Standard or up-charge shafts with your club purchases?

If you keep the club for 4 years, it amortizes well. Or if you say, buy the 2020 Callaway and want to buy the 2024 Callaway, keep the same expensive shaft with the same OEM.

I've done that with my fairways and hybrids - bought the aftermarket shafts and have saved them for the newest model - ie, Tour Edge EX10 to Tour Edge EXS 220
And swapping tips is not that expensive either. A competent builder won't damage the tip section

I want to do a fitting, so if they tell me these up charged shafts are the correct ones well by golly those are it. Other than that, no I’ve never went with up-charge because I got no idea what I’m doing or buying...

And swapping tips is not that expensive either. A competent builder won't damage the tip section

I was charged $43 for a tip and install. Most tips seem to be between $20-25.

I recently went in for a fitting with a one of the larger, national companies. Experience was great and very informative. But at the end, talk about sticker shock! The driver was quoted $1,100! The driver was ~ $600 and custom shaft was nearly $400, plus the grip. Do people really spend this kind of coin on one club? I did hit this club better than my current driver, which is 4 years old. Thinking back, I should have asked the fitter to compare the stock shaft that comes with the driver, but I forgot. To Summit's point, I guess it is up to each golfer to determine if there is value in that kind of a purchase, but curious to what others think.

I think it's important to just communicate your budget, or at least that's what I plan to do as I go into fittings for the higher end of my bag.

I have always had good luck with the stock shafts in drivers with out issues. Irons I let the fitter go with what is best.

Also, something to note. For most OEMs they have a pretty large selection of no upcharge shafts.

A lot of OEMs are using shafts to help distinguish themselves from competitors as well. Titleist moved to the Featured Shafts idea, Cobra has upped their game with Fujikura putting Atmos TS as standarand. Supposedly Motore X will be featured next year.

Even digging into the catalog, most of the OEMs have some pretty solid options that aren't listed as stock, but are no upcharge.

It all boils down the performance benefits and cost, some people want the absolute best performance while others look for the best bang for their buck. Personally, I will find the best performing combination for me. As it turned out this time, the Tensei AV Raw White was best in the driver and 3 wood which is a featured shaft from Titleist. I use aftermarket shafts in my irons and wedges, as they give me better consistency and flight characteristics.

It all boils down the performance benefits and cost, some people want the absolute best performance while others look for the best bang for their buck. Personally, I will find the best performing combination for me. As it turned out this time, the Tensei AV Raw White was best in the driver and 3 wood which is a featured shaft from Titleist. I use aftermarket shafts in my irons and wedges, as they give me better consistency and flight characteristics.
Thanks for your opinion. Great that you did well with the stock shafts. I just wish that I had thought about asking the fitter to let me try out the stock shafts as well. (I don't know if its their sales strategy to omit the stock shafts or not - I'm thinking no) I might go to one of the big box stores and try out the stock shafts and see how they perform. I'm willing to give up a little performance for several hundred dollars.

Do you prefer the standard shafts club makers provide or do you buy up-charged shafts when you buy equipment?

If I buy up-charged custom shafts, I tend to do it for woods over irons and wedges. I don’t think I’ve ever bought a speciality shaft for a putter either, but curious what all of you do..
Standard because theres really nothing to be gained with an expensive shaft and because upcharges on shafts are probably one of the biggest ripoffs in golf.

Standard because theres really nothing to be gained with an expensive shaft and because upcharges on shafts are probably one of the biggest ripoffs in golf.

While this can be a popular opinion of some, it’s not always true. I am looking for more golfers in my area that share your opinion. I’m wanting to do a video series next summer taking 3 gear junkies and 3 gear “deniers” (awful term, but I’ll get a better one) and go through budget fittings with the gear junkies and full out custom fittings with the deniers and then track their scores the rest of the season and see if they improve or not.

The biggest ripoffs in golf are golf clothes, at least in my opinion.

While this can be a popular opinion of some, it’s not always true. I am looking for more golfers in my area that share your opinion. I’m wanting to do a video series next summer taking 3 gear junkies and 3 gear “deniers” (awful term, but I’ll get a better one) and go through budget fittings with the gear junkies and full out custom fittings with the deniers and then track their scores the rest of the season and see if they improve or not.

The biggest ripoffs in golf are golf clothes, at least in my opinion.
100% agree, I work with both types of players, for those that are more budget conscious the performance with an upcharge shaft, forget about full aftermarket, almost never justifies the cost. There is nothing wrong with that outlook, but it does potentially leave some performance on the table, despite many companies offering very solid performing shafts as stock/no upcharge options.

Also completely agree on clothing being the most insane markups in golf.

I recently went in for a fitting with a one of the larger, national companies. Experience was great and very informative. But at the end, talk about sticker shock! The driver was quoted $1,100! The driver was ~ $600 and custom shaft was nearly $400, plus the grip. Do people really spend this kind of coin on one club? I did hit this club better than my current driver, which is 4 years old. Thinking back, I should have asked the fitter to compare the stock shaft that comes with the driver, but I forgot. To Summit's point, I guess it is up to each golfer to determine if there is value in that kind of a purchase, but curious to what others think.

This is what I'm talking about. I want to get fit for the new Ping G425 MAX at like a Club Champion but I want them to fit me first in the stock shafts like the Ping Tour or Tensei Orange shafts. Then fit me in the high end stuff like a Ventus w Velocore Blue/Red or a Graphite Design shaft. Those are well over $300. Then show me the numbers and let me feel the difference. Then I'll know what needs to be done and I'll be a happy customer knowing for sure.

That is your experience? I ask because you make a blanket statement without facts.

Having never been fit, I don't upgrade because I don't know what does and doesn't work for me... and there's no way I can rationalize $1,100 for a single club. Almost all of my clubs are used and a few seasons old when I get them

Back