Srixon ZX5 and ZX7 Irons Review

That's what I need to explore. I was fitted for some LAGP shafts and play recoil 110's now. We thought the mmt's could be a nice fit for me, although I did not hit that specific shaft. I have hit numerous steel shafts but not thinking about actually getting a set. Since realistically I wouldn't get ZX7's from Srixon with any shaft now until end of April or early May, I will take my time and make sure I get something that works for me.

If I were in your position, having waited so long already and having a certain idea in mind, I'd be tempted to just wait it out till my original order came in. Might be preferable to feeling like you settled on something?

If I were in your position, having waited so long already and having a certain idea in mind, I'd be tempted to just wait it out till my original order came in. Might be preferable to feeling like you settled on something?

I heard 3 different times over 37 days the shafts were about to arrive and my clubs would ship in 7-10 days. I have no confidence they would actually get the shafts in April or May. Not worth the ongoing frustration. Heck, they had my money for 37 days. That's enough.

anyone who knows me knows that I like to try different irons. That’s what makes the sport fun for me. With that said the ZX7’s has been one of the easiest irons I’ve ever transitioned into. I just recently got them built up with a Mitsubishi OTi 100 X graphite iron shafts and had my first round out on Sunday. Aside from the increase in height and spin which I am in need of, I did not feel beat up after the round. The switch to graphite now, especially with elbow tendinitiswas a no-brainer. These are An absolute dream to hit. The one thing I’m still getting adjusted to is distance. I am absolutely nuking these things. Two shots that stood out to me...First one was 150 yard par 3 island green and used a 9i which is usually about my 155 club. I flew the flag a good 15 yards. Second shot was another par 3, 180yrd flag. Used an 8i and flew the back of the green. I may or may not adjust the loft and weaken them a bit to lofts I am more used to but don’t think that’s the only thing going on here. The tec is definitely there. Added forgiveness and distance in this profile is 💰

havent gotten the zx7's on the course yet but ive used my New Level's twice and been in the high 70s both times... hesitant to make a switch but guess I gotta see what the zx7's bring to the table

in practice the speeds have been impressive but consistency isn't quite there yet

Pushing one of my freshmen this way, not just because the team program is awesome, but because a combo of 5’s and 7’s would serve him well through his career. That said, the 7’s will come with a learning curve in the scoring irons for him, he’s a solid ball striker, but they’re more demanding than many want to realize, a true players CB.

Pushing one of my freshmen this way, not just because the team program is awesome, but because a combo of 5’s and 7’s would serve him well through his career. That said, the 7’s will come with a learning curve in the scoring irons for him, he’s a solid ball striker, but they’re more demanding than many want to realize, a true players CB.
I bet if he is a solid ball striker he won't have issues and will excel after a short time with them.

I bet if he is a solid ball striker he won't have issues and will excel after a short time with them.
Eh, there will be a bigger curve than he anticipates, but that’s my taking having reviewed both sets. Will be able to build him out a nice blend though.

Eh, there will be a bigger curve than he anticipates, but that’s my taking having reviewed both sets. Will be able to build him out a nice blend though.
Either way, hope he has a good season.

anyone who knows me knows that I like to try different irons. That’s what makes the sport fun for me. With that said the ZX7’s has been one of the easiest irons I’ve ever transitioned into. I just recently got them built up with a Mitsubishi OTi 100 X graphite iron shafts and had my first round out on Sunday. Aside from the increase in height and spin which I am in need of, I did not feel beat up after the round. The switch to graphite now, especially with elbow tendinitiswas a no-brainer. These are An absolute dream to hit. The one thing I’m still getting adjusted to is distance. I am absolutely nuking these things. Two shots that stood out to me...First one was 150 yard par 3 island green and used a 9i which is usually about my 155 club. I flew the flag a good 15 yards. Second shot was another par 3, 180yrd flag. Used an 8i and flew the back of the green. I may or may not adjust the loft and weaken them a bit to lofts I am more used to but don’t think that’s the only thing going on here. The tec is definitely there. Added forgiveness and distance in this profile is 💰

haha yes the distance is real. I’m sure a lot of it for me is due to being fit into something proper but I had 155 into a green and hit 9 iron pin high. Not something I’m used to.

Haha on the first par 3 I had 135 or something to a front pin. Hit 9 iron thinking I’d be just on the back (old irons distances) and ya that was wrong. Sailed the green deep into the marsh.

I asked the question about ZX7 long iron playability and forgiveness and got some responses - thank you to all.
I would also like to ask the question about opinions regarding the ZX5 and short irons (7-PW). Particularly as it relates to the wider soles. Someone that may have hit both and their observations would be helpful.
Thanks in advance

These are fun to hit and I agree with you the ZX7's are easy to play given their footprint at address. I am not someone with a strong iron game, and I had no issues hitting good shots with these, especially in the scoring irons.

I love the success people are having with the 7’s, especially since they’re as true of a players cavity back as we have seen in a minute. A true one piece forging with no crazy tech.

