Srixon ZX5 and ZX7 Irons Review

I've decided that the only way to get my ZX7's the playtime they deserve is to same shaft them. No excuse they might hold me back then right? So as sexy as they look with the blackouts, when my TCB's get here the 7's are getting the IO 6.5 treatment. That's as close to plug and play as I can make them and will therefore have no excuse but to play them.

Bout dang time mister.

I've decided that the only way to get my ZX7's the playtime they deserve is to same shaft them. No excuse they might hold me back then right? So as sexy as they look with the blackouts, when my TCB's get here the 7's are getting the IO 6.5 treatment. That's as close to plug and play as I can make them and will therefore have no excuse but to play them.

You are pulling the up’s out of the tcb’s?

You are pulling the IO’s out of the tcb’s?
NOoooo. Using the ones that were in the X Forged. I just don't want to take the ZX7 apart again until the TCB's are here to play. (y)

Reactions: MH
Was decent day with the 7's. I hit 7/14 GIR that I used irons on, ( the other 4 approach shots where with hybrids)
So while 50% isn't to bad, I want it higher. Distance wise I was dialed in, but the wind got me a few times and pushed shots left or right.
I am seeing a nice high ball flight that is giving me a good decent angle and holding greens with the Chrome Soft.
No issues getting thru the turf at all.

I am into week 8 of waiting now. Hitting my Z945's well, so not the end of the world but still frustrated.
Actually thinking of going ahead with a knee replacement I was putting off until November. I could start healing and waiting at the same time :)

7 iron off the tee on a shorter par 3 playing 146. Nice contact on the 7 iron and the wind pushed it just about 8 feet left. I missed the putt though for birdie.
8AEC7611-6843-403A-9AAE-5B285C0FA1B6.jpeg
8C4EB8DD-B12B-4855-8350-11840E87A653.jpeg

Very windy today. I struggled off the tee but was able to flight my irons pretty good and played the wind nicely To save my scoring.

One thing goes without saying...these sure do look good in the bag!

E844881F-AA35-4FF1-8407-0DDE57E699BC.jpeg

I had the ZX5's out for a couple of hits over the weekend.
First I was at the range which has top tracer on every bay and it were like throwing darts! I was seeing good accuracy and distance and was feeling pretty dialled in for the first competition of the season the next day.
This was to be the first time I got to play them fully off grass, up till now we still had mats in play on the fairway and on the par 3 tees. I was a little concerned that having not hit them from the fairway before would be an issue in competition conditions. I shouldn't have worried my swing broke long before I got the chance to try the irons!
First few holes were a bit rough but slowly it started to come round and by the 4th I was at least hitting irons onto greens, I felt I wasn't quite on it so the strike wasn't as good as usual but I was still seeing good distance (front half of the green instead of pin high) and the direction was always on line. Highlights were a 9 iron to 6' for birdie and a 5 iron from the semi rough 217yds down wind to pin high just off the green.
I want to do a bit more work from the fairway just to build some confidence in the irons but they continue to impress so much so that I am contemplating the zx5 4 iron to remove one of my hybrids.

How is turf interaction b/w the ZX7 and the ZX5?

Last edited:
You know, Srixon makes an 18° utility, too. Just sayin’ 😉

Oh I know and it’s a beast. Trying this one out but may make the switch

How is turf interaction b/w the 7 and the 5?
I haven't had any issues at all getting thru anything so far. Dormant zoysia, wet zoysia and fescue and no issues.

Oh I know and it’s a beast. Trying this one out but may make the switch
Let me tell you about the satin black zipcore wedges while I’m at it 😁

Which line up would be more in line with the Cobra Forged Tecs? ZX5 probably?

Which line up would be more in line with the Cobra Forged Tecs? ZX5 probably?
Yes I believe both of those clubs fall into the players distance category. The ZX4 are hollow body in similar fashion to forged tec, but the zx4 are more forgiving and leaning towards GI.

Have you been to Woods to Wedges? They carry Srixon, but are sometimes behind the releases and don't stock for a couple of months after clubs come out.

Have you been to Woods to Wedges? They carry Srixon, but are sometimes behind the releases and don't stock for a couple of months after clubs come out.
Unfortunately they no longer carry Srixon. Also not a fan of their hitting bays in the store. The matts are pretty thin and uneven. I’ve been getting along with my current set so I think I’m going to wait to get fitted until I’m down in Pinehurst or Vegas where I can easily get fitted on grass

these were a lot of fun this AM. love the turf interaction with these! I'm also hitting them quite straighter and longer in comparison to my last experiment.

A few more rounds this past week.

definitely getting more comfortable. Loving the shaft I have as well (modus 105x). The one thing I told me buddy.... he askedhow I like the xtra stiff when I already hit it low with little spin. Told him, I’m seeing a much higher flight, plus with them being slightly lighter than previous iron shafts, I’m getting good speed in order to create a little more spin also. Soooo hell ya.

windy onTuesday. But ummm my lower spin was very effective. Ball was in control most of the day as well. From thefairway I was hitting over 50% of my gir. Struggled at first though overall score wise due to tee ball.

also played from the tips on Tuesday (roughly 68-7000 depending on what part of tee boxes they used) so I got to use almost all my irons. I was able to get even more comfortable with my 5 and6 iron which was awesome. Shot an 85 so I was happy overall.

Wondering if anyone is pairing CBX2 wedges with ZX5. Not a lot of detail on the set AW, and a 50 CBX2 seems like a logical progression, especially keeping shaft the same. Would be a full swing club, something I don’t do with for instance my 58 TS.

Wondering if anyone is pairing CBX2 wedges with ZX5. Not a lot of detail on the set AW, and a 50 CBX2 seems like a logical progression, especially keeping shaft the same. Would be a full swing club, something I don’t do with for instance my 58 TS.

I don't own them, but have hit them and seem like a great paring to me. I have ZX7 and ZipCore as gamers for reference, but was/still am tempted by a CBX 2 50*.

Back