Stability Shaft Alternative

TMAdidas

Reaction score
Handicap
With things like the KBS CT Tour, Mamiya Frequency Filtered, and others, is there a good alternative to the Stability Shaft? I'm adding a 1.25" to my current gamer and figure maybe I'll reshaft instead of just add an extension. Anyone toy around with any other putter shafts?

With things like the KBS CT Tour, Mamiya Frequency Filtered, and others, is there a good alternative to the Stability Shaft? I'm adding a 1.25" to my current gamer and figure maybe I'll reshaft instead of just add an extension. Anyone toy around with any other putter shafts?
The UST shaft is nothing like the Stability or the CT Tour for what it’s worth. It’s built around vibration dampening and feedback clarity as opposed to stability with the heavier modern putter heads.

As far as pure stability/stiffness is concerned, you could install a KBS CTaper 130X shaft. If it's a 370 tip, you could even tip it down to the end of the parallel tip section to make it even stiffer. If it's a 355 hosel then you could order a wedge shaft to make it as stiff as possible.

As far as pure stability/stiffness is concerned, you could install a KBS CTaper 130X shaft. If it's a 370 tip, you could even tip it down to the end of the parallel tip section to make it even stiffer. If it's a 355 hosel then you could order a wedge shaft to make it as stiff as possible.

The UST shaft is nothing like the Stability or the CT Tour for what it’s worth. It’s built around vibration dampening and feedback clarity as opposed to stability with the heavier modern putter heads.

Interesting. I'm admittedly not up to date with the putter scene. So is the main feature of the stability shaft purely it's stiffness? And could that therefore be replicated with something akin to an extremely stiff steel or graphite shaft cut down to putter size?

Interesting. I'm admittedly not up to date with the putter scene. So is the main feature of the stability shaft purely it's stiffness? And could that therefore be replicated with something akin to an extremely stiff steel or graphite shaft cut down to putter size?
Check out the reviews on the Stability and Stability Tour on the homepage if you haven’t already, pretty thorough rundown of the design and the why’s. (y)

By going to an extremely stiff steel shaft, your likely going to also be heavier, which is a big aspect Stability and Stroke Lab avoid.

Check out the reviews on the Stability and Stability Tour on the homepage if you haven’t already, pretty thorough rundown of the design and the why’s. (y)

By going to an extremely stiff steel shaft, your likely going to also be heavier, which is a big aspect Stability and Stroke Lab avoid.

Will do. Thanks!

By going to an extremely stiff steel shaft, you're likely going to also be heavier, which is a big aspect Stability and Stroke Lab avoid.

A couple of things to get straight about the differences between the stability shaft and the stroke lab...people keep putting out incorrect info on every forum out there. The Odyssey stoke lab putter shaft and the Stability putter shaft are designed to do completely different things.

The stroke lab putter shaft is NOT designed to be ultra stiff like the Stability shaft and the Stability shaft is NOT designed to be lighter, even though it's graphite.

The stroke lab shaft weights around 75 grams and was designed to take weight out of the shaft part and move it to the head and the counter weight in the butt end of the grip. This is to increase the MOI of the entire shaft and smooth out the players stroke. The putter head weighs around 360 grams and the counter balanced weight in the butt end weighs about 30 grams. It also is NOT stiff at all like the stability shaft and, in fact, if you take the stroke lab putter and waggle it like you would a regular club, the shaft wobbles back and forth quite a bit.

The stability shaft was designed to be ultra stable and have almost zero torque. When you try and waggle a putter with this shaft installed, it will not wobble the least bit. It is also not designed to be lighter weight, and in fact weighs around 125 grams or so which is the same as a heavier weight steel putter shaft. Most basic stepped putter shafts weight around 110-115grams so it's actually heavier than even a standard steel putter shaft.

If you want an ultra stable, heavy weight putter shaft, you could either go with the stability shaft or install a very stiff, very heavy steel iron shaft like the KBS CTaper 130x, Project X 6.5 or higher, or Dynamic Gold X100. One thing to note as well, the stiffer the shaft in your putter, the feel does suffer. I personally like the ultra stiff profile of a stability shaft but it does make the putter feel much more firm to even harsh at impact depending on the putter and the ball you use.

When the Ping Sigma 2 series putters came out and had the adjustable length shafts, they were very thin in diameter to allow the adjustment mechanism to work which also made them very flexible. Some of the heavy mallet designs would wobble back and forth during a practice stroke and I felt like I was using one of those whippy shafted putter tempo training aids. The face felt like it was twisting all over the place in my hands and I could never get comfortable with the feeling during my stroke.

A couple of things to get straight about the differences between the stability shaft and the stroke lab...people keep putting out incorrect info on every forum out there. The Odyssey stoke lab putter shaft and the Stability putter shaft are designed to do completely different things.

The stroke lab putter shaft is NOT designed to be ultra stiff like the Stability shaft and the Stability shaft is NOT designed to be lighter, even though it's graphite.

