Srixon ZX5 and ZX7 Irons Review

Wondering if anyone is pairing CBX2 wedges with ZX5. Not a lot of detail on the set AW, and a 50 CBX2 seems like a logical progression, especially keeping shaft the same. Would be a full swing club, something I don’t do with for instance my 58 TS.
I decided to go with the set gap wedge for the ZX5, but I have hard pondered picking up a 50 CBX2 to see which club would win that head-to-head battle in my bag

Wondering if anyone is pairing CBX2 wedges with ZX5. Not a lot of detail on the set AW, and a 50 CBX2 seems like a logical progression, especially keeping shaft the same. Would be a full swing club, something I don’t do with for instance my 58 TS.
Exactly what I did. CBX2 50 with recoil 95s shaft.

Love this club and the 56 and 60 CBX2.

I have 2 CBX2 wedges with ZX5’s. I replaced my 50* CBX2 with the set AW. I like the AW a little better because it goes a little further. Not much in it though. It’s a win-win.

As an older 5 handicap, I went with the ZX5 over the ZX7 for some additional distance and higher trajectory. I also went with UST Recoil 760 Smacwrap in F2. These irons are well suited to my game. Much more so than the Ping G700 irons I was fitted into at Club Champion back in December 2019. I have confidence in all irons from 6 to AW. Wondering if I should order a 5 iron now. :)

Glad to hear you are getting along with them.
I have the 5i in my ZX7's and find it pretty easy to hit, I would imagine the ZX5 would be even easier.

Glad you're in a set that suits you better and you have confidence in. It's been coming through in your posts and that's awesome to see/hear.

I’ve been testing a ZX5 7i with Recoil 95R. Coming back from a long layoff due to elbow tendonitis. I’ve cycled through a couple of irons and didn’t immediately have the ZX5 magically fix my rusty swing. But a few days ago had some flashes at the range, and today hitting balls and checking lie angle/contact I had a bit of a breakthrough and am eagerly awaiting the rest of the irons. Before my injury I typically hit my 7i about 150 with good balls. Today was close to that with range balls and wasnt getting too punished by misfits - which were obvious hitting marked balls. Plus my trajectory was back up.

Congrats on finding a good setup. Play them in good health.

I've really enjoyed my ZX5s. I've had them for about a month as well. I'm also getting a chance to see how they really shine as the weather has gotten warmer. I originally thought they were about the same distance as my 565s and G25s before them...sort of my standard distances. But these are about 8-10 yards longer for me. I flew 3 greens yesterday.

But irons are about consistency, not raw distance. These are just really easy to dial in.

Finally got to play a round with the ZX7, I couldn't be happier with them, I don't think I missed an approach shot or a par 3 green all round, I am seriously considering getting the AW or just new wedges, I started just doing 75% and 50% swings after hole 12 because I was so much more accurate with my Pw or 9 iron than any of my wedges from 140 yards and in

No more low spin flyers we have Pin seeking missiles now

Finally got my new zx5 irons in play last week and I am in love with them. First time in a while I have used a set gap wedge but I love the gap wedge in this set

So my ZX7 8i showed up today, just as I was heading to the range to hit my ZX5 7i and work some more on my swing. Got a small bucket and went back and forth between the two, hitting off grass with typical range balls. What I found in this session:

1. practice and some analysis (phone video and marked ball) go a long way. Contact is still inconsistent but better and every ball would have been playable.
2. the ZX7 let me know when I was off the sweet spot. The ZX5 doesn't give the same feedback but also doesn't drop off with distance as much
3. a couple of good strikes with the ZX7 8i were going as long (if not a bit longer) than most of the ZX5 7i.
4. I had a higher percentage of "dead center" strikes with the ZX7. I don't know what I really caught any of the ZX5 swings. Could be shorter shaft of 8i vs 7i or ?
5. did I mention the practice thing?

Perhaps not that shocking but I was surprised at how good the well struck ZX7 shots felt and how far/high they went. I have ordered 8-PW in ZX5 already, but may add ZX7 in 9-PW and play a mixed set. Could probably game either, will be interesting to see how I get on with the ZX7 next time to the range.

Don't you find the gap from PW(46°) to 52° too big?
Very rarely and depends on the shot but I am debating on messing with a 50* and/or match the shaft for that gap wedge.

I ended up getting the CBX2 48*, 52* and 56*. My ZX5 PW is my 120-125 club. I hit my 52* about 100. When I was at that 110-115 range I either had to take something off a PW or hammer a 52*. 100% user error, but I'm not good taking a little off a PW.

Literally the first time I hit my 48* was on #1 on my home course and stuck in pin high 7 feet away. It has quickly become one of my favorite clubs.

I had a 50* CBX2 that I sold that I could have used. Nothing was wrong with it, I just wanted the black satin nickel CBX2s.

Had a couple guys check out the ZX7's and really like the looks.
Performance was great with them today, distances are dialed in on all clubs. Hit some nice 3/4 PW shots today that held the greens well.

Srixon for the Masters win!

Well I wasn’t thinking about Hidecki this morning, but by coincidence I put the first round on my ZX7s today! That will be a fun memory. Also had Srixon F85 3w, ZX Utility 2i, and ZipCore wedges in the bag, along with a SpeedZone Extreme driver.

E46EE3EB-C1DA-4211-90E2-F472BA9D41A2.jpeg

Who would have thought the Masters champion plays the same driver I do. This crazy game!

Either there is a wave of people looking for new clubs now that the weather is warming, or Hideki's win got them thinking, or something. Because I keep getting random notifications on old ZX7 videos of mine.

Feels like forever since I played them much. One of the first things on my list is still to shaft them to match my Apex's when the TCB's get here today, hopefully. I really do miss hitting them.

I had been struggling with the strike on the ZX5's recently, played on Friday and it was slowly improving, played again on Saturday and what a difference, straight from the first I was finding the centre of the club face and the ball was flying exactly where I was aiming it. 2 of the par 3's I knocked it to 6' and then 3' ( only 1 birdie though!) and all of my irons were point and shoot with the feel off the club being fantastic. The only change I made between Friday and Saturday was I changed into a pair of spikeless shoes which I think allowed me to lower my low point just enough to find the centre of the club more consistently.

Had a wet course on Saturday and the V-sole performed great. No issues getting hung up in the much.

The more I use these clubs, the better I like em! (y)

Back