Srixon ZX5 and ZX7 Irons Review

I saw a full DEMO set of the ZX7 at 1 of our local GG stores.
These look very good in pictures.
They look even better in person and a bite more scary (but not too much)

Not sure if you guys are sick of photos yet, but I just took these to the range for the first time and they look so good and are buttery soft. I could see these staying in the bag for a long, long time.

313129D2-F937-4F10-8159-7AE6AF246582.jpeg

I was able to hit a few on the range this morning on my way into work today because a hearing I was supposed to attend was cancelled. My initial impression on these is that the feel is unbelievable. It's so effortless, and the sound is *chef kiss*. For me, the star of this set seems to be the ZX5 5 iron. I was able to get the ball up and drawing without any learning curve or overswinging. From the low end, I think the PW and 9 are unreal. Not only are they super easy to hit, but they are so workable.

The only hesitation I have is that I think I should have gone with the 7i in the ZX5 instead of the ZX7. Part of it is certainly that my swing isn't as good as it was or could be right now. I am still getting a bit disconnected and releasing early, which promotes this weird outside in situation and a slicey/toe-ey strike. I get away with it on some clubs, but the ZX7 7i is not one of them. When I put a good swing down, the ZX7 7i is a monster. I think as I get back into some more consistent golf I will be happy with the set as it, but there is something to be said about that confidence of knowing you don't have to put down a perfect swing.

Also, if you are a big fan of the Cobra F9/SZ long irons, but wished they had just a bit more v-sole shape, do check out the ZX5 line. There is so much mass low in them that the ball just wants to jump off the face and get up. It's awesome.

I was able to hit a few on the range this morning on my way into work today because a hearing I was supposed to attend was cancelled. My initial impression on these is that the feel is unbelievable. It's so effortless, and the sound is *chef kiss*. For me, the star of this set seems to be the ZX5 5 iron. I was able to get the ball up and drawing without any learning curve or overswinging. From the low end, I think the PW and 9 are unreal. Not only are they super easy to hit, but they are so workable.

The only hesitation I have is that I think I should have gone with the 7i in the ZX5 instead of the ZX7. Part of it is certainly that my swing isn't as good as it was or could be right now. I am still getting a bit disconnected and releasing early, which promotes this weird outside in situation and a slicey/toe-ey strike. I get away with it on some clubs, but the ZX7 7i is not one of them. When I put a good swing down, the ZX7 7i is a monster. I think as I get back into some more consistent golf I will be happy with the set as it, but there is something to be said about that confidence of knowing you don't have to put down a perfect swing.

Also, if you are a big fan of the Cobra F9/SZ long irons, but wished they had just a bit more v-sole shape, do check out the ZX5 line. There is so much mass low in them that the ball just wants to jump off the face and get up. It's awesome.

Interesting...without hitting mine yet, I was contemplating the same thing. I'll hit them then decide but I might just order a ZX5 in the 7 once the initial rush for these settles down. I should be able to get on a sim the first part of next week, then I'll know for sure.

Reactions: MH
Interesting...without hitting mine yet, I was contemplating the same thing. I'll hit them then decide but I might just order a ZX5 in the 7 once the initial rush for these settles down. I should be able to get on a sim the first part of next week, then I'll know for sure.
That is where I am at, but i will say that I am a believer in aspirational clubs, in the sense that I am not being carried by the club making a terrible shot decent. Playing the ZX7 in the 7i spot will 100% make me a better golfer this year because I am going to have to get back into how I was swinging pre-covid. For that reason, I am going to give it an extended run.

Tomorrow is my first round with them, should be fun to see some results on grass.

Can't wait to hear how it goes for you!

... check out the ZX5 line. There is so much mass low in them that the ball just wants to jump off the face and get up. It's awesome.

I've been looking forward to your opening thoughts. Thanks for the post! From my testing at the golf store, I definitely noticed what you mention in bold. The feel awesome, and just want to fly.

I keep thinking about these and how good they looked and felt in hand. The one time I can say thank goodness for winter and not being able to play haha

Will have first outing with ZX7 in the bag today...WAIT WHAT?!?! I got ZX7's!!???!? :ROFLMAO:

Will have first outing with ZX7 in the bag today...WAIT WHAT?!?! I got ZX7's!!???!? :ROFLMAO:
Its ok, I would want to be like me too. :LOL:

I have a set of ZX5 and kinda wish I woulda got the combo set with 8-PW ZX7. The 7 iron is the line of delineation for my game. With an 8-iron down, I feel like I can take dead aim and get aggressive. My 7-iron is more a 'get it on the green/make a smart-safe' shot club.