The stroke lab shaft weights around 75 grams and was designed to take weight out of the shaft part and move it to the head and the counter weight in the butt end of the grip. This is to increase the MOI of the entire shaft and smooth out the players stroke. The putter head weighs around 360 grams and the counter balanced weight in the butt end weighs about 30 grams. It also is NOT stiff at all like the stability shaft and, in fact, if you take the stroke lab putter and waggle it like you would a regular club, the shaft wobbles back and forth quite a bit.

The stability shaft was designed to be ultra stable and have almost zero torque. When you try and waggle a putter with this shaft installed, it will not wobble the least bit. It is also not designed to be lighter weight, and in fact weighs around 125 grams or so which is the same as a heavier weight steel putter shaft. Most basic stepped putter shafts weight around 110-115grams so it's actually heavier than even a standard steel putter shaft.

If you want an ultra stable, heavy weight putter shaft, you could either go with the stability shaft or install a very stiff, very heavy steel iron shaft like the KBS CTaper 130x, Project X 6.5 or higher, or Dynamic Gold X100. One thing to note as well, the stiffer the shaft in your putter, the feel does suffer. I personally like the ultra stiff profile of a stability shaft but it does make the putter feel much more firm to even harsh at impact depending on the putter and the ball you use.

When the Ping Sigma 2 series putters came out and had the adjustable length shafts, they were very thin in diameter to allow the adjustment mechanism to work which also made them very flexible. Some of the heavy mallet designs would wobble back and forth during a practice stroke and I felt like I was using one of those whippy shafted putter tempo training aids. The face felt like it was twisting all over the place in my hands and I could never get comfortable with the feeling during my stroke.
I never said they were the same, I was referencing both in terms of weight on the reply you quoted.I’ve written articles on both designs, and though one is focused on stability, they are both weight conscientious in terms of trying to manage it with a familiar range while achieving the specific goals of each individual design.

You said, "By going to an extremely stiff steel shaft, you're likely going to also be heavier, which is a big aspect Stability and Stroke Lab avoid."

Stability isn't trying to avoid heavier weight which is what I was saying compared to what you stated. In fact they are heavier than most standard steel putter shafts. If you install a stability shaft, you are installing a heavier shaft into your putter, not lighter.

You said, "By going to an extremely stiff steel shaft, you're likely going to also be heavier, which is a big aspect Stability and Stroke Lab avoid."

Stability isn't trying to avoid heavier weight which is what I was saying compared to what you stated. In fact they are heavier than most standard steel putter shafts. If you install a stability shaft, you are installing a heavier shaft into your putter, not lighter.
Actually, part of the design goal was to maintain a weight very similar to that of a traditional putter shaft while increasing the stability with the acknowledgement that by traditional means of "just make it stiffer" would also increase the thickness and the weight, hence the multi material design they utilized to accomplish their design goals. A traditional steel putter shaft is in the 120-127g weight range, the Stability is 125g and the Tour is 102g.

I will add, yes, there are some steel putter shafts out there that come into a slightly lighter weight, but most companies now use a True Temper putter shaft which is in the realm I mentioned above, and what Stability was aiming to get near in weight AND balance with the original Stability and now with the Tour are lighter and have a similar, but not identical balance.

So if I was to install a KBS C taper 130X, what would the likely difference be compared to a KBS CT Tour and/or a Stability Shaft?

For reference, I currently have a Taylormade Spider X with the stock CT Tour shaft and it feels the exact same as any other putter I've rolled.

So if I was to install a KBS C taper 130X, what would the likely difference be compared to a KBS CT Tour and/or a Stability Shaft?

For reference, I currently have a Taylormade Spider X with the stock CT Tour shaft and it feels the exact same as any other putter I've rolled.
Honestly, the CT Tour is a damn good putter shaft and it’s probably not worth tinkering with if you’re considering going Ctaper.

Honestly, the CT Tour is a damn good putter shaft and it’s probably not worth tinkering with if you’re considering going Ctaper.

Yeah, no complaints with how it rolls, but I'm looking to add 1.25" of length. Sounds like I should just order another one of those and cut it down to the desired length.

Yeah, no complaints with how it rolls, but I'm looking to add 1.25" of length. Sounds like I should just order another one of those and cut it down to the desired length.

Unless you want a different model putter shaft, I would just add an extension. I’ve added and inch or two to dozens of putters that way and you won’t be able to tell the difference. I’ll also 2nd @Jman that the CT Tour is a damn good shaft. It’s my favorite putter shaft although I haven’t owned any of the $150+ putter shafts.

Unless you want a different model putter shaft, I would just add an extension. I’ve added and inch or two to dozens of putters that way and you won’t be able to tell the difference. I’ll also 2nd @Jman that the CT Tour is a damn good shaft. It’s my favorite putter shaft although I haven’t owned any of the $150+ putter shafts.

Good to know. I wasn't sure if an extension would affect anything. Good tip!

Back