Srixon ZX5 and ZX7 Irons Review

I just replaced my ping i3s blades after playing them for 20 years (5 years off because of a bad shoulder that got fixed during quarantine) I just got my combo set in a couple weeks ago. I have the zx5 in 5-6 and the zx7 in 7-pw with KBS Tour S soft stepped. And they ended up coming in two weeks even though I was told I was looking at two months. I originally bought a set of JPX 921 Tours and loved the look at address but they were too much work and not very forgiving. With my new shoulder I needed a little more help and pop. Then I switched to the 921 Forged and they were way easier to hit,. especially off toe strikes which is my typical miss, but I didn't love the feel or look at address. I play to a 10 but my iron striking has always been pretty good. Nice high ball flight and I like to shape the ball. The Forged would've been fine but I wanted a smaller looking club and was considering the p770s as a happy medium between the Tour and Forged but also didn't love the feel and they really weren't that impressive in terms of distance. I saw reviews for these and would've never even thought to look into Srixon and not because I'm a snob but because I didn't know anything about them since I've been out of golf for five years and never really looked into new irons because I liked my pings. The zx7 had a nicer feel than any other single piece Forged club I hit. And it was surprisingly forgiving. Toe shots on the trackman were barely losing any distance. And the zx5s all felt like rockets and were also really soft. Not quite as responsive as the zx7s but still amazing and better than the 921 Forged which I had been using on the course at the time. I had one last bite of the 90 day apple at Roger Dunn and went with these and couldn't be happier. They feel amazing on the course. They look amazing in the bag. Their performance is incredible. I can shape the 7s exactly how I want to and can control my distances really well when I want to hit soft fades to go shorter. They get plenty of spin but really do come off the club nicely. And the zx5s are so much fun. I weakened the loft of the zx5 6 iron 1 degree to be the same as the zx7 six iron would've been and I'd probably be just as happy with the zx5 in the 7 too. Can't recommend these enough. I was told this brand is the best kept secret in golf. And for my game, being a good golfer who's looking to get down into the mid single digits and wants a player's look at address and a very responsive Forged feel but who also needs some help since my back swing isn't as long as it used to be after shoulder surgery I can't recommend these enough to someone who is a good golfer and shapes the ball well and likes to be precise with their irons but wouldn't really benefit from the JPX Tours or the p7mcs. I'm actually kind of surprised Brooks Koepka is playing them because they almost feel like cheating. But definitely check these out. I couldn't be happier and I now feel like a Srixon user for life.

Short update: Kept my ZX7 order with some modifications. (y)

Details: After talking with two local pros and the Srixon rep, I adjusted my order. Given many weeks of waiting yet, we decided to update the order. PW-7i ZX7 and 6-5 ZX5, both with mmt 105 shafts. Added a ZX utility in the 4i spot with recoil 110 f4 and Zipcore 51, 55, 59 wedges all same length as PW with stock spinner shafts.

Combo why: Long iron forgiveness, why not? I generally hit long irons well but have never tried a little more forgiveness there. Long par 3s, going to par 5 greens in two. Worth giving a shot. Picking up single ZX7 irons if needed later, is a non issue.

Utility iron why: Experiment. Never played one before. On my home course, this will get used off the tee on 3 par 4's. I have high hopes for this one.

Wedges why: I like heaver shafts in wedges. Same length as PW is something I have consider previously. Now is the time.

For those who enjoy crazy: You can find a couple of of my cry baby, drama queen whining posts regarding delays and such earlier in this thread. :rolleyes:

Details: After talking with two local pros and the Srixon rep, I adjusted my order. Given many weeks of waiting yet, we decided to update the order. PW-7i ZX7 and 6-5 ZX5, both with mmt 105 shafts. Added a ZX utility in the 4i spot with recoil 110 f4 and Zipcore 51, 55, 59 wedges all same length as PW with stock spinner shafts.

Combo why: Long iron forgiveness, why not? I generally hit long irons well but have never tried a little more forgiveness there. Long par 3s, going to par 5 greens in two. Worth giving a shot. Picking up single ZX7 irons if needed later, is a non issue.

Utility iron why: Experiment. Never played one before. On my home course, this will get used off the tee on 3 par 4's. I have high hopes for this one.

Wedges why: I like heaver shafts in wedges. Same length as PW is something I have consider previously. Now is the time.

For those who enjoy crazy: You can find a couple of of my cry baby, drama queen whining posts regarding delays and such earlier in this thread. :rolleyes:
I called about my ZX4 5 iron yesterday and was told it would be a couple more weeks...I almost went down the path of being difficult but I caught myself and said thanks for checking. Every one is a bit on edge and it is easy to get pissed off. We all want some control over something. Give yourself a pass, you seem like an easy going guy for the most part. I think you will love your purchase.

Oh heck yeah. Love the order additions!

Wowzerssssss!!! That's switching things up for sure. Glad you decided to stay the course with Srixon, I think you will be very happy when you get them for sure.