I have a set of ZX5 and kinda wish I woulda got the combo set with 8-PW ZX7. The 7 iron is the line of delineation for my game. With an 8-iron down, I feel like I can take dead aim and get aggressive. My 7-iron is more a 'get it on the green/make a smart-safe' shot club.
I think this is a great way to put it. I use my 7i as an every situation club, or when i know I need a ball to go 150+ yards and straight, like from rough conditions or tight lies. I need to see if the ZX7 7i does that for me. From my single range session so far, I think it will if I do my job and swing the club like I am supposed to. I just wish I had a bit more confidence in my game right now, but that may come once I get it out in the grass and see a few balls fly.

Another thing I will say, these irons are all of the sexy. They look really good in person, some of the best I have seen out. If there was ever a set in black with the DMB material, they would and look just like a B-2 bomber and literally break golf.

Got fit for the ZX5s this past weekend but elected not to pull the trigger. Loved the feel and the flight but not quite ready to part with my P760s because I feel I can still improve my play with them. Also was a little turned off at setup because I could see the back of the sole. Had I got fitted for the ZX7s then it might be a different story.

Got fit for the ZX5s this past weekend but elected not to pull the trigger. Loved the feel and the flight but not quite ready to part with my P760s because I feel I can still improve my play with them. Also was a little turned off at setup because I could see the back of the sole. Had I got fitted for the ZX7s then it might be a different story.
What shafts did they fit you into?

You guys are killing me haha. But here were my averages while getting fit. Look at the deviation on that zx7!!!!! And it was at the end after about roughly 15-20 swings with my irons warming up then 10 with the rest.
This screen shot is only looking at the top candidates. I hit 4 other 7 irons. Zx5 had similar numbers but the spin was too low and I liked the feel of these 3 better.
24D02393-A9FF-44D9-BB9F-7088F5E780F3.png

Last edited:
eww that came out really weird haha. Sorry if its hard to read. I was trying to get a screen shot of a video I was taking while he explained to me what was going on at that part.
edit: here’s the breakdown

Last edited:
You guys are killing me haha. But here were my averages while getting fit. Look at the deviation on that zx7!!!!! And it was at the end after about roughly 15-20 swings with my irons warming up then 10 with the rest.
This screen shot is only looking at the top candidates. I hit 4 other 7 irons. Zx5 had similar numbers but the spin was too low and I liked the feel of these 3 better.
View attachment 8995392
Which flip phone did you take this pic with

Which flip phone did you take this pic with

funny enough the video and what not came out great. I tried to edit this a little on my phone to make it look decent and I'm no tech expert in that regard.......

First round in the books. I’m liking what I’m seeing so far. Feel wise these are fantastic. Probably the the best feeling srixons I’ve tried. These are definitely longer than what I’m used to. I play pretty tradiontal lofts. I like my 7i to play at 34deg and I believe these are 32deg. I’m going into True Spec golf tomorrow morning to put them on the monitor and dial them in loft/lie wise. I’ve been playing a set of Cobra combo irons and these are definitely larger providing additional forgiveness which is very welcomed. But playing the MB pitching wedge in the Cobras, the set pitching wedge in the ZX7’s was substantially larger and I noticed it. Nothing I can’t get used to but feel like I can’t miss now. Similiar to what @BigDill said above about that ZX5/ZX7 transition for me it’s a transition in the short irons from a small MB to the ZX7. Attaching pic of the PW

A523D0BC-D393-40AA-A8F2-68CBF376267A.jpeg

Earlier reports of my 7i concern were overstated. I just left the range again and the ZX7 7i is going to be just fine in my bag. Hammering golf balls to distances I have not seen since I had the F9 set in my bag. The hosel, however, remains annoyingly unforgiving.

eww that came out really weird haha. Sorry if its hard to read. I was trying to get a screen shot of a video I was taking while he explained to me what was going on at that part.
edit: here’s the breakdown

'Second best launch' looks like best to me. Good stuff. I can see how he might want a little more for you, but the numbers look impressive with them. The choice is clear!!

Earlier reports of my 7i concern were overstated. I just left the range again and the ZX7 7i is going to be just fine in my bag. Hammering golf balls to distances I have not seen since I had the F9 set in my bag. The hosel, however, remains annoyingly unforgiving.

atta boy. I knew you had it in you. And don’t worry about there hosel. It’s just a figment if your imagination.

'Second best launch' looks like best to me. Good stuff. I can see how he might want a little more for you, but the numbers look impressive with them. The choice is clear!!

Ya since I am a bit of a low spinning guy a little more launch would be nice but the descent angle was good and I shouldn’t have to worry too much about the wind we get here.

The hosel is unforgiving for me too... but at least it’s soft and Endo-forged 🤣

As someone who is a higher handicap than all of you, and I ordered an entire set of zx7

This should be fun lol

Look good, feel good, play good (I hope)

Back