Staff Predictions: 2021 Masters

Obviously not, just like a lot of other former champions. Even before the Texas Open win, I would be hard pressed to ever call Spieth a dark horse at Augusta, at least until he gets to Weir's age. He and Bubba, along with others, figured out how to play well at the course and the tournament obviously isn't moving anywhere.
He was ranked 53rd. if we eliminate big name players, former winners, etc it would be hard pressed to find someone.

So we set the bar those ranked outside of what most would consider a favorite.

I'd like to see DJ win because it would be cool to see the Nov champ win in April. But I haven't really been inspired too much by his play lately. However, look at his last handful of starts here and it's easy to expect him to be in the mix.

I don’t tend to cheer for DJ but the guy is talent level infinity and can level up at any moment. 👍

I agree with @JB's picks the most by a lot. 2nd choice would be @MWard's. I expect JT to do well, Bubba is such a wild card. He could win or MC, neither would surprise me that much.

I agree with @JB's picks the most by a lot. 2nd choice would be @MWard's. I expect JT to do well, Bubba is such a wild card. He could win or MC, neither would surprise me that much.
Yup, that’s pretty much his MO. I will say, dude is winning me over by the fact that he was at the Ladies event and out there in jacket greeting and congratulating. Does the same for the drive chip and putt, he’s a great ambassador there.

Yup, that’s pretty much his MO. I will say, dude is winning me over by the fact that he was at the Ladies event and out there in jacket greeting and congratulating. Does the same for the drive chip and putt, he’s a great ambassador there.

Agreed. He may be a head case inside the ropes, but man.. Dude puts on his green jacket and does a heck of a job cheering on events the club hosts. It’s not like he’s done it once, I mean it’s every. year .
Wouldn’t be surprised if he’s on the first tee Thursday morning to watch the first tee shots. He’s been known to be there too, but a little harder to see sometimes in the crowds

My picks must be the worst of the bunch haha. TO be fair I know @JB said outside top 25 but we were all trying to stay outside top 50 for dark horse which is why you see some of the names you do. I would have totally picked Conners as mine

I'm rooting for several of the guys you have picked. I love the Morikawa pick.. he has the consistency and game to play well anywhere. Glad to see my MC cap pick Rory.. that's who I really want to see get his game back together and complete the grand slam. Interesting that no one went Hovland though.

I really dig @MWard's picks.
Not really sure about @Jman's dark horse (maybe because Poulter has let me down so much), but my guess is that @JB has the best showing This week. Spieth as a dark horse is an absolute steal. Love this post.

My picks must be the worst of the bunch haha. TO be fair I know @JB said outside top 25 but we were all trying to stay outside top 50 for dark horse which is why you see some of the names you do. I would have totally picked Conners as mine

I tried. You yelled at me haha

When we originally said outside 25 I was looking straight at Scheffler. Then he played well at Match Play and I backed off. But I wouldn't be shocked to see him have a strong week here.

@ddec with the flex on all of us in his photo, sitting there at 9 green is also pretty remarkable.

I tried. You yelled at me haha

When we originally said outside 25 I was looking straight at Scheffler. Then he played well at Match Play and I backed off. But I wouldn't be shocked to see him have a strong week here.
I yelled because that was my guy but he didn't fit the criteria we all chose from :ROFLMAO: so I couldn't let you choose him

My top choice would be with @MWard and then @JB . I would say if I had to pick someone way off base it would be @Canadan or @Jman mainly because Finau can't close and I hope Patrick Reid doesn't win another green jacket. Dude is a tool, lol.
I went with fun picks more than anything - Hughes being 50+ and a Canadian, I thought it would be a riot to watch him come out of nowhere.

And Finau? Well, I'll always root for him to break through.

I went with fun picks more than anything - Hughes being 50+ and a Canadian, I thought it would be a riot to watch him come out of nowhere.

And Finau? Well, I'll always root for him to break through.

The irony is, I picked the two guys that I think make the biggest story in golf. I'm not sure what will play out here, but both of them are good for the popularity of the game moving forward by winning.

Dan might be reaching a bit, the way Finau has played the past couple weeks. Surprised that nobody had Conners as a dark horse, given his course history.
I'm always reaching. If i was going for absolutes I'd just root for a DJ repeat.

@Canadan with the pick no one saw coming and I'm here for it! I also think this course plays to Morikawa's strengths. We'll see how he fairs this week. Overall, I'm going with @MWard on this one.

The irony is, I picked the two guys that I think make the biggest story in golf. I'm not sure what will play out here, but both of them are good for the popularity of the game moving forward by winning.
I knew both would get picked so I left them on the table. Bryson winning would be a great story - even better if he played the course to the par he claimed it was.. and Spieth winning anything is a great story for the game, as we've confirmed recently.

Even without the win last week though, I struggle with seeing Spieth as a dark horse (if we also ignored the criteria we put in place). He's had a strong year, continues to improve, and is perfectly capable of performing on Augusta National.

I yelled because that was my guy but he didn't fit the criteria we all chose from :ROFLMAO: so I couldn't let you choose him

Sounds like sour grapes to Mee haha

Just so you all know....if Conners win, so do Jdtox and I.

I actually like the Rory pick. I know his track record hasn't been the best, but he is the golfer that would not surprise me to figure it out and make a run. Too much talent there.

Dan might be reaching a bit, the way Finau has played the past couple weeks. Surprised that nobody had Conners as a dark horse, given his course history.
Finau is a garbage putter on Bermuda grass. He Always does well out west and then struggles in Florida, then does well at Augusta.

I like @MWard here. JT is in a good place with his game and is capable of winning his second Major. And his dark horse already has two Masters wins. Maybe being back at Augusta will generate something good in Bubba’s game.
Gotta agree with this. JT is definitely capable and his game looks like he could do it. Also, caught Bubba in an interview yesterday. He's never been my first pick for winning events, but his comments seemed sincere and really changed the way i perceive him. He seemed to be in a really good place physically and mentally. With the attitude he displayed "if i never won another tournament, i will still be happy... i've already exceeded expectations" is pretty demonstrative of a guy that can put it all out there with nothing to lose.

Give me JT on the top line and my dark horse would be Sebastian Munoz.

Wow nobody with the same picks! Are we sure this wasn’t a coordinated effort? JB’s picks looking strong with par 67 and that guy from Texas. Shocking to see Canadan with a Canadian darkhorse, but I’d pull for Hughes and definitely Finau! Jman with the villains and I don’t hate it! Would be fun to see either of Jdtox’s picks in a green jacket. Ddec with the precision Morikawa and bomber Champ, he does know this isn’t a scramble right? And who’s going to make the putts? MWard with JT and Bubba - you never know what could happen there, I think we could see some magic! Man, now I need to make my picks!

I like @MWard choices. Justin was my pic and I think it is his time.

I like Conners too. Rory is a good pick, he just isn't hot at all so it's hard for everyone else to get on board. Probably a good time to bet on him though.

I'm with @ddec here - with Morikawa's ball striking he's got to be in with a very good look...

Back