Good day with the ZX7's, hit 50% of GIR. My goal is to get to an average of 60% for the year so headed in the right direction.
One thing I have noticed is how smooth the Modus 120S shaft are on these irons. Not tired at the end of the round with the increased weight.
The 7's are just handling everything well turf wise with the V sole whether in the fairway or light rough.

Wowzerssssss!!! That's switching things up for sure. Glad you decided to stay the course with Srixon, I think you will be very happy when you get them for sure.

Outside of my golfer to golfer venting, I never changed my mind about wanting these. I just had to accept a new timing paradigm. And my buddy's kid just won't get my Mizunos for awhile. Overall the change in setup feels good for my goals. I was about 50% GIR last year. Even on my poor play first round of the year, I was 8/18. Like you, I want to bump that up this year. For me that would be particularly helpful on the off chance I figure out how to putt. ;)

I echo this! I know you will love them after my week of hitting hundreds of balls on the sim and outdoors with my ZX7/5 combo set and my ZX 20*. They are fantastic!:)

I’ll just leave this here.
28049952-FE80-4792-93C9-9C057236D7B3.jpeg

I had a couple people kind of bark at me about not having the ZX7's with me today so they could see/try them. Apparently my new sexy other clubs aren't that sexy after all. :cautious: And I didn't have the right SPEED driver. Glad people are excited about them, but he whole thing actually made me kind of glad I didn't have the ZX's with me. Nothing of mine deserves to be molested by such A-holes!

Last edited:
I finally was able to hit these for a few minutes yesterday. I got along very well with both the ZX7 and ZX5 - I could game either, or both...Would probably do a combo 5-6:7-PW.

I have been hitting my current clubs pretty well so not ready to change it up, but these will definitely be in the mix if I decide to get something shiny and new.

This gap wedge continues to freaking shine man. Such a comfortable club from 100-125. Also super easy to hit finesse pitch shots with.

hit these pretty well yesterday. Direction was a little off but swing was in a weird spot.

long irons continue to shine. 5/6 iron are so good and the forgiveness is just excellent.

This gap wedge continues to freaking shine man. Such a comfortable club from 100-125. Also super easy to hit finesse pitch shots with.

hit these pretty well yesterday. Direction was a little off but swing was in a weird spot.

long irons continue to shine. 5/6 iron are so good and the forgiveness is just excellent.

Did you get all 7's or a split set?

Did you get all 7's or a split set?

i ordered all 7s. Was torn about splitting it but the fitter wasn’t a huge fan of just ordering split for 2 individual irons. Especially when I was hitting the the demo well enough.

I’m glad I didn’t split. 5 iron is really nice. Especially for a couple of tee shots I use it for at my course.

Quick little update as I just finished a league match with these in the bag today. Short irons continue to excel. Really starting to like them a lot. Although again consistently longer than what I’m used to. I think I got it dialled into about 15 yards more than what I’m used to. Although I will say the one stand out shot was on a reachable par 5. Absolutely piped the drive and had 235 to a backpin for the second shot. Hit a 4i with a nice mid draw and landed about 220 and released another 15ft , pin high but a bit to the right. Three putted for par. 🤷🏻‍♂️ That’s not the iron’s fault! Used a 4i off the Tee on the 350yrd 18th and had 125 in. So distance is pretty consistent. Super happy so far with these in the bag!

I passed on the gap wedge and went with CBX2. Might have to reconsider (although I’m betting those 2 wedges are very similar).
does the gap wedge look like the Zx5 or zx7? It’s my understanding that it’s just 1 gap wedge for the entire Zx line.

I passed on the gap wedge and went with CBX2. Might have to reconsider (although I’m betting those 2 wedges are very similar).
does the gap wedge look like the Zx5 or zx7? It’s my understanding that it’s just 1 gap wedge for the entire Zx line.
There are different gap wedges, I have zx5 gap wedge and it looks like zx5 irons. The zx7 gap wedge has more of a clean blade look to it.

yes as stated. They have 3 different GW for the zx5, 7, and forged. Slight differences but they do appear different.

Finally hit the range with the zx7, and I magically developed a Draw and a pretty good one at that, I can count on 1 hand how many draws I hit before today
zx7 is so pure out of the middle, the toe is pretty brutal tbh lol but they look so good I'm happy
The workability and feel is just so good, unlikely anything I've ever used before, love them

Had the best shot on a par 3 with my ZX5's. Distance was 150 yds to an elevated green with a strong wind quartering against from right to left. I figured it would play 165 yds. I chose my 6 iron. Made a solid swing. Mid high trajectory. Headed right at the pin. Held the line. It landed on the green short of the pin, rolled right past the pin and stopped 6 inches past the cup. Shortest birdie putt ever. I love these irons.

Finally got word my irons will be here on Thursday. My swing is an absolute dumpster fire at the moment, right on time! :LOL:
Then you've teed up a before and after story beautifully! :p.

"These Irons Saved My Game".

Played 27 in very windy conditions today. Able to club up and hit a lot of punch shots today with ease. Pretty dialed in for distances with the ZX5’s.

Back