Standards in Putter Builds/Fittings

-CRW-

Reaction score
Like Ping does with static measurements for fittings, does there seem to be a consensus among OEM’s on any standards for length based on height, head weight for length, swing weight, etc.?

I saw this interview is Rife from 2017 where he states his thoughts:

http://www.golfalot.com/equipment-news/guerin-rife-evnroll-putter-interview-3827.aspx

What started this for me was the putter is where my son looses the most strokes in a round/tournament. He’s usually automatic from 4-6 feet, but distance control is bad. He went through a SAM PuttLab session as part of a putting class series and everything came back exceptional except for too much rotation through impact. He got to near 0*/straight at impact every time, but we think a larger grip might take some of that out. So the instructors thought was length and head weight/swing weight is playing a roll in the lag putting.

We started by swapping out weights in his putter to very heavy and worked out way back down some over a period of a month or so. He’s still having distance control issues, especially on fast putts that are downhill or have a lot of break. So we ended up cutting the length down to 33” (he’s 5’7”) and the weights we had in the head already put the swing weight to Rife’s recommended D7 swing weight. He had a pistol gtr 1.0 and moved up to a Flatso 2.0.

We will test for another month or two, but I wanted to post here to see what other thoughts/data might be out there when it comes to fitting standards as a starting point/reference.

-CRW-;n8903081 said:
Like Ping does with static measurements for fittings, does there seem to be a consensus among OEM’s on any standards for length based on height, head weight for length, swing weight, etc.?

I saw this interview is Rife from 2017 where he states his thoughts:

http://www.golfalot.com/equipment-news/guerin-rife-evnroll-putter-interview-3827.aspx

What started this for me was the putter is where my son looses the most strokes in a round/tournament. He’s usually automatic from 4-6 feet, but distance control is bad. He went through a SAM PuttLab session as part of a putting class series and everything came back exceptional except for too much rotation through impact. He got to near 0*/straight at impact every time, but we think a larger grip might take some of that out. So the instructors thought was length and head weight/swing weight is playing a roll in the lag putting.

We started by swapping out weights in his putter to very heavy and worked out way back down some over a period of a month or so. He’s still having distance control issues, especially on fast putts that are downhill or have a lot of break. So we ended up cutting the length down to 33” (he’s 5’7”) and the weights we had in the head already put the swing weight to Rife’s recommended D7 swing weight. He had a pistol gtr 1.0 and moved up to a Flatso 2.0.

We will test for another month or two, but I wanted to post here to see what other thoughts/data might be out there when it comes to fitting standards as a starting point/reference.

My internet forum reading leads me to believe putter fittings are limited in terms of putter length , head weight, and grip weight. My guess is that most fitters have putters ranging from about 32" to 35", with heads weights ranging from 340 to 370.
I believe the very best way to "fit" for a putter is for the player to play rounds of golf with a particular length-head weight-grip weight combination, then play more rounds with a different combination, and more rounds with a third combination etc....Thru trial and error the player will ultimately find a putter length-head weight-grip weight combination that works well for him (or her).

Bumped for day time crews thoughts.

Back