Started last fall - and a question

Daluteh

Touring Purple - 2024 Bag Boy Championship
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
I realized I never put up an intro thread for myself, I bought a set of clubs last fall from Amazon so I got a couple months of play in last year and just going to start up again this year. Just put in my albatross membership this morning, seems like it's for a good cause.

Before last year, maybe played a couple of times a year with my FIL and BIL, my family doesn't play and I don't (didn't) play. I played some HS/College sports so I'm typically mildly athletic in the spectrum, but that was almost 20 years ago now. Just getting into golfing and it's fun, I'm not good but I also don't care it gives me an excuse to be outside and my wife is happy it's a low impact sport as opposed to my previous ones.

The question comes in for old / used / secondhand items. I see in the WTB/WTS forum that a lot of that stuff is high end, is there a good place for older used stuff, not talking 20 year old items but where do people typically sell their old irons / drivers / golf bags from 2-3 years ago. My wife (and I) doesn't mind that I buy stuff but at the same time doesn't want me spending a lot of money on items when they may be replaced in a year or two if/when I get better.

Glad to meet you all, once again. Everyone here has been wonderful, it's testament to the quality of the site you have and we all use.

Callaway Preowned is where a lot of guys go for used clubs. They have other brands as well. You can get a good deal there and they run some form of special every week. If you are eyeballing some irons just wait for them to run an additional XX% promo on irons for example. Their service is great and often the items that are Callaway marked “Like New” show up with the plastic still covering the heads.

Dont know what retail stores are near you. We have a Nevada bob's near us that has a ton and i mean a ton, of used clubs, and i assume other retailers may have the same. Call around.

Did you check feebay?

I’d second Callaway Preowned as a great option.

the great thing is that you don’t HAVE to “upgrade” clubs when you improve if you don’t want to. Modern clubs typically have enough tech built in that you get forgiveness and distance so you’re not having to necessarily sacrifice one for the other as you get better.

Another option would be to put a WTB in the THP marketplace, with what you are looking for. Never know what someone might just have sitting around collecting dust that they'd be glad to sell to you. Best of luck!

Dont know what retail stores are near you. We have a Nevada bob's near us that has a ton and i mean a ton, of used clubs, and i assume other retailers may have the same. Call around.

Did you check feebay?

Yes, definitely check local golf stores as they likely have used clubs for sale. You can find iron sets, individual woods, wedges and putters. Especially if the retailer accepts trade ins.

Thanks all. I'll try the Callaway preowned for clubs when I'm looking to upgrade. Maybe I will put a WTB in the marketplace here with just looking for a bag that's a couple years old to hold my stuff as I slowly upgrade.

We don't actually have much for stores around where I am, there's a Sheels close or a Walmart but we're not really a hot bed of golf activity until you get to the twin cities in MN which is a couple hours away.

Check your local Facebook Marketplace. Sometimes you can find bags on there cheap. I picked up a brand new limited edition bag for $40 on there when I first started the playing.

I second the recommendations for both Callaway Preowned and a WTB in the forum. I’m sure there are a ton of guys here with reasonably recent clubs they’ve moved on from, and selling them means they’d get to buy more new stuff! 😆

You can also post up a WTB in the buy/sell/trade thread. Lots of folks here have a few extra sticks. You RH or LH?

RH - all great feedback. I've looked at FB marketplace, never anything good (yet) in my area. I think I'll put up a WTB as well.

Callaway Preowned is where a lot of guys go for used clubs. They have other brands as well. You can get a good deal there and they run some form of special every week. If you are eyeballing some irons just wait for them to run an additional XX% promo on irons for example. Their service is great and often the items that are Callaway marked “Like New” show up with the plastic still covering the heads.

I was going to suggest Smiter Pre-Owned but Callaway probably has a slightly bigger selection. Slightly.

Welcome to THP! Now what driver can I fit you into? 🤣

If you ever make your way to Minneapolis St Paul area, the 2nd swing stores are excellent. They have a lot of used clubs from several generations.

I was going to suggest Smiter Pre-Owned but Callaway probably has a slightly bigger selection. Slightly.

Welcome to THP! Now what driver can I fit you into? 🤣

Whatever driver works for someone with a lower swing speed and bad aim! =) Every time I look at drivers my wife gives me "the eyes" so needless to say I'm still without one.

Don't know if you've got Play it Again Sports in your area? (there should be, they started out in Minneapolis). I've been to a few near me and have seen some very decent, relatively new equipment for sale... everything from full bags to iron sets and separates... might be worth a look and you'll get to fondle before you buy.

Whatever driver works for someone with a lower swing speed and bad aim! =) Every time I look at drivers my wife gives me "the eyes" so needless to say I'm still without one.

Damn. I’d be rich if I owned a bunch of those, 🤣. Most everything I’ve got is low loft and X-flex but lemme check the club room in a bit. I “may” have just the ticket (if I still have and can locate it).

If you ever make your way to Minneapolis St Paul area, the 2nd swing stores are excellent. They have a lot of used clubs from several generations.

I'm from around the DC area, but will add that 2nd Swing is excellent.

Check Facebook marketplace in your area and play it again sports. You can find some solid used gear you just have to be selective.

Welcome

:welcome:

Hope you find what your looking for.

Don't forget Budget Golf!

Like has been said, clubs made within the pat few years have enough tech in them to carry you for several years. So buy with confidence!

Welcome to THP! I have found some nice clubs locally on OfferUp, always a bit of risk buying from a stranger but you can get some good deals. This forum is a great place to ask about clubs before purchasing if you’re unsure about the clubs or price you’re looking at.

Back