no, I definitely didn't go past and have to bend back up on some of the ones that have it..
yep those would be in iron covers for me. Beautiful irons that don't need the unnecessary beating of bag chatter.

Back