Srixon ZX5 and ZX7 Irons Review

Hopefully I'll get to see Snicks hit 18 greens with his new and shiny this weekend.

Awesome!! When do they get dirty?

And I'm almost afraid to ask, but.. what is the reason behind the green grips?

If it's the the thing I think it might be though, maybe don't tell me. :LOL:
Saturday hopefully if the temps hold.
They just jumped out at me, I got a free set for the GP testing we did and liked them so figured to stay with it.
Of course it could be to make everyone green with envy too. :p

Extended session on the simulator today which went very well. Absolutely no hesitations in putting these in the bag for comp tomorrow.

Validated the ZX7 full club increase in carry over the 921 Tours and now know my average carry for each club.

Feel was again oustanding. ZX7 is one of the softest feeling clubs I've ever hit. Butter.

Really enjoyed the $ taper shaft coming from the PX 6.5.. a little less stout, and a touch lighter, but very nice and they felt easier to swing.

A few things I'm thinking about..

1. The PW-AW gap currently sits at ~15m carry. If I see this same gap on course then I'll likely get the AW bent 1* strong to bring this in line with the rest of the set.

2. I will need some time to adjust the the increased gapping across the set. The 921 Tours were an even 10m between each club which has increased to 13m with the ZX7's.

2. My 5 iron ZX7 left/right dispersion was a bit off when I was going after it. Slowing my swing a touch yielded great results. While the $ taper was working brilliantly from the 6 iron down, I am thinking it may not be as 'tight' in longer lengths. My swing speed on the course is usually a bit slower than when I'm on the range/sim, so this may be a non-issue when it actually matters.

First round on the course tomorrow. Really looking forward to seeing how they perform in the real world.

Those green grips are amazing!
This feedback is killing me. Here in the UK I don't think we'll be allowed to golf until late February at the earliest.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Well I'm up late enough for GHIN to update...

...and now I'm gonna put the ZX7's away for a few rounds.

Sandbaggers, you've been warned. The sand will run out.

Last edited:
Looking forward to seeing the differences between the 785’s and ZX5’s. Looking forward to the added forgiveness, even though I get along with the the 785’s just fine.

Looking good there @Snickerdog

Due to the UK lockdown, I am still yet to actually see these in hand and doubt I will for quite some time yet unfortunately

Question for those that can answer...thinking about a mixed set with recoils. Would they be too "head heavy" with these shafts? or any graphite shaft for that matter? Some comments said that they felt head heavy with iron shafts so I'm curious what they would feel like with graphite.

Question for those that can answer...thinking about a mixed set with recoils. Would they be too "head heavy" with these shafts? or any graphite shaft for that matter? Some comments said that they felt head heavy with iron shafts so I'm curious what they would feel like with graphite.

i highly doubt they'd feel too head heavy. from what i've seen, srixon's build department may be one of the best around. so if there's a certain swingweight you prefer, i'm sure they can do that for you.

So I picked them up this afternoon. Drew at Golf USA had them already de stickered, lie angle was checked and was 1 flat is it was supposed to be all the lofts where good
ZX7 5-PW Modus 120S GP MCC+4 Green
V-sole
View attachment 8987864
Love the bright greengrips

View attachment 8987865
Top view of 5&6
View attachment 8987866
The Bag
View attachment 8987867
I just don't think a person can beat those V soles, part of me wants to say they gotta be the best in golf?!

They would be able to hit a swing weight for you. I played Recoil 95's in my set of 765's and they did not feel head heavy to me.

First round on the course today. D I S A S T E R. I was making great contact I just seemed to leak everything right. Every single time.

Given this isn't my normal miss I was puzzled.. and the 921 Tours were close to going back in the bag.

Anyway tonight I went back to my course and hit the ZX7 and 921 Tours head to head into a small, tight green from 120m, 150m and 170m.

I worked out pretty quickly that for some reason I was standing marginally closer to the ball with the ZX7 which was messing with my swing path. No idea why. Same length. Same lie angles. Etc etc..

Once I corrected this the clouds parted, the birds were singing and there were rainbows in the sky.

I won't share all the stats but after 20 shots from 170m I was 80% GIR with the ZX7 and 50% with the 921 Tour. The long irons are SO EASY to hit.

:love:

Last edited:
@Snickerdog great looking sticks Snicks! Hope the weather holds out this weekend and you get a chance to break them in. Let us know how you make out, will be interesting to hear after a few rounds vs. your Callaway set.

I got an update on my order. Delivery is scheduled for Monday now. I am still happy with the quick turnaround from order dat.

I got an update on my order. Delivery is scheduled for Monday now. I am still happy with the quick turnaround from order dat.
Same here...on both counts..

First round on the course today. D I S A S T E R. I was making great contact I just seemed to leak everything right. Every single time.

Given this isn't my normal miss I was puzzled.. and the 921 Tours were close to going back in the bag.

Anyway tonight I went back to my course and hit the ZX7 and 921 Tours head to head into a small, tight green from 120m, 150m and 170m.

I worked out pretty quickly that for some reason I was standing marginally closer to the ball with the ZX7 which was messing with my swing path. No idea why. Same length. Same lie angles. Etc etc..

Once I corrected this the clouds parted, the birds were singing and there were rainbows in the sky.

I won't share all the stats but after 20 shots from 170m I was 80% GIR with the ZX7 and 50% with the 921 Tour. The long irons are SO EASY to hit.

:love:
Isn't it crazy how something so minor as being to close can screw up the swing. Glad you figured it out, that is high GIR

Played nine this afternoon with my 785’s. This was probably the last round they will have before they take up residence in my back up bag. The ZX5’s have some big shoes to fill, but I am confident that they will be up to the task.

Played nine this afternoon with my 785’s. This was probably the last round they will have before they take up residence in my back up bag. The ZX5’s have some big shoes to fill, but I am confident that they will be up to the task.
While I never played the 785's I did hit them and they don't even compare. You will really enjoy the ZX7's

While I never played the 785's I did hit them and they don't even compare. You will really enjoy the ZX7's
Great to hear. I've played the 565/765 and the 585/785 combo sets..cant wait..

All of you with your new ZX7's have me all paying attention and stuff. The FOMO is real!

Great to hear. I've played the 565/765 and the 585/785 combo sets..cant wait..
765's felt and looked great, these blow them away in both categories.

20210114_142953.jpg

Mmm. Just checked the forecast for tomorrow's round, and after a long wtf moment (it's 57, calm, and sunny right now), I tried to figure out what to bring for that...

I keep coming back to ZX7.

I think that says a lot. I've yet to really try a punch and knockdown round with them, but something about it is making sense in my head.

Last edited:
20210115_171300.jpg

Odd, and feels weird to post, but I want to have a place to reference when my memory of it inevitably goes to hell. Lots of personal bests with these clubs today, and the stars aligned during this stretch in a way I don't think they're ever likely to again. Once in a lifetime type stuff.

Tough conditions in the cold wind today and playing knockdown, muscling them into it, or easing off and letting them do the work up there and hold their lines pretty well all worked as good as I think I could ask. And I got saved in a pretty awesome way on a mishit later and turned it into a birdie. Missed only one green on a shot from the rough I hit beautifully, but the wind just wasn't having it.

They're really good heads. My first ever set of Srixons are making quite an impression on me.

Last edited:
Back