Srixon ZX5 and ZX7 Irons Review

Anxiously awaiting my new Srixon clubs, as I was fortunate to become a Srixon Ambassador. I have an entirely new bag coming (hopefully very soon).
ZX5 Driver with Tour AD HD
ZX fw with Tour Ad Di
ZX 19* with Tensei Blue
ZX Utility 3 and 4 with Tour AD Di
ZX5 5-6 iron w DGS400 TI
ZX7 7-PW x DGS400 TI
and a few Zipcore Tour Stocks as well.

Can anyone recommend an AA for golf gear?
The first step is admitting I have a problem.
CMON FEDEX!!
I play a lot of rounds with my sponsor, and I'm out of available space to even store clubs, so... :confused2:

:D

Nice. Can't wait for your feedback. :cool:

Me too. I’ll be ordering a combo set in March for my birthday. I don’t expect them to be noticeably different than my current Z65 combo set but new and shiny is fun!

Weather is favorable for this upcoming weekend so hoping mine arrive by Friday.

Weather is favorable for this upcoming weekend so hoping mine arrive by Friday.
I see 50’s this week and my ears perked up. I don’t think I will have mine by then but one can hope.

I see 50’s this week and my ears perked up. I don’t think I will have mine by then but one can hope.
Makes me mad when the weather gets to golf temp during the week and not the weekend. Especially if I can’t take a day off.
I just want a decent day to get to know them when they arrive.

Going to start looking for some shipping updates this week. We’ll see if positive thoughts speed up the process.

Going to start looking for some shipping updates this week. We’ll see if positive thoughts speed up the process.
Sorry if I missed, but what set makeup did you order and when ?? Is 1/15 the expected ship date ?

Sorry if I missed, but what set makeup did you order and when ?? Is 1/15 the expected ship date ?
ZX5's 6-AW with Steel Fiber i95's. Customer service led me to believe that they will be ready this week and shipped. We shall see..... ordered on January 6th like a true degenerate.

Last edited:
ZX5's 6-AW with Steel Fiber i95's. Customer service led me to believe that they will be ready this week and shipped. We shall see..... ordered on January 6th like a true degenerate.

6388A695-D9EE-4B73-9E59-37C17B617646.JPG

They arrived!

First impressions below following an extended gapping session and hitting them side by side against my current gamers (JPX 921 Tour).

FYI - I have the KBS $ Taper 120 Stiff shafts in my ZX7's, and the Project X 6.5 in the 921 Tours, so this is by no means a perfect head to head comparison.

The ZX7's look so good in the flesh. In the bag I still love the look of the 921 Tours but the ZX7's look seriously mean. At address the ZX7 looks a little more squat, and the marginally thicker top line in the longer irons inspires a bit more confidence. By comparison the 921 Tour longer irons look quite scary at address. Personal preference but I am a big fan of the ZX7 at address.

The ZX7's go far for players irons. I found my carry distances were ~8 metres longer across the entire set, so bordering on a full club for me. I didn't necessarily need the distance but I can say with confidence I hit a 9 iron better than my 8 iron, and so on, so this can only help my game.

Spin numbers were solid, a touch lower than the tours but still within desired ranges. However, given the added carry comparing 7 irons is not really the whole story. I found the 921 Tour 6 iron and the ZX7 7 iron to perform identically, so it's a case of ignoring what's stamped on the club and focussing on how each irons performs at each distance.

Forgivness is outstanding on the ZX7. I was crushing the ZX7 5 iron shot after shot with identical carry distances, and it seemed to matter little whether it was a good or poor strike. I previously thought the 921 Tours were quite forgiving for this category of iron, but by comparison they were punishing my bad strikes, with both a loss in carry and greater left/right dispersion (likely due to the added spin and smaller cavity).

The feel on the ZX7's is great. On good strikes I love the feel on both irons, but if you miss the middle the ZX7's feel much nicer in the hands than the 921 Tours without any loss in feedback. The difference in shaft is probably contributing a little here.

