Started with golf - looking for swing advice / really appreciate your help

Hi S. I'm no teacher or pro but a couple things have helped me get that HCP from a 25 to a 18:
-Golf is hard. Tiny little ball, small hitting surface, mostly uneven ground...I gotta give myself a break
-Setup, Grip, stance, posture, ball position-figure out where each club bottoms out...for you
-Slo motion swinging with no ball-I try to do 60-75 two or three times a week. Helps you concentrate on the swing. Get a mirror if possible. Very humbling, lol. You don't have to worry about the outcome.
-At a range-don't just beat balls while working through the clubs in your bag...I used to hit a club until I hit a good one, then change club...felt like I had it down. On the course it was still shite. Started just hitting too targets. Over time used all my irons and wedges to the same targets. That forced me to figure out what to do with each club for that distance. Sort of like ball...you figured out how to hit to open spots in the outfield based on how they defended against you
-Get yourself some type of measuring device (GPS watch, whatever) and figure out your distances per club. They'll improve with time, but at least you'll know what club you "should"use.
-For us high cappers, birdies will not help us as much as reducing doubles and triples. Don't follow a bad shot (we all have them) with a stupid shot. If you can't make a shot 75% of the time...don't play the hero shot
-Work on one thing at a time-otherwise you'll never know if that one change is working, or not.
-Don't lose that speed...distance is important

Go talk to one of those pros in Prague, they might be the golf human who can help you. Worse case, you take a lesson and find you don't care for them and stop...or...maybe they are a div 2 or 3 from the states, a great person who can help your golf game and you make a golf friend for life.

Check this 👇 out...It depends! 😉

Interesting, thanks. I’ll still contend that developing swing speed early in baseball translates to CHS in golf.

Maybe consistency is an issue however I contend that anyone hitting further than average has more consistency issues in general than someone that doesn’t hit it as far.

Interesting, thanks. I’ll still contend that developing swing speed early in baseball translates to CHS in golf.

Maybe consistency is an issue however I contend that anyone hitting further than average has more consistency issues in general than someone that doesn’t hit it as far.
The motion patterns for baseball hitters is "off" for golf...baseball pitchers, it's "game-on". This is why you see so many great pitchers and not hitters in the top athlete golfers category for baseball; not to mention they only play once a week, so have time to play golf. There is some good things happening with baseball/softball hitters, and some motions that need to be reworked, which requires more involvement than some re-shared "tips" from YouTube; no offense folks. 😂😂😂

We see a ton of high level athletes, mostly former Pro Football players 😉in Chicago, so this isn't new to us. As Tim mentioned, Hockey players easily transfer to golf, so do Musicians who work well with us because they're used to practicing and training the way we ask people to; start with each micro-motion and then stack them on top of one another, then add a club down the road, once your body knows how to repeat the pattern.

Being a pro athlete, I am sure you can appreciate what advice I am going to give.

Get lessons.
Practice with a purpose.
Get more lessons.

You obviously have athletic ability. A good coach will bring you up to speed and ability faster than you think.

The motion patterns for baseball hitters is "off" for golf...baseball pitchers, it's "game-on". This is why you see so many great pitchers and not hitters in the top athlete golfers category for baseball; not to mention they only play once a week, so have time to play golf. There is some good things happening with baseball/softball hitters, and some motions that need to be reworked, which requires more involvement than some re-shared "tips" from YouTube; no offense folks. 😂😂😂

We see a ton of high level athletes, mostly former Pro Football players 😉in Chicago, so this isn't new to us. As Tim mentioned, Hockey players easily transfer to golf, so do Musicians who work well with us because they're used to practicing and training the way we ask people to; start with each micro-motion and then stack them on top of one another, then add a club down the road, once your body knows how to repeat the pattern.

Makes sense, my oldest boy plays a mean guitar (but stinks at golf, lol) but I see how he practices with that, so I could see him being very receptive to building a swing from scratch.

My middle son is a baseball player/golfer. He’s very talented at both but isn’t nearly as receptive. His golf swing looks and works very well until you high speed camera/actually analyze all the numbers. His weight is so far forward at impact that even hitting up 8* with an 11* driver he launches at 10-11%. In effect his hands are so far ahead that he’s hitting a club with 2-3* of effective loft.

Trying to get him to change his swing has been difficult. I see his points, it works, he’s very consistent. On the other hand, I don’t know how much more he can improve off the tee without changing it. I’m not going to force it on him, but this is the year (he’ll be a sophomore) to change it. Hopefully he nails it down and can start really competing in high level JR events. I know he kicks my butt on the course most of the time, lol.

At any rate, good talking to you, welcome to THP!

Hello guys!

today I have been at a driving range - and it wasn't very good feel 😕

Two days back I tried to focus on body rotation, swinging in to out & keeping arms connected and it felt really good -> I thought I finally cracked it 😄 But --

Today I tried the same thing, but with different & not good results.

But -- I recorded two of my swings (It's 3 hybrid). It's not very nice, but that's how it was today 🙂 - if you have any advice / points / ideas, please let me know, I'd really appreciate it.

(To me, it looks there is too much movement of lead leg during the backswing (backswing looks too long to me btw), I cast the club early a bit and there is some flip at/after impact - maybe the weight/force transfer isn't very good too)...

Thanks!

Legs are fine, it’s some other things that need work.

Start with getting a better Setup, more balanced and stand a little taller. [Then get down on downswing.] Watch some video of Barry Bonds hit a baseball to get the idea. 😉

Once you get right SetUp u need to work on getting club back better and your backswing. Backswing is waaay too flat (Shoulders) and you need to keep the club outside your hands on the takeaway. It gets ripped inside, which sets you up for failure right from the start.

You are releasing early. Guess is that the club face is open and early releasing of your angles is your Current squaring mechanism, but there are a few things that can cause this.

Work impact and get your hands over your left shoe from face on at impact. Take very short swings. Then open your chest more through impact (more rotation). Once you do that go back to getting backswing better and then making sure face is squared up.

Last edited:
It looks like you have tremendous upper body strength you can probably relax everything & slow everything down to smooth things out. I beleive Baseball hitting fundamentals , along with Tennis can be applied in Golf.
John

Back