I've softened today. My piss and vinegar has turned to chamomile tee. Fits me better. I am a gentle soul. Course hasn't canceled my ZX7 order yet. I am going to see if I can get in and hit some shafts ASAP. No srixon fitting carts in the area, so I will likely grab the mp-20 mmc head and see what works. Mizuno has a pretty good fitting selection. As much I would like to be the golfer who builds his own clubs and tries different shafts, I am more the get my clubs and play them as is type. If I find something I like, I am going to politely ask Srixon if they will kindly expedite the order. We shall see.

I really did hit just about everything (even some more exotics like Miura and Honma), and these were head and shoulders my favorite irons. :love:

I've softened today. My piss and vinegar has turned to chamomile tee. Fits me better. I am a gentle soul. Course hasn't canceled my ZX7 order yet. I am going to see if I can get in and hit some shafts ASAP. No srixon fitting carts in the area, so I will likely grab the mp-20 mmc head and see what works. Mizuno has a pretty good fitting selection. As much I would like to be the golfer who builds his own clubs and tries different shafts, I am more the get my clubs and play them as is type. If I find something I like, I am going to politely ask Srixon if they will kindly expedite the order. We shall see.

I really did hit just about everything (even some more exotics like Miura and Honma), and these were head and shoulders my favorite irons. :love:

I like this. Not because waiting is fun, but COVID seems to be forcing just about everyone to recalibrate expectations. I've had to do it. Don't like it, but lots of items (bikes, golf equipment, etc.) are in high demand and short supply. Acquisitions are a competitive sport.

FWIW I just placed Mizuno order on Monday - they are running easily 6+ weeks right now. If you are doing a customer order regardless due to length/lie preferences, you are likely waiting with Mizuno too, unless you can buy off the rack. I still placed the order knowing 6+ weeks, because its what I wanted and no other way to get it. Hopefully by mid-May all is well. Golf won't start here in earnest for another month anyway.

I like this. Not because waiting is fun, but COVID seems to be forcing just about everyone to recalibrate expectations. I've had to do it. Don't like it, but lots of items (bikes, golf equipment, etc.) are in high demand and short supply. Acquisitions are a competitive sport.

FWIW I just placed Mizuno order on Monday - they are running easily 6+ weeks right now. If you are doing a customer order regardless due to length/lie preferences, you are likely waiting with Mizuno too, unless you can buy off the rack. I still placed the order knowing 6+ weeks, because its what I wanted and no other way to get it. Hopefully by mid-May all is well. Golf won't start here in earnest for another month anyway.

Good point. I am more OK with waiting than I think I have sounded. What I don't like is getting told over and over misinformation. My feedback to any of these companies having timing issues is just be honest. Before this is all over, I will have waited in the 8-10 week range and still not received what I ordered and told would take 2-3 weeks. I am already at 6 weeks.

Good point. I am more OK with waiting than I think I have sounded. What I don't like is getting told over and over misinformation.
The constantly changing story is what would annoy me to distraction and might eventually lead me to cancelling an order out of that annoyance and frustration.

I asked the question about ZX7 long iron playability and forgiveness and got some responses - thank you to all.
I would also like to ask the question about opinions regarding the ZX5 and short irons (7-PW). Particularly as it relates to the wider soles. Someone that may have hit both and their observations would be helpful.
Thanks in advance

I only hit the 7 iron in the zx5. It was good. Feel not as solid but still nice.

Don’t forget guys. That massive container ship that sunk/took a loss could have had a tonnnnnmm of golf stuff on it. Also, apparently the ports out there are backed up and stuffed.

todays world unfortunately.

I only hit the 7 iron in the zx5. It was good. Feel not as solid but still nice.

Don’t forget guys. That massive container ship that sunk/took a loss could have had a tonnnnnmm of golf stuff on it. Also, apparently the ports out there are backed up and stuffed.

todays world unfortunately.
Being in the business apparently is to modest of term. They are a thin hair short of being called jacked up.
Between COVID rules & the amount coming in, there is no real sight to the end of it.
I have a container of wire that was supposed to be delivered to Nebraska 2 weeks ago & won't even leave LB until next Tuesday.

I can imagine what the golf industry is trying to do to get products in for popular lines like the ZX
There is only some much room to air freight stuff w/o getting a ridiculous upcharge.

@GoldenBuff I just put up my zx7's with steelfiber 110's if you're interested on the For Sale forum

I'm really liking the looks, feel, and dispersion of my ZX7's after a few range sessions on the SIM. Here's the last 20 or shots with my wedge from today - a few loose shots in there over 25 feet but average was 14.5' which is as good as I do on that simulator from 128 yards. Distance control was within 4 yards short or long except for one shot.

Screen Shot 2021-03-19 at 11.00.21 AM.png

those are sooo beautiful haha. like super gorgeous.
They really are gorgeous!!! just not gonna work for me. I thought the shaft would work but I gotta go heavier

Back