Staff Predictions: 2021 US Open

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Last week we got together as a staff and made predictions for the 2021 US Open. We were tasked with choosing the winner, as well as a dark horse, someone not ranked in the top 50 that we thought had a chance to make a splash and pick up the win.

US-OPen-Picks-1024x723.png

Taking a look at the graphic above, what do you think? None of the staff agreed on the winner selections, but we did have a couple predict the same dark horse outside of the top 50.

Who do you agree with? Who do you think is way off base? Give us your thoughts below. Also, do not forget to enter our 2021 US Open Contest sponsored by Callaway Golf going on right here. You can make your prediction and win a brand new Callaway Epic Max driver.

Continue reading...

Like the Rahm pick as he’ll be a little red after the Memorial looking for a scorched earth approach this week. Hopefully it’ll pan out for him, Cantlay and Schauffle are solid as well especially for this type of setup.

Like most but doubt Phil or DJ will win. Lightening in a bottle two majors in a row? DJ just isn't his #1 self 🤷🏼‍♂️

Agree with the Seagull as a good dark horse!

I like the Rahm and Reed picks.

I like the rahm pick but i think he’s just too easily ticked off so soon after that Covid issue.
Phil is a great sentimental choice but had to believe i think it could change the whole of golf for him to win two majors at his age.

i like the reed choice of those offered the best. No idea exactly why sh!tburgers for everyone maybe?

none of the dark horses work for me, hoffman will contend thus thurs/fri then sadly disappear. He seems to do this all the time.

Fun picks. Rahm, Schauffele, and Reed feel like they could win, esp. looking at who plays well there from the Farmers. Enjoy seeing Hoffman as a dark horse. Would love to see Mickelson in contention. Local boys Phil and Xander on the Sunday leaderboard would be a great storyline.

I will be curious to see how Hovland and Morikawa play. They are the stand outs their cohort. I expect Zalatoris will play well too.

Having a hard time making my pick. I’m usually terrible at it.

While it would make great TV and most golfer’s dreams, can’t see Phil even in competition for first place. Surprised no one went with a younger player for winner or dark horse. All established players.

Like the woodland dark horse

I am right there with @Jman, I think Schauffele is going to play well on the hometown track. But you never know. Woodland is always a threat too, would love to see him pick up a 2nd US Open.

As for @Canadan's Phil pick, maaaaaan I'd love to see him string majors together and slay his US Open dragon...but I think it's super unlikely. Phil gonna Phil, his style doesn't usually lend itself to consistent performances, usually more lightning in a bottle type runs...but I hope I'm wrong!

I equate Xander Schauffle to Kirk Cousins! Can’t bet on them anymore because I have been burned by them too many times! When that bright lights are on and in primetime, they both seem to choke.

I am right there with @Jman, I think Schauffele is going to play well on the hometown track. But you never know. Woodland is always a threat too, would love to see him pick up a 2nd US Open.

As for @Canadan's Phil pick, maaaaaan I'd love to see him string majors together and slay his US Open dragon...but I think it's super unlikely. Phil gonna Phil, his style doesn't usually lend itself to consistent performances, usually more lightning in a bottle type runs...but I hope I'm wrong!
I was just having some fun. We all want to see it, we all know it's a long shot.

DJ finished with a 73-70 last week to make his opening two rounds look more like a bump than a curve.
Reed is a great obvious pick with the earlier year win at Torrey, but picking him is like not washing your hands after taking a dump.
I think Rahm is a great pick considering his recent play and his SG off the tee, but he's still Jon Rahm.
Justin Thomas would let me down if I picked him.
Tony Finau would let me down if I picked him (after Thursday).

So I went for the fun pick.... and I am still mad at Luke List for not qualifying as I think he was a great sleeper haha

Anyone else super disappointed that @JB didn't go for the double down on Bryson?
I thought about it. I didn't think his game would translate to TP in these conditions. But I thought about it.
I was still upset Wardy didn't take Tiger.

I thought about it. I didn't think his game would translate to TP in these conditions. But I thought about it.
I was still upset Wardy didn't take Tiger.
I was expecting him to take the Tiger knockoff, but apparently Dean beat him to the punch.

None of it matters though. You're all about to witness 💣🔥💣🔥💣🔥💣🔥💣🔥💣🔥💣🔥💣🔥💣 Lefty style.

Surprised there are no Bryson picks..

I was expecting him to take the Tiger knockoff, but apparently Dean beat him to the punch.

None of it matters though. You're all about to witness 💣🔥💣🔥💣🔥💣🔥💣🔥💣🔥💣🔥💣🔥💣 Lefty style.
And @jdtox with the short hitter

Surprised there are no Bryson picks..
I really thought about it, but I thought it would be fun to have Phil in the graphic.

Also, I just assumed the pick was a lock already as noted haha - I like to be different.

I was just having some fun. We all want to see it, we all know it's a long shot.

DJ finished with a 73-70 last week to make his opening two rounds look more like a bump than a curve.
Reed is a great obvious pick with the earlier year win at Torrey, but picking him is like not washing your hands after taking a dump.
I think Rahm is a great pick considering his recent play and his SG off the tee, but he's still Jon Rahm.
Justin Thomas would let me down if I picked him.
Tony Finau would let me down if I picked him (after Thursday).

So I went for the fun pick.... and I am still mad at Luke List for not qualifying as I think he was a great sleeper haha

Oh man I just choked on my tea with your Reed comment LOL...I feel the same way about him, he's such a scuzzball. I'd feel like I soiled myself if I won picking him 😆

I really thought about it, but I thought it would be fun to have Phil in the graphic.

Also, I just assumed the pick was a lock already as noted haha - I like to be different.

I dig the Phil pick. He is the emotional pick that "could" pull it off. I would love love love for him to win.

I dig the Phil pick. He is the emotional pick that "could" pull it off. I would love love love for him to win.
Is there a better possible story this week? I love the idea of it.

And @jdtox with the short hitter
He may be short but he seems to play well in Opens. Plus over 50th in rankings is tough sledding haha

• Haha
Reactions: JB
Back