For those that read my previous posts.. the 4 iron is still on the way as it is apparently out of stock in AUS. I currently have my 3 Hyrbid at 22 degrees, but will go back to 20 degrees based on how far I expect to hit the ZX7 4 iron.

I ended up keeping the ZX7 AW after being given the chance to hit it and then decide if I wanted it. It felt so much nicer to hit than my RTX4 50* wedge. However, I think I will need to bend it a degree or so strong in order to improve the gapping into the PW.

First proper round on Thursday.

Last edited:
I think these will be a very strong selling line for srixon.

Oh man, Those are sweet!
My combo set arrives on Saturday.
CMON FEDEX!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

@bombs those look great! And thanks for the impressions!

How'd the AW compare distance-wise to your gap wedge? I hit the Z785 AW (also 51*) earlier this week and found I was hitting it significantly further than the CBX2s I was also testing out. It gapped well with the ZX7 PW, but I had to go down to a 48* CBX2 to get similar carry figures to the AW.

@bombs those look great! And thanks for the impressions!

How'd the AW compare distance-wise to your gap wedge? I hit the Z785 AW (also 51*) earlier this week and found I was hitting it significantly further than the CBX2s I was also testing out. It gapped well with the ZX7 PW, but I had to go down to a 48* CBX2 to get similar carry figures to the AW.

From memory it was about a 5m difference in extra carry from the ZX7 AW over the RTX4 50*.

I can't recall whether there were any differences in my swing speed, but it's plausible possible given the lighter iron shaft (120g $ taper vs 132g DG S400).

View attachment 8987655

They arrived!

First impressions below following an extended gapping session and hitting them side by side against my current gamers (JPX 921 Tour).

FYI - I have the KBS $ Taper 120 Stiff shafts in my ZX7's, and the Project X 6.5 in the 921 Tours, so this is by no means a perfect head to head comparison.

The ZX7's look so good in the flesh. In the bag I still love the look of the 921 Tours but the ZX7's look seriously mean. At address the ZX7 looks a little more squat, and the marginally thicker top line in the longer irons inspires a bit more confidence. By comparison the 921 Tour longer irons look quite scary at address. Personal preference but I am a big fan of the ZX7 at address.

The ZX7's go far for players irons. I found my carry distances were ~8 metres longer across the entire set, so bordering on a full club for me. I didn't necessarily need the distance but I can say with confidence I hit a 9 iron better than my 8 iron, and so on, so this can only help my game.

Spin numbers were solid, a touch lower than the tours but still within desired ranges. However, given the added carry comparing 7 irons is not really the whole story. I found the 921 Tour 6 iron and the ZX7 7 iron to perform identically, so it's a case of ignoring what's stamped on the club and focussing on how each irons performs at each distance.

Forgivness is outstanding on the ZX7. I was crushing the ZX7 5 iron shot after shot with identical carry distances, and it seemed to matter little whether it was a good or poor strike. I previously thought the 921 Tours were quite forgiving for this category of iron, but by comparison they were punishing my bad strikes, with both a loss in carry and greater left/right dispersion (likely due to the added spin and smaller cavity).

The feel on the ZX7's is great. On good strikes I love the feel on both irons, but if you miss the middle the ZX7's feel much nicer in the hands than the 921 Tours without any loss in feedback. The difference in shaft is probably contributing a little here.

For those that read my previous posts.. the 4 iron is still on the way as it is apparently out of stock in AUS. I currently have my 3 Hyrbid at 22 degrees, but will go back to 20 degrees based on how far I expect to hit the ZX7 4 iron.

I ended up keeping the ZX7 AW after being given the chance to hit it and then decide if I wanted it. It felt so much nicer to hit than my RTX4 50* wedge. However, I think I will need to bend it a degree or so strong in order to improve the gapping into the PW.

Awesome impressions! Could you throw up a couple pics on the A wedge ?

View attachment 8987655

They arrived!

Nice initial thoughts and those look great in the bag!!!!